AMA Dual Sport Series sponsored by KTM

IMRiz

PR Member
Dual sport riding is a lot of fun! That's the only way I can summarize it. Basically, local riding groups string together large private land owner's for permission to ride trails made by the clubs across their land for one or two days. Most of the trail is exclusive other than times when strung together with parts of Wayne national and other forests or road sections to get to the next trail head. therefore your bike has to be legal (wink wink) with a plate of some sorts. Most rides are two days, 200 miles or more total, with different level sections for all riders, lunch at the halfway points both days, a barbecue on Saturday night, breakfast available on Sunday, and usually all kinds of donated door prizes. The trails are laid out and marked by a local riding club raising money for operations and also a local charity. therefore the rides are welcome in these small mountainous communities. Hanging Rock 200 even provides food and bike wash after Saturday's leg of the ride at the Zelinski Fire Department by the firefighters and volunteers. Every year a record amount of money is raised and that small town loves the Hanging Rock dual sporters. Camping and Cabins are available at some of the most beautiful surroundings, we carry tools, tubes, plugs, food, water, everything that you could maybe need because much of the ride is in the middle of nowhere. A gas truck or the route will visit a few stations for fuel, usually around the 60-75 mile marks, some of us carry pre-measured 2-stroke oil and others just twist a cap, but be sure to top off your tank.

Most of the events are sponsored by the AMA and KTM. There are a few other local events that we like to ride too. A great beginner event is twice a year at the BSA Rally in Toronto, Ohio, The Reliability Run, which includes vintage bikes of all kinds. It's tough stuff so don't think it's all easy. The first half of last year they were all in the down-pouring rain.

All ages participate, and we see the same faces over and over. It's a great time and I hope it continues to grow. In 2010, I don't know the official stats but they average 250 riders I'd say. The Baby Burr in McArthur Ohio served lunch on top of a grassy mountain with an awesome view of the Ohio country side. There is also a very tough Caveman section usually that awards prizes. Youtube search that sometime if you think this stuff is sissy riding. Generally I'd call the trails extreme, or very challenging. Add in the rain and possible mechanical issues, dual sport riding offers plenty of challenge. Enjoy your quest of learning more or commenting on this growing sport. Oh yea, and it's dominated (and sponsored) by KTM's. I still like my Husky, true to the yellow & blue!

Watch this video to learn more...

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/stnlKbCcJEw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/stnlKbCcJEw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Here is the 2011 AMA KTM National Dual Sport Trail Riding Series Schedule, beginning officially on May 21-22 in Zaleski, Ohio.

Renfro Valley Dual Sport Ride May 7 - 8, 2011 Renfro Valley Dual Sport
Location: Mt. Vernon, KY Contact: Paul at 513-553-6662 or Ron at millerron@bellsouth.net

Hanging Rock 200, May 21-22, 2011 in Zaleski OH
Bill Kaeppner, Buckeye Dual Sporters (740)380-3050
kaeppners@verizon.net or www.kaeppnerswoods.com

SHOW ME 200, June 4-5, 2011 in Bixby, MO
Robert Kaufman of Midwest Trail Riders Assoc. at (314)343-5095
ridemtra@hotmail.com or www.ridemtra.com

Durty Dabbers National Dual Sport, June 4-5, 2011 in Mill Hall, PA
Nils Mantzoros, Durty Dabbers (570)726-3343
nmantzoros@comcast.net or www.durtydabbers.com

Black Dog Dual Sport, June 4-5, 2011 in Odell, Ore.
NW Tour & Trail, Tom Niemela (503)681-8881
www.Blackdogdualsport.com

Fort Rock National Dual Sport, June 25-26 in Fort Rock, Ore.
Lobos MC, Billy Toman (503)656-5801
N7WXD@aol.com or www.lobosmc.com

Buffalo 500 D/S Adventure Ride, August 20-21, 2011 in Columbus IN
4 mi. W of I-65 on SR 46
Nathan Gaskill, Stoney Lonesome MC, (812)343-9772
ngaskill59@gmail.com or www.stoneylonesomemc.com

Black Diamonds: New Straightsville Enduro Riders, September 3-4, 2011
Steve Wheeler, (740)394-2220
www.NSEnduro.com

LBL 200, September 10-11, 2011 in Golden Pond, KY
Jesse Thomas of KT Riders (270)522-3703
ginny42211@yahoo.com

Nutcracker 200, September 24-25, 2011 in Logan OH
1.25 mi. N of Rt. 33 on Rt. 93
Bill Kaeppner of Buckeye Dual Sporters (740)380-3050
kaeppners@verizon.net or www.kaeppnerswoods.com

Shenandoah 500 Dual Sport Mt. Solon, VA, October 1-2, 2011
NVTA, Detter Merz, (703)505-9123
www.nvtr.org

Baby Burr National Dual Sport, October 8-9, 2011 in McArthur OH
1 mi. N of town on SR93
Steve Barber of Enduro Riders Assoc. (614)582-7821
sbarber@att.net or www.enduroriders.com

Meteor Ride in the Pines, October 29-30, 2011 in Chatsworth NJ
Mike Fitzpatrick of Meteor Motorcycle Club Inc (609)654-5015
meteormc.com

Hammer Run, November 5-6, 2011 in Port Elizabeth NJ
Rt. 55 S to Rt. 548
Eldin Polhamus of Tri-County Sportsmen MC (856)785-2754
hammerhead@teamhammer.org or www.teamhammer.org

14th Annual Teerlingua National DS, November 12-13, 2011
Trail Riders of Houston, Jack Jennings (713)248-7222
www.TRH-Cycle.org

LA-Barstow to Vegas, November 25-26, 2011
AMA District 37 Dual Sport
Paul Flanders, (626)792-7384
www.District37AMA.org

Here's a good video promoting the Flint Ridge Dual Sport. This is a great event in where the camping is right there in the Flint Ridge State Park. Great single track riding, no 4-wheeler trails at all. Check out the helmet cam footage.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9a5b4LlO8A&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9a5b4LlO8A&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Also, check this out. As all of us that participated in the KTM AMA Dual Sport Series all season long were automatically entered into a contest for a free KTM 530 EXC motorcycle. This guy enters his first event and wins it, one entry. Go figure...

http://www.ama-cycle.org/roadride/story.asp?id=1785

Here is a more comprehensive list of 2011 dual sports and enduro's:

* 2011-01-15 - SC - Broxton Bridge Dualsport
* 2011-01-16 - SC - Broxton Bridge Enduro
* 2011-02-24 - AZ - Dualsport Desert Daze
* 2011-03-27 - OH - Black Bear Enduro
* 2011-04-10 - OH - Moonshine Enduro
* 2011-04-17 - OH - Cabin Fever Road Enduro
* 2011-04-17 - CA - Ride for Kids
* 2011-05-01 - OH - ADR Road Enduro
* 2011-05-21 - OH - Hanging Rock 200
* 2011-05-22 - OH - Lost in Lodi Enduro
* 2011-06-04 - MI - Whiskey Creek DS
* 2011-06-04 - OR - Blackdog Dualsport
* 2011-06-05 - OH - Art Michell Mem. Enduro
* 2011-06-18 - IL - Cow Patty Cruise
* 2011-06-26 - OH - Flint Ridge Dualsport
* 2011-07-09 - OH - ADR Family Enduro
* 2011-07-10 - OH - Little Racoon Classic
* 2011-07-17 - OH - Bootleg DS & Enduro
* 2011-07-23 - MI - Six Days of Michigan
* 2011-08-14 - OH - Little Burr
* 2011-08-20 - IN - Buffaloe 500 Dualsport
* 2011-08-28 - OH - Big Muskee Nat. Enduro
* 2011-09-17 - OH - Nutcracker DS & ADV
* 2011-09-18 - OH - Milkrun Enduro
* 2011-09-24 - MI - Ted's Chandler Dualsport
* 2011-10-07 - CA - Bishop Dualsport
* 2011-10-08 - WA - Shelton Valley DS
* 2011-11-13 - IL - Bitter End Dualsport
* 2011-11-13 - OH - Peace Pipe Enduro
* 2011-11-25 - CA - Barstow to Vegas

Some of the events listed are enduro's which are pretty fun. These as you know are actual competitions. Last year my buddies and I rode the Big Muskie Enduro which neighbors "The Wilds". So it is possible to pop out by a fence and see a giraffe or tiger in the middle of nowhere. It has been announced this year though that the Big Muskie will be part of the sanctioned AMA Enduro Series. Only a limited number of amateurs, and hacks such as myself, will be allowed to enter and get in the way of the pro's. Hey, they can work on their passing skills, it's usually jumping over a tree and me at the same time. The Big Muskee is August 28th weekend. Gonna be a blast!

That looks like fun! Why did I have to watch those vids.....now I want a dual-sporter! (hmmm, I could ride it to work too and save on gas money right? hmmmmm...)

2011 ACES SCHEDULE: Enduro Schedule

2011 aces schedule:

rd. #1 - march 27, 2011
chillicothe enduro riders
black bear enduro

rd. #2 - april 10, 2011
new straitsville enduro riders
moonshine enduro

rd. #3 - may 22, 2011
shade, ohio
lost in lodi / sox brookhart mem. Enduro

rd. #4 - june 5, 2011
chillicothe enduro riders
art michell memorial enduro

rd. #5 - july 9 & 10, 2011
appalachian dirt riders
july 9, family enduro
july 10, litle racoon classic enduro

rd. #6 - aug 14, 2011
enduro riders association
little burr enduro

rd. #7 - aug 28, 2011
zanesville trail riders
big muskie national enduro*
*national enduro rules apply!!!

Rd. #8 - sept 18, 2011
athens motorcycle club
milk run enduro

rd. #9 - nov 13, 2011
treaty city motorcycle club
peace pipe enduro

Hey Mr Riz you should show some videos of yourself. I like the ones when you can here f bombs over the sound of your bike.

webz

I don't know what your talkin' about. I refrain from any ugly outbursts while respecting nature. What you may be referring to is my "coaxing" of my machine to get me up the mountain, hadn't I hit your rear wheel and stalled halfway up. I will be posting a photo of the guy that helped me that day during the Big Muskie Enduro though, he appeared out of nowhere, in the middle of... nowhere. I heard the banjo's playin' in the distance, and didn't have burt reynolds watchin' my backside no neither.

A KTM National Dual sport and AMA National Adventure Ride “The Hanging Rock 200”

The Buckeye DualSporters will be presenting the Hanging Rock 200 a KTM National Dual Sport and AMA National Adventure Ride in the scenic hills of southern Ohio. The ride will consist of two 100 mile days; the adventure ride will be 150 miles, Saturday and Sunday, May 21st and 22ndd. These dates provide open woods visibility as the woods start to green out with the best temperature for woods riding. Bring your bike, your camera and your friends for what could be THE ADVENTURE OF A LIFE

PREREGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
Visit www.kaeppnerswoods.com for entry form
The pre-entry fee of $90 per participant includes both days of riding, lunch each day and a souvenir Ball cap. We will pass filling stations along the way. Please make sure you have a 60 mile range.

To get a registration form visit www.kaeppnerswoods.com.

Pre-Entry closes 5/5/11 No refunds will be given after 5/5/11

Cost to sign up the day of the event:

$100 two day
$55 one day
Need a place to stay?

Buckeye Dualsporters has once again reserved cabins at Lake Hope State park for the event weekend.

We have 14 two bedroom and 6 three bedroom cabins. Cabins can be reserved by calling 740-380-3050. All cabins must be reserved with one rider entry.

Prices for cabins are as follows:

2 bedroom $185.00 (Friday and Saturday) + $90 for rider entry
3 bedroom $230.00 (Friday and Saturday) + $90 for rider entry
All cabins will be given out on a first come first serve basis.

Refro Valley Confirmed

Great camping, new cabins, awesome facilities and 200 plus miles of red, loamy, hard-packed sand trails and winding gravel roads, Renfro Valley is back! Just about 6 hours from here, the KTM AMA Dual Sport Series kicks off in Renfro Valley, KY. The KOA Campground, where the organized enduro-style ride centers, is brand new and is really loaded with amenities. It's a great atmosphere! The ride is simply amazing, perfect for the first one of the year. Renfro Valley is in the mountains of Kentucky where it's up one, and down the other. Last year it was a total downpour on Saturday, and it was amazing. The packed clay-sand soil drains well, and grips a Dunlap pretty good in a rainstorm. Though it was our first one last year, we didn't know it at the time, but was clearly the peak ride of the year!!! Okay, Isaac was right. Glad we listened. Thanks to my wing-man, here's the info:

May 7 - 8, 2011
Renfro Valley Dual Sport
Contact: Paul at 513-553-6662 or Ron at millerron@bellsouth.net
Who's going? I have two already for sure. Gonna be a blast!!!!

Here's the KOA Campground in Mt. Vernon, KY, I'm not sure if this is where it will be based but it was last year. There is also some really cool looking little country shops and attractions at this exit off of the interstate. So there is actually stuff to do for anyone along for the ride, but waitin' while we tear it up.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/renfro/

Riz I finally did it, I broke down and got a WR. Mine just happens to be blue and white:) Cant wait for a weekend out at Majestic to get her dialed in.

Good for you Willie. we're dialed in for Renfro Valley early May, then Hanging Rock late May. Gonna be a great season!!!

Back