Race That Bike!

NQ1965

PR Elite
I would normally post this in the Old Guys-Old Bikes section but beings this is not a vintage matter I wanted to speak to everybody with an older bike, or anyone who would like to race and has a limited budget.

To start, I'll beg your pardon for a little bragging if you would please.
Many on here know me, but for those who don't, here some goods about me. I'm 49 yrs young, started racing about a dozen years ago. OK, that's enough about me.

This is my 98 CR250. I've owned this bike for over 10 years. Never really liked it.
But last year, (2013) I raced the bike in a Grand Prix race at Action Sports in The Plains, just outside of Athens.
In that race I found that this bike was a perfect machine for this type of racing. I only raced a couple events on it last year, but decided that I would try and race the whole Action Sports GP season on it in 2014.

Now, bear in mind I'm still really kind of a newbie at racing, but I like to compete and like a challenger.
The Action Sports, 2014 GP season just concluded, and here's the results: "Six" GP races in the Decade Class, and "Six" 1st place finish's. The class's weren't big, but the competition was plenty.

I also raced this bike 5 times in the 40+ class against some modern bikes and still was very pleased with my results. (Against a lot of stiff competition)
MY POINT:
I had an absolute blast racing my CR, and it has changed my whole view on what and how I'll be racing in the future. The bike ran incredible, and was very reliable. (with some good maintenance of course.)

If you've got an older bike just setting around and want to have some fun, get that thing out, tune it up and "Race It" !

Photo credits: Nancy Freas, Jericho Freas

COCR Champ.jpg
GP champ out 2.jpg
GP Champ out 3.jpg
GP Champ out 4.jpg
GP Champ out 6.jpg
GP Champ out 8.jpg
GP Champ out 9.jpg
GP out 1.jpg
GP Champ out 10.jpg

My primary race bike will be 13 years old in 2015. Next season I really would like to make it to a Action Sports GP.

PS: Im glad you never got rid of the stock graphics!

I'm kind of funny with that. I've never cared for aftermarket graphics and prefer the original look.
I also began thinking that as I go forward and build my race bikes, to go ahead and start adding decals of performance parts that I use in or on the bike like the pros do. But it has to look right.

Reactions: DTS
Hey you'd fit in well in the +40 class at Chillitown with that number on your bike!

Is that a common number in 40+?
I'd have to race my newer Dacade bike (my 03 YZ) at Chillitown. It has the yellow background #65 as well.

Outstanding and congratulations on 6 races and 6 wins. The photos are excellent also - props to the photographers.

That is putting a nice bike to good use.

It is interesting that at the same time you posted your caption "Race That Bike" I posted in the Old Bikes/Guys section about fighting the tendency to think something is too nice or too original to use.

Good message "Race That Bike"!!!

Are racing the Sprint Enduro in November?

It is interesting that at the same time you posted your caption "Race That Bike" I posted in the Old Bikes/Guys section about fighting the tendency to think something is too nice or too original to use.

Good message "Race That Bike"!!!

Are racing the Sprint Enduro in November?

Those were kind of my thoughts as well upon seeing Georgie's bike pic's. Damn, thats too nice to ride!

As I stated in my story, my views are evolving on all of this. I'd like to build bikes "to Look like and Be" real race bikes! To look well maintained, hi-performance and built for battle, not the show room floor.

I kind of had it in my mind to taper off after the GP season, but we had long talks with Kyle and Drew at the track Sunday and are seriously
considering both the Sprint Enduro, and the Team Hare Scramble race. Pending weather of course.

By the way... Thanks guys on the comments.:)

Well done Mike! Remember talking about slowing down to go faster? That must have been a couple of years ago. Well now you need to slow down just so some of us can keep up with you!

I do remember that. And I would love to but I can't !
There's these other racers, you know, in 40+ and 50+ class, that keep showing me how slow I am.

All winter long, I'll be stewing over my 40+ results. Probably losing sleep at night too :mad:

Back