62 vintage race

Wow... Low turn out on the suggestions.. LOL! Myself with the vintage bike, I like the old school natural style tracks. I've rode on tracks where you roll woops, peaked jumps, etc. But for me, I'd rather not have to. I do know there are folks that enjoy that with the old bikes, just not me. I've never been to your track, but have heard great things, calling it very vintage friendly and a very nice track. So I'm really looking forward to running there.

Wow... Low turn out on the suggestions.. LOL! Myself with the vintage bike, I like the old school natural style tracks. I've rode on tracks where you roll woops, peaked jumps, etc. But for me, I'd rather not have to. I do know there are folks that enjoy that with the old bikes, just not me. I've never been to your track, but have heard great things, calling it very vintage friendly and a very nice track. So I'm really looking forward to running there.
Thank you for the input. We have made a few changes since turning the track around in different direction.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Maybe route them around the wall jump and maybe take the dozer and mellow out the take off of the down hill double thingy after the 180 heading to the back road. Other than that I think it would be very vintage friendly. But then again I dont ride a vintage bike..... How ever some people still call me an expert! Lol

Thanks for asking, we appreciate new tracks that are willing to get involved in vintage racing.

With the AHRMA regional schedule of vintage on Saturday and Post Vintage on Sunday it’s good to have an open practice on Saturday after the Vintage finishes, we love some extra track time and it helps generate some additional revenue for you. I would have at least one modern class each day, classes could be flexible based rider turnout.

One mistake new tracks make sometimes is ripping the track super deep, vintage bike really struggle with the deep stuff, we like a well prepped track but not overly deep. We love jumps, tabletops, singles, medium sized doubles that don’t hurt if come up a bit short

Maybe route them around the wall jump and maybe take the dozer and mellow out the take off of the down hill double thingy after the 180 heading to the back road. Other than that I think it would be very vintage friendly. But then again I dont ride a vintage bike..... How ever some people still call me an expert! Lol

I'm glad you commented on this Hershey. When speaking of the "Wall Jump", I'm assuming you are referring to the "Single" along the west side immediately following the turn on the far south end of the track? When we rode there last week, both my boy and I felt that that single was peaked too much and needed more face slope. Currently it launch's you high with a hard flat landing. Single jumps with flat landings are cool as long as you can hit them with a lot of speed, carry some air, and not slam down. I kept trying to hit it with more speed as I developed a feel to how my bike was reacting to it, but I noticed everybody was checking speed before hitting it, and many just rolling it, or slowly jumping. I wouldn't think twice on hitting it in 4th gear on my vintage bike if it were tamed down a bit.

Lonnie, I believe the Post Vintage guys will like your current track layout. The jumps are safe, the track is long, and the challenges are plenty.

Now to the Vintage crowd, where do we start? The vintage guys are finicky and hard to please. And you'll get a variety of arguable opinions. I'm running short on time tonight, but I'll think on this some and maybe tomorrow we can pull together a discussion that address's their needs and wish's in a way that we can have a track that they'll be happy with and that won't require too much work for you. (and for the record, I race Vintage on a 1974 Yamaha MX250 and wouldn't think twice on racing your current track layout. But I might actually be on the younger end of the age scale for a Vintage racer.)

I agree with what has been said above and yes perhaps just route around the challenging jumps for vintage and perhaps even the wall for PV if you don't want to knock it down. Delta runs modern on Saturday night between V and PV and they pretty much just move some cones around. Just my opinion but temporary re-routes do not need to be overly wide if it helps. Should be a given but we all tend to respect each other and pass only where it is safe. Also - rarely are we 3 wide anywhere!

As far as additional classes you could add a bomber type class - basically anything with a disc brake up to 99 or so. Maybe a 125 and a 250? No AHRMA required too. They are doing something like that at Unadilla this weekend and AHRMA seems fine with it. Might ask Dave Woolever to be sure. I can try and recruit some riders for that one I am certain and they had similar at Dirt Country. Not sure how if the jumps are taken out Saturday but perhaps offer it both days? Just a thought but perhaps a 50/mini's type of classes on Saturday because of the lack of jumps would be cool. Different crowd I know but many of us are old enough to have grandkids! I am also hoping you are open the weekend before for practice - I have not made it to the new track yet! I, and I am sure others on here, would be happy to ride and give feedback a week ahead of it. Hint -NQ make sure your MX is ready..... Thanks for asking about this Lonnie.

Hint -NQ make sure your MX is ready.....

It's ready.:D
Got it running Thursday night, with 2 heat cycles on the new top-end over the weekend.
A 50cc/mini's class would be awesome. Would love to have my grandkids there at the track with us. And a Bomber class would work as well, as I'm always looking for good opportunities to race my 98 CR250.

With our Ahrma regional coming up quick we would like to hear some ideas, feedback on track and support class opinions.

If you have never ridden a vintage bike or haven't in many years , get somebody to loan you one ( many would be glad to ) to turn a couple of laps on . The low ground clearance , short suspension travel , crude damping , snappy power , and poor brakes , etc. will be very evident and show you better what the capabilities of these old classics are . A select few can ride them well beyond their limits and get away with it . I never enjoyed having to roll a lot of obstacles and in the " heat " of competition , attempted some that I shouldn't have . PV bikes ( even the early ones with just a little more travel ) stretch those capabilities tremendously and PV racers will be bored and bitching about a track that can be a bit of a challenge to a vintage racer . Even vintage guys get bored if the track is just all flat and turns though . If you could find natural terrain options as reroutes around the gnarlier stuff , that might be ideal , so you could just use banners or cones to make quick changes . You will NEVER please everyone . That is the 2 cents from a washed up old MXer who would be happy to race on anything just one more time , if he could .

I've been to Rt 62 once. Great track. But I'm afraid I'd scare my old self on my vintage open bike there.

Beings this is Rt62's first run at a Vintage event, let us know if you need any help with anything putting this on. We're more than happy to come up and pitch in.

It would be good if MXKid chimed in on this, as he attends more AHRMA events than anyone else on here and he's a Licking County local boy. Although I just checked the AHRMA schedule, and they are running a National that weekend in Missouri, so he may not be attending Rt 62.

Would love to see these AHRMA Regionals grow again.

Last edited:
Regarding the wall. I'm sure Lonnie meant that as an obstacle rather than a normal jump to hit with gobs'o speed. I rode my 84 RM250 at RT62 a few weeks ago and from a PV standpoint everything on the track was a lot of fun (including the wall). I'd agree with Hershey that the wall and the step down jump wouldn't be too fun on a vintage bike and might even bash some low slung vintage exhaust pipes. You can count on me being there and willing to help in any way I can. I'm hoping for decent weather and a turnout that's worth Lonnie's time!

I've been to Rt 62 once. Great track. But I'm afraid I'd scare my old self on my vintage open bike there.

KO...what about your 83 YZ? By the way, the changes made to the track since you were there made for a more fun layout!

Reactions: k01
Regarding the wall. I'm sure Lonnie meant that as an obstacle rather than a normal jump to hit with gobs'o speed. I rode my 84 RM250 at RT62 a few weeks ago and from a PV standpoint everything on the track was a lot of fun (including the wall). I'd agree with Hershey that the wall and the step down jump wouldn't be too fun on a vintage bike and might even bash some low slung vintage exhaust pipes. You can count on me being there and willing to help in any way I can. I'm hoping for decent weather and a turnout that's worth Lonnie's time!
Thank you all for the input! We will take a bigger Dozer out the week before the vintage race and tame the wall down and make a change to the step down in back.

I liked that down hill jump. Again a little peaky on the face of it, but down hill jumps have serious fun potential.

Last edited:
I assume you already have this information, if not, it's straight off of AHRMA's website.
Of course no support class info listed though, that's likely up to the tracks discretion I would think?

Vintage Motocross Classes

Note: All classes are further divided into Novice, Intermediate and Expert rider ability levels.

Premier Lightweight: Certain pre-1965-era machines up to 250cc.

Premier 350: Certain 1960s-era four-stroke machines 300-350cc

Premier 500: Pre-1965-era machines up to 500cc

Premier Open Twins: Pre-1965 twin-cylinder machines 600cc and larger.

Classic 125: 125cc two-strokes and four-strokes up to 150cc, manufactured through December 1971 (and like-design).

Classic 250: Specific 250cc and smaller two-stroke machines introduced just after the Premier Lightweight era (i.e., four-speed Spanish motorcycles, twin-pipe CZ), as well as 350cc non-unit motorcycles.

Classic 500: Specific motorcycles from the late 1960s and early ’70s.

100cc Motocross: 88-100cc two-stroke and 88-120cc four-stroke motorcycles manufactured as 100s, up to 1974 (and like-design).

Early Sportsman Stock: 250 and 500cc classes for certain lightly-modified machines from the early part of the Sportsman era.

Sportsman: 125, 250 and 500cc classes for machines up to model year 1974.

Sportsman Open Twins: Twin-cylinder machines up to model year 1974, manufactured as 600cc and larger.

Open Age: Any AHRMA-eligible rider on an AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

40+: Riders age 40 or older on any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

50+: Riders age 50 or older on any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

60+: Riders age 60 or older on any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

70+: Riders age 70 or older on any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

Women: Females riding any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

Post Vintage Motocross Classes

Note: All classes are further divided into Novice, Intermediate and Expert rider ability levels.

Historic 125: Certain 125cc and smaller motorcycles built up to and including the 1977 model year as the first-generation of long-travel machines.

Historic 250: Certain 126-250cc motorcycles built up to and including the 1977 model year as the first-generation of long-travel machines.

Historic 500: Certain 325-460cc two-strokes and four-strokes up to 636cc built up to and including the 1977 model year as the first-generation of long travel machines.

Historic Four-Stroke: Certain four-stroke machines built up to and including the 1978 model year with up to 636cc. Overhead cam machines are limited to 500cc.

Grand Prix 125: Certain post-1977 motorcycles up to 125cc.

Grand Prix 250: Certain post-1977 motorcycles 126-250cc.

Grand Prix 500: Certain post-1977 motorcycles 325-500cc two-stroke and up to 580cc four-stroke.

Ultima 125: Certain motorcycles up to 125cc that do not have disc brakes or power-valve type mechanism built directly into the engine.

Ultima 250: Certain 126-250cc motorcycles that do not have disc brakes or power-valve type mechanism built directly into the engine.

Ultima 500: Certain 325-580cc motorcycles that do not have disc brakes or power-valve type mechanism built directly into the engine.

Ultima Four-Stroke: Certain 200-580cc four-strokes that were produced either with a single-shock rear suspension or a newer engine technology.

Open Age: Any AHRMA-eligible rider on any eligible machine.

40+: Riders age 40 or older on any eligible machine.

50+: Riders age 50 or older on any eligible machine.

60+: Riders age 60 or older on any eligible machine.

70+: Riders age 70 or older on any eligible machine.

Women: Female riders on any eligible machine.

Beings this is Rt62's first run at a Vintage event, let us know if you need any help with anything putting this on. We're more than happy to come up and pitch in.

It would be good if MXKid chimed in on this, as he attends more AHRMA events than anyone else on here and he's a Licking County local boy. Although I just checked the AHRMA schedule, and they are running a National that weekend in Missouri, so he may not be attending Rt 62.

Would love to see these AHRMA Regionals grow again.
In the future regional races should be 1 day events.but for now I would run mini classes if any show up, would also run 16-29,+30,+40,+50 modern classes.Maybe on Saturday run a open Pv open class,that would get guys on track that don't ride vintage bikes. On Sunday would run these same classes plus a 1985-1989,and a 1990-1999 class. There is a National that same weekend that I should go to,but Ohio guys if we want future regional races in Ohio we need to support them! Guys most vintage riders have multiple bikes, so guys here is the challenge find someone that has never rode a vintage race and let them ride a bike ! I have did this several times and some guys will stick with it and some don't you never know.

Back