AMA NATIONAL ENDURO comes to Ohio

WebZ

PR Member
Ohio gets an AMA national enduro.
ROUND #9 AMA NATIONAL ENDURO
(ACES ROUND #7)
AUGUST 28TH, 2011 • CHANDLESRVILLE, OH

see for more info: http://www.zanesvilletrailriders.com/

I rode the course the last 2-years, and it is excellent. The ZTRA boys put on a 1st class event and are expanding the trails this year. This is the 1st AMA national for ZTRA. So if you cant ride the event please attend and support the club. If you want to ride regester early as this ride well sell out quickly. AA,A,B,C classes.

Webz

flyer

main_image_rider_06.jpg

enduro racing... interesting. forgive my complete ignorance, but is it basically just a fast extended woods ride? how is it different than a hare scramble? i'm game to try it, but never done one. used to run GNCC on a quad (even ran the infamous Blackwater 100 in the day), but nowadays ride 2-wheeled either mx or supermoto. as a solid C rider, how ridiculous would it be to run a national enduro as your debut to the sport?

It wouldn't be ridiculous, it would be fun and challenging. I wouldn't count on finishing but you can count on having a.... challenging time. An Enduro is yes, and extended woods ride but remember, it's not just a trail. It's usually up one side of a mountain, steep and rocky, along a ridge and then down the other side. and you know what comes with "down the other side", a deep, rutted something ugly with a root-strewn monster uphill on the other side. Then multiply that by like, 20 and you just completed your first Enduro. You are also timed and a scorer writes your time at the end of each section. At the end they compile all the times and the best time wins!!! It's hard for sure but really fun. If you are interested in this type of riding, I suggest a Dual Sport, which is pretty much the same style of trails but not timed and with easy-outs when you get to the really tough sections, incase your tired or don't feel like getting stuck on the side of a mountain for the 10th time. Usually best to hit the gas hard and not think about the mess your looking at ahead. The other thing about a dual sport is riders help out one another since it isn't a race per-see. You will need a headlight and tail light and some assemblance of a license plate/appearing street legal bike. the headlight doesn't necessarily need to work but it needs to... appear that it might. Don't quote me on this, your bike is supposed to be street legal for both events, and there are road sections that connect the over 100 miles worth of total days ride. You'll find 5-10 mile trail sections connected with gravel and paved roads to get you to the next section. Enduro's have score keepers at each section, and dual sports have lunch usually half way somewhere. Gas Stops are also provided. Good luck! I suggest you start with Hanging Rock 200 in May, that's two days of hard ridin' and good times. If you can finish that, you'll have no problem at the Big Muskie Enduro.

To answer your question which I just reread, it is different than a hare scramble in that it is NOT a loop. you will ride one trail section only once, a hare scramble loops you around and you may make several laps in a 2 or 4 hour period. An enduro is a single track (not enough width for a quad thankfully) cut through the woods by usually way better enduro riders than us so it can be extremely challenging. Throw in some driving, southern Ohio rain and maybe the same guy that appeared in the back woods with 1 tooth to help me will help you on the side of some slippery slope. He said somethin' about my purdy lips, I don't know what he was saying. Luckily my bike fired on the first kick!!!! :))

This sounds intersting... now is it a mixture of terrains like the gnccs or are the timed sections basically all tight and hars, another thing, is it like a trail ride inbetween sections, and finally when do u stop for gas

There are gas stops and they are marked on the roll chart(there will be a gas truck/trailer for you to put your gas can on. Loop will be 100 mile. 10-12 sections. average speed is approx 25 mph. The course will be set up in a way that only the top 2-3 guys will be anywhere close to being on time (you are penalized for being late or early). Again if you are a pro this is a 4-hour race. If you are slower think 5-hours. You will ride on all types of trails and do not be surprised if you end up on a mx track during 1 or 2 sections. Check out aces.com for quick intro to enduro racing. Its not a trail ride, but the sportsman class (slowest class) is pretty close to a fast dual sport ride.
Overall think gncc riding not mx.

It also depends on the enduro. I thought I heard the nationals run under the euro rules of points per time lost to winner per section or special test? vs American rules of maintaining an almost impossible average and penalized for being early or late. Th euro rule allows guys to be better prepared for the ISDE. 25mph isn't as easy as you think. The best average I ever had at a scramble was 22mph and I won the class. The differences at enduros are the road sections that allow you to get back on time and resets that put you back on time. But rider beware, caught speeding on a public road or blowing a stop sign and you are DQ'd

The dual sports are fun, I've been riding my 640 to them and riding home afterwards putting 300-500 mile days.

Mgorman, nice logo! I have a husky WR250 and a Husky/sheppard named Bandit. Love your logo. Huskys to win!

Back