OMA Fall GP Series

Line them up on the start in front of the gate, take a left turn and run the mx track backwards!

Ya know what? .... I think most of Malvern's MX track COULD be run backwards....Cool idea. Sure would even out the playing field since it would be all new for everyone.

Help me with some ideas on the "start" for Malvern! Would like do something fun and a gate drop is a no go.

Most GP's I've run, we all line up in rows in the starting area for each session, meaning all riders for that session are in the starting area ready to go.
Dead engine flag start, starter walks to each row to start them after the first row has gone far enough away. This means the first row is a lot closer to the first turn than the last row. Very similar to HS start.

MX track is irrellevant for a GP, most of these guys quit riding/racing MX because of all the big jumps anyway. So running a track backwards is fine, and often times pretty fun. Just as long as there is nothing that becomes horribly dangerous riding backwards, like a double with a peaky takeoff that you would slam into from running backwards. Anything like that just cut out of the course.

The big keys to remember is that GPs are not MX's or harescrambles. No big MX jumps needed or wanted and also no gnarly knuckle busting tree root wipeout HS sections. When I race GPs it reminds me of when I was young and just had fun riding my bike all over the place. Take some of the MX track, then dip into some woods or fields, back on a couple sections of MX track, back into a field or woods, etc.

What Pit said...

It's good to have some open track after the start to let the riders sort out. And yes when on the MX track don't limit your thinking to complete laps. Tracks that have been running GP's for years have evolved to where they on and off the MX track many times a lap with grass track / field and woods sections in the mix. New grass track is excellent if possible.

What Pit and kO said x 2. Perfect explanations right there.

Oh, and I almost forgot, make sure any rain is early, so the 11am session can get the track ran in for the afternoon sessions lol.

The way you described the start Pit is how we have done the harescrambles...I was considering throwing a twist into the start like running to your bike or something. I am not fancy to running the track backwards...we did that once for a relay race and it bit someone pretty hard. I am meeting up with Jason next week to put our ideas together. We will have to run most of the MX track the way it is until we get to the portions that touches usable woods. I think I am in line with the style of track your describing. Next week will tell a lot. I am most concerned with length of the course right now. Fun and able to ride for all wont be an issue. I think the large MX portion will be fine for us as everyone can ride it and have fun! Thank you everyone for ideas and clarity!!!

Think out of the box.....you need to shed the contemporary mx mentality. Gp guys want cool switchbacks, and other stuff that you cant normally do on mx, but they also want some mx flavor too. I wouldnt be afraid to take them across a big table top that would normally run east, take them north over it, in other words across it sideways.

Run the perimeter of available land and avoid sections where guys can cut the track if possible. Grass track is a nice addition that woukd take little effort to build. Dead engine starts, no running to bike. Be ready to water some track sections if needed. Make the finish after a 180 corner or funnel down with some switchbacks right before the finish checkpoint. Ok enough suggestions from me, I'm sure the GP tracks will be good!

For sure want to be creative...but we have a MX race the night before...setting up anything extra on the MX track will be difficult. Will prolly finish the MX race, get a few hours of sleep and back at it real early...gonna be looooonnnnngggg day for me! I will have everything done I can before hand. All MX portions will be prepped too!

I was tossing something around...I suppose straight racing is the way to go. I will keep you updated on the track as it comes along. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. Malvern is limited on property...but a fun track is the goal. Smooth operation is good to go!

The finish area will be a slow area for sure...riders had better slow down!!!

With single file to a stop, directed by a flagman for lap scoring and the finish, it's difficult to not slow down.

Will scoring be with helmet numbers? The norm has been helmets to sign-up to check or distribute helmet numbers though Action Sports is using transponders this year (with a number as a back up). Any chance OMA numbers will be used?

ixnay on the run to your bike idea...what if you come alone...?

now maybe face everyone backwards and dead engine start...on wet grass...lol

Think it's been said, but dead bike start in from of gate, facing the front # plate...gate drops, runn around, jump on bike, start, go!

So thinking about classes I am going to run or sessions I guess I should say. Thinking it will be me and the KX300 in Session 1 (Open) and 6 (40+). Not thinking there are any others unless I classify myself as a Novice GP rider...

So thinking about classes I am going to run or sessions I guess I should say. Thinking it will be me and the KX300 in Session 1 (Open) and 6 (40+). Not thinking there are any others unless I classify myself as a Novice GP rider...

The 11:00 Open class is an all skill level class. If you are a B rider, you could ride Heavyweight B at 11:00 on the 300.

All great ideas... just remember we dont want something huge but a small double wouldnt hurt and some big tables but as far as the trails the problem is you will have ruts almost immediately so we just have to watch out, be safe, and have fun!

Back