OMA Fall GP Series

Looking forward to coming north and hitting some or all of these.

Pit, I have the same concern though, I hope the new GP promoters have attended some Action Sports or Fast Traxx events to get an idea of the way these are run. Hoping they are not 1 hr hare scrambles or 5th gear field riding. As you know, the really fun one's are like an old style natural terrain MX, with some open woods thrown into the mix.

This caught my eye, and im checkin it out but say im a C mx rider, on a 450, what class would i ride? There isnt one unless im missing somthing?

NVM i found it, OPEN haha simple as that

I hope the new GP promoters have attended some Action Sports or Fast Traxx events to get an idea of the way these are run.

I hope so as well. One of the most fun GP races I've ever done is the Gobbler GP at Switchback Raceway in PA. He does the woods parts of the course with a Skid-steer so it's plenty wide and fun -- not that tight single-track harescramble junk.

Briarcliff's trails are basically perfect already, just need to tie the MX tracks and woods into a really fun lap. Beans and Crow have a ton of potential, Malvern too.

We would like to hit some of these. I have done a GP at TV Land and at Western Reserve and they are a blast.

Malvern's will be fun and run smooth...I promise! I have set up our HS course the last five years and always had good reviews! I called our HS a Moto-Scramble!

Two Questions for Ya - What is a good lap time for a GP? I am thinking 4 to 7 minutes... And how many riders usually show up to a decent GP event in these parts?

Awesome! Can't wait.

I think Action Sports gets a couple hundred. Here is a video of their course, laptime for me is about 7-8 minutes.

I watched much of this video below of a 2012 Malvern Harescramble, and it looks pretty sweet! Very GP'ish already, maybe just subtract a couple of the really tight sections. I look at the GP's as sort of like beginner Hare Scrambles -- nothing too gnarly or tight, and same goes for the MX (usually cut out the gnarly jumps) This creates a super fun 7-8 minute course that is just plain fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HjqgjIvMMY

Looking forward to coming north and hitting some or all of these.

Pit, I have the same concern though, I hope the new GP promoters have attended some Action Sports or Fast Traxx events to get an idea of the way these are run. Hoping they are not 1 hr hare scrambles or 5th gear field riding. As you know, the really fun one's are like an old style natural terrain MX, with some open woods thrown into the mix.

At Bc we will be utilizing the 3 mile trail loop, portions of the big track, and the entire C track. I have watched alot of helmet cam from drews, and asked plenty of questions in the offseason. I have been putting this off for a couple seasons because wasnt sure about trying it yet, but now I am. I think we will give everyone a good track, or I wouldnt do it.

Im excited to see what crows comes up with. Alot of land there and alot of muddy rutted up trails. Im in for tearin the bike up right before the winter tear down!

Im hoping to hit all but the Action Sports round. Thats the day of Davefest.

I love GP races, are the OMA ones 45 min?

Here is switchback's Gobbler GP from last year. This is one of the most fun races I've ever done. A bit more open than Action Sports and I see they now use their indoor track as part of it too.

At Bc we will be utilizing the 3 mile trail loop, portions of the big track, and the entire C track. I have watched alot of helmet cam from drews, and asked plenty of questions in the offseason. I have been putting this off for a couple seasons because wasnt sure about trying it yet, but now I am. I think we will give everyone a good track, or I wouldnt do it.

I've heard a lot of good things about BC's trails. I will be making my first trip to "the cliff" for the GP. I hope you don't incorporate too many jumps from the big track in the GP track.

I've heard a lot of good things about BC's trails. I will be making my first trip to "the cliff" for the GP. I hope you don't incorporate too many jumps from the big track in the GP track.

The jumps on the big track have mellowed out a ton from earlier years......you say that and you haven't been here......is even a fair statement to make?

The jumps on the big track have mellowed out a ton from earlier years......you say that and you haven't been here......is even a fair statement to make?

Just as fair as saying that I've heard good things about your trails, all second hand observations, but told to me by reliable sources. I have watched several go pro videos, and I didn't say the jumps are too big, I personally just prefer less jumps in a GP. If I wanted to jump lots of stuff, I would still race MX.

Just as fair as saying that I've heard good things about your trails, all second hand observations, but told to me by reliable sources. I have watched several go pro videos, and I didn't say the jumps are too big, I personally just prefer less jumps in a GP. If I wanted to jump lots of stuff, I would still race MX.

Lol, fair enough. I think you will dig our track layout, I usually use good judgement, well most times....

A GP is a different than a MX. Sign-up is open all day. Racers come and go as the sessions progress and some may race multiple sessions. Scoring of course is always working and awards are available following the sessions throughout the day. There is no practice or sighting lap. All skill levels of racers, bike displacement and a vast age range of riders and bikes compete on the track at the same time. Quads have their own session at the end of the day. And GP races have proven to be reasonably safe form of racing. Course design plays a big part in that safety. A wide course allows for easy passing and the pros barely need slow their pace. A good rule of thumb (or all digits?) would be that the track can safely be negotiated without bark busters. Reasonable jumps add to safety as well as there is no practice with the wide range of skill levels and equipment sharing the track.

The best aspect of GP racing for me is the fact that the emergency crew usually has a quiet day. Classes for really old guys and playing on the old bikes rank right up there as well...

Can't wait for these to start ! I'm in for Beans , BC , and CC. Would do all 5 but work schedule conflicts . Hopefully turnouts are great so the series can grow in 14 ...

Back