Flint Ridge Dual Sport

IMRiz

PR Member
This Sunday (June 26th) is the Flint Ridge Dual Sport to be held in Brownsville, Ohio. This is the cool dual sport that at one point, rides past the 7 story high picnic basket. Beginning at 10AM on Sunday, June 26th, 2011, the event begins at Flint ridge Park in Licking Country, just 3 miles north of Brownsville, OH (SR 668 and Flint Ridge Rd.) The course will be marked with arrows and turn markers. Sign-up begins at 7:30am, the event is AMA sanctioned and the cost is $35.00. A lunch will be provided at the park shelter house, and bring your gas can. There won't be any gas stations along the way, but there will be a gas stop, provided you have a can of gas, at approx. 45 miles.

Bikes must be street legal (or appear to be - but I didn't say that). Free camping available on Saturday night. A hot breakfast will be provided by a local charity. For more information, call John DeVito (740)323-4129.

this ride will be approximately 100 miles cut through private property ridden only once per year, and joined together by some road sections, everything from paved to stone, to dirt roads. Since much of the proceeds goes to local charities, local law enforcement helps out. That doesn't mean you won't run into a statie out there somewhere, it can happen. so bikes are supposed to be street legal, and when on the road, more than adhere to the laws. Horsing around on the road is a quick way to attract law enforcement. If your runnin' the plate from your Harley on your KTM, then I suggest you bury yourself in a pack of guys, don't speed or ride wheelies and wave to the locals on the tree lawns watching you go by.

Dual sporting events are really growing fast. There can be anywhere from 100 to 300 bikes. It is NOT a race, but more a test of endurance. I wouldn't call the trails easy by any stretch of the term. There are "easy outs" though for the really tough sections so it's wise not to push yourself beyond your skill level. And when you climb a big mountain uphill, and you wonder how you made it? rest assured there is an equally mind-boggling downhill on the other side, usually decorated by a nice, deep, rutted mud pit at the bottom with a slippery rooted uphill taking you up the next mountainside. Riders do help one another out usually, different than in an timed event, also there usually is no shortage of tools or spare parts on the trail. I fouled a plug and got 3 new ones from two different people. It goes without saying if someone needs a part and you have one, give it up! More will come your way 10-fold.

Going Saturday night, camping in the historical park and ridin' on Sunday. Who's in?

John puts a lot of work and time into this, and puts on a good event. I told him last year that I was gonna ride it this year but can't do now, I'll be out of state this weekend.

Do it if you can, it will be fun and should have a good turn out.

Flint Ridge was perfect yesterday. The trails and conditions were perfect. There were well over 200 bikes, great lunch and a lot more trails sections added this year. The 3 Enduro loops were challenging, but they weren't ridiculous. It was really a good ride!

Here's some video from this year's Flint Ridge 100:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eb6J29gBlQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This was a great trail section. it begins going up this amazing driveway past a beautiful lake and huge home. the trails were wide open through the woods, around corn fields, through pine forests and more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg_qIJjRhd8

This video was the first enduro loop, of three. It wasn't too hard, really good actuall, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtUdgVI97Xo&feature=related

Talked with John yesterday.
Drew some notable names for the event. Robbie Jenks, Jack Penton, Broc Hepler, some others that I didn't hear I'm sure.
Bummed that I had to miss it.

Bootleg Dual sport

Well I'm working on piecing the Husky back together after the Bootleg 100 in Chandlersville, Ohio. It wasn't muddy, nor the hardest of events, I just lost it on a big, dusty uphill. Hit two cross roots in opposite directions, let off the the gas and by the time my back wheel hooked up again I was standin' straight up on my newly replaced rear fender. Lost the fender, my license plate, the bracket, wiring. I was so pissed, total pilot error. Apprehension killed the cat. Why I let off the gas I have no idea but that little mistake cost me some cash. And I hate my new license plate holder now too. But, we'll piece the ole Husky back together and will make the Baby Burr enduro/big Muskie enduro later in the month. Sounds like we'll be going to Majestic Trails for practice in a week or two.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever been to Majestic Trails in PA? It's a really good place. It's Wayne style trails, but they are all ONE WAY. and they have great camping, great rider support and a big motorcycle shop close by. it's cheap, you don't need a special pass and they have all kinds of riding events, for instance a poker run is coming in a couple weeks. check out their site for details. I won all kinds of stuff last year during one. it was fun, they had check point sets up throughout the mountain where you drew for the best hand. it was fun. check their website for details.

Well last weekend was the famed 2012 Flint Ridge Dual Sport, put on by the Licking County Trail Riders. This year's event was no let down, plenty plenty of trail sections, even to the point of almost too much trail. Of course there can never be too much trail but there was a lot. It was also the weekend I've finally realized I need a new bike. I never thought this day would come so now I am on the prowl for a new, or slightly used, Husky WR250. Stayin' with the two-stroke.

Besides the heat, the dust was a factor. Other than that, this is probably one of the best dual sports of the season. Hats of to John DeVito and his club. Those guys rock! See you next year for sure!!!! Keep up the good work.

I talk with John quite a bit and regretfully had to miss his event again this year, fell on same day as our AHRMA race.

John competes in some enduros with his wife on the back against other couples. When he told me of this I'm thinking how cool! Now my wife wants us to do it.

And when we don't win, I can blame it all on her :) :) :)

I had a blast and finished all 100 miles on my WR250r the only go around I did was the big hill after watching the guy I was behind loop his bike out at the top. Cool to see all the fast guys on the orange bikes that make everything look easy. See you next year.

I am considering making my 2009 WR450 dual sport legal. What tires do the veterans of this recommend? If you were to do events like this, should your tires be more off road than on road?

Depending on how much road time your planning on it will vary. I personally like Michelin S-12s for the off road part, (especially if its muddy), they aren't the best for a lot of on road riding. There are several guys who swear by trials tires. So it kind of depends on what you like. Kind of like mx tires, everyone has their own preference.

Thanks. I am actually looking at the Bridgestone TW tires. They claim a "balanced" performance. I will try those and see how it goes. I am suspecting probably a 70% road use. I guess it depends on if I can try some of these Dual Sport Rides.

Back