AMC Dual Sport in Athens, OH

IMRiz

PR Member
Hello fellow woods riders. This weekend, join a bunch of us going down to Athens, Ohio for the AMC Dual Sport. This event uses much of the trails that were used last weekend for the Milk Run Enduro. I mean, I don't know that for a fact but I am using fairly reasonable assumptions considering how much work it is to lay out a 100 mile course. Camping is free, ride fee includes lunch, and it's about a 3 1/4 hour drive, just past Wayne National Forest actaully (on Rt. 33). Here is the details from the club's website:

SEPT.16, 2012
A.M.C. DUAL SPORT
Location: The Athens Motorcycle Club 13426 Dutch Creek Rd. Athens, Ohio 45701
GPS COORDINATES: N39 23.111 W82 1.972
On Sept.16, 2012 we will be holding our annual dual sport. The ride will consist of approx. 100 miles of off-road trails, gravel roads and some pavement. There will be some challenging single track for you hard core riders. You will also be riding some of the best trails southern Ohio has to offer. With your entry you will recieve lunch back at the club grounds. Here you can fill your belly and then fill up your bike (with your own gas) and head out for some more awesome trail riding. There will be gas stations available during the ride if needed.
Primative Camping is available for Saturday the 15th. at no cost. There will be one fire for all to enjoy. There are restrooms available, but, no shower
Sign-up begins Saturday from 5pm to 7pm and Re-opens Sunday at 7am. First rider out at 9:30am. This event is AMA sanctioned. Membership is suggested but not required.
Cost is $50.00
STREET LEGAL BIKES ONLY-----HEAD LIGHT, TAIL LIGHT AND LICENSE PLATE REQUIRED. NO EXCEPTIONS! NO LOUD BIKES! ALL BIKES MUST PASS SOUND TEST AND BE INSPECTED BEFORE SIGN-UP.
ANY Questions contact Kevin Brown (740)593-7459. No calls after 9pm

Well ya'll missed a great time. Wow, the Athens Motorcycle Club has a nice piece of property. And there was no shortage of trail, including the last 10 mile woods section that kicked a few butts! This was one of the tougher dual sports in that they used some pretty challenging Enduro trails. Good thing was it was dry, I couldn't even imagine trying to get up some of those steep uphills if it was wet. It was tough but it was grand, it was warm but cold like heck in the tent at night. Meanwhile, I am preparing the machine for another really good event this weekend, The Nutcracker 200! Only thing is, it's only a 100 mile one day dual sport, the second day is a 100 mile adventure ride. more on this in another post.

Here's a few pictures

Here are a few shots from the Athens Motorcycle Club Dual Sport September 16, 2012.

Attachments

• P1010020.jpg
    P1010020.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 271
  • P1050831.jpg
    P1050831.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 262
  • P1050835.jpg
    P1050835.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 268
  • P1050837.jpg
    P1050837.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 265
  • P1050838.jpg
    P1050838.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 254
  • P1050839.jpg
    P1050839.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 268
  • P1050841.jpg
    P1050841.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 265
I rode down from NEO on the 640 Adventure, cold ride down but the trails were great. Want to do tomorrows event but too much going on. Is that you and your pooch in the picture? He/she reminds me of the Moto Dog. Tried to get a picture but kept walking too close to get it.

Yes, that is me and my trusty "other" husky, Bandit. She kept me warm again this weekend as well. She was all over the campground anywhere food was being consumed. She's like the government, wants her share! thanks for posting, hope to see you at the Baby Burr October 8 & 9. Gonna be a hoot! So now on to ponder.... new rear tire or not? argh. I think that will be a game time decision....

Bunch of Moto heads in here.....That s**t is to hard for us 5 lap then rest guys....ha! But I read your stuff Riz.

Glad your having fun on the new bike. And what's with the TY 250? Going to do some slow Vintage stuff?

Yamaha TY250 baby!!! I ride it every night, love this bike. I have about 4 good vintage trials sections set up already. Thanks for posting marc, stop by and take it for a spin. Hey I saw Rob Mclain Sr. at the Nutcracker. I think that's the beginning of the movement. See you soon buddy!!!! Yea haw!

This bike not for sale, don't ask but... you can find them on Craigslist from time to time, anywhere from about $650 to a $1000 is a good price. They made a TY175 but it is much harder to find. There are a lot of 250's out there, and most with the headlight and taillight still. They are or were built road ready with first and second gear trials gears, then three through five, road gears. and it moves on the road, faster than the husky (husky gearing too short for the road). Lots of fun. If your like me and have always said, "Someday I'd like to get a trials bike" well I say, "Get one, you won't regret it." Lots and lots of fun! I'll be ridin' mine in about.... less than two hours. yea haw!

Attachments

• P1050826.jpg
    P1050826.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 269
  • P1050827.jpg
    P1050827.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 288
So now on to ponder.... new rear tire or not? argh. I think that will be a game time decision....

I should have had new tires for 2 weeks ago when I met you, 3/8" rounded from the road knobs weren't bad in the dust, if it rains next week, I'll have to break down and replace them.

This is so boring, logging into pitracer only to see the s**t i posted. Is anyone even checking out the dual sport stuff? I don't think so, this isn't the site for dual sports and enduros.

Hey Riz, I posted some videos in the D/S section. I'm still working on the Athens D/S one. I've been too busy riding instead of editing videos. :D

Athens Motorcycle Club 2nd Annual TAXMAN DUAL SPORT ride Sept 16th, 2012
Athens, Ohio

I finally got around to editing the video. ;)

Nice video. I was riding a GP not too far from AMC at Action Sports that weekend. Looks like some fun and kind of serious riding. I rode mostly MX and some HS at Athens years ago and those hills do get very slick and difficult when they are wet.

Back