Stuff trail riders should be thinking about, even though it's not about a riding area

Senator Brown's latest response regarding my AMA "take action" email on the EPA approval of E15 gas: "With high oil prices, the further use of ethanol and other renewable forms of energy has slowed the increase in the price of gas and helped reduce our nation’s reliance on foreign oil. During my time in Congress, I have supported increased investment to bring fuel from cellulosic biomass like switchgrass, wood, or animal waste to the marketplace. These promising alternative fuels have the potential to be highly efficient, environmentally friendly, and increase our energy security. Home-grown biofuels produced in Ohio will make our state a leader in this emerging industry. I will continue to work for sustainable, affordable energy policies." Well, he's wrong on several counts - it is not efficient. Pure gasoline burns more efficiently than ethanol and E15 does NOT improve fuel economy in vehicles, but worsens it. Next, ethanol has done nothing to control the cost of gasoline or reduce our reliance on foreign oil. Two things HAVE done that - decreased demand by Americans driving less and increased refining of domestic oil. Our dependence on foreign oil has reduced dramatically since it's peak around 2008. This is just more blah, blah, blah jargon from Senator Brown to appease his environmentalist buddies. Oh, and I just wonder how much government assistance (our money) he has endorsed handing out to companies to develop these inefficient forms of fuel.

Back