EFI problems when front wheel @ or beyond 45-50° ?

Holmboyz

PR Addict
While doing a finish line jump this weekend, my son got his bike pretty vertical and once he got back on the gas for the landing the bike started to spit/sputter and had no power. I was near the area and he pulled off until it started sounding normal again - bike ran fine after. After the race another rider said this happens when DFI/EFI bikes get too vertical...has anyone else experienced this? I figured I'd start here and search for more info after work. Thx!

This should probably be in the GEN TECH section. But anywhoo do you mean like Flat like on its side like a whip or scrub or Looped out like an unintentional back flip. Not that it matters. I would imagine this would justify installing foam in the tank to help eliminate sloshing (Baffle effect) and air getting into the fuel system.

EFI requires fuel pressure at the injectors at all times. If the tank is low on gas and the bike is in a position that causes the pump to suck any air you will get just what you described. In a carbed bike the fuel sits in the bowl and gets sucked into the airflow of the carb. which helps with that problem. Always keep a full tank on an efi bike !

im pretty sure there is some kind of sensor that shuts the fuel off if the bike is laying over for too long. may be related to that?

Not a scrub or sideways, front tire up in air. We also had more than a 1/2 tank gas - I'll be sure to keep it full next time. Thanks!

Are the wheelie boyz riding EFI bikes? They would certainly be testing any near vertical angles!

In a carbed bike the fuel sits in the bowl and gets sucked into the airflow of the carb. which helps with that problem. Always keep a full tank on an efi bike !

If you had a 1/2 tank of fuel, you have other issues. These bikes will run upside down with the pump uncovered for at least 5 seconds. If your having run-ability issues you need to start looking at connectors, sensors, and so on.

the tip over sensor shouldnt cause any problems for at least 10seconds of sideways angle. it uses a weight in a U shaped channel to sense that the bike is on its side. vertical wheelies or nose endos have no effect on the tip over sensor. like others have said you may have got air into the fuel pump and lines or have a connection problem.

Are the wheelie boyz riding EFI bikes? They would certainly be testing any near vertical angles!

yeah you didnt see them on pro circuit monster kawis at the SX races last year. i also saw them riding efi hondas on the roads back in the 'hood.

Back