1. Dismiss Notice

Clearing Land

Discussion in 'MX/SX General' started by OSU85, Dec 28, 2017.

1. OSU85

OSU85 PR Member

Anyone on here have any experience clearing land? I was wondering what the cheapest way to get it done would be either diy or having someone. Probably would like to get 5-10 acres cleared if I were to do it and wanted to estimate the cost

Attached Files:

2. BriarcliffMx

BriarcliffMx PR Founding Father

Looks like small stuff, brush and small diameter trees? Push it in a pile and burn it.

Romanyak256 and John250 like this.
  3. Honuki250

Honuki250 Noob

for a place to ride I am sure many people would assist you. NE Ohio here

Romanyak256 likes this.
  4. OSU85

OSU85 PR Member

Correct mostly small trees. So you’d go about it renting a dozer?

5. Dano762

Dano762 PR Member

Racing Number:
    Never used a dozer and suspect it would clear very fast. Not sure if you need any kind of operator license or credentials to rent.

I have rented a skid steer with a brush cutter attachment and a brush/root grapple. You can use like a bush hog or raise the cutter and come down into the brush. Worked well and then pushed debris into a pile to burn. I pre-cut any trees too big for the brush cutter. Rental costs me about $750 for a long weekend. Have done it a couple of times to open up more area. Working by myself I would guess I clear about 5-6 acres in a weekend, a mixture of tough stuff and easier bush hog like stuff.

I have also gotten some decent Craigslist quotes from guys that already have the equipment and advertise land clearing, but all have been unreliable. Their prices have not been far off what it costs me to rent, but they have not shown up - just delayed and made excuses.

Late winter is a great time to clear.- no leaves. Pictured is size of stuff I have cleared with a skid steer and brush cutter. You can Google Skid Steer and Land Clearing to see lots of videos.

After clearing, I keep it mowed and in 3-4 years it looks like a lawn.

Barn Fire Smaller.jpg
    IMG_0988_LI.jpg

April Brush Fire 2014 2014-04-19 002.JPG

6. GeorgiePorgie

GeorgiePorgie PR Founding Father

Racing Number:
    Plan on Building a house ? Looks like a nice piece of land.

7. OSU85

OSU85 PR Member

Thanks really good info. This would be all new for me and stuff is growing everywhere except the easement. Looks like it should be doable though

8. MW850

MW850 PR Member

Racing Number:
    Dozer with a root rake would work the best, you don't get as much dirt mixed in with the piles of brush!

9. BriarcliffMx

BriarcliffMx PR Founding Father

I'd find someone who is decent operator and rent a dozer. Franklin, Cat, Sunbelt, Blue flame. Just get a small dozer, D3, D4, 450, 550 etc. Or a 750 850 case. I usually make a topsoil pile and a burn pile. A root rake would be nice for sure, but I wouldn't know where to rent on of those, probably just have to find Dozer Joe who has one.

10. Romanyak256

Romanyak256 PR Member

I’d rent a mini excavator or a small dozer, like a d3 or d4n. If you need help I’d be happy to assist. I’m in Columbus and laid off for the winter, i deal with clearing often for work (construction)

11. Dano762

Dano762 PR Member

Racing Number:
    I am sure the guys are right that a dozer is a much faster/better way to do the job. Plus it will push over the trees and scrape up the honeysuckle with the roots so you will have less grow back. After I cleared I did spend a weekend with a rented stump grinder and ground down dozens and dozens of small stumps. Then I bush hog for a couple of years until I can cut with a finish mower. On the positive, I have not had an erosion issues to deal with.

If you go with the skid steer route, I would recommend one with tracks. There is an attachment called a forestry mulcher. I haven't use one, but it looks like a beast.

A few videos, the first couple are what I have used:

Good luck - looks like a fun project.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  12. Dano762

Dano762 PR Member

Racing Number:
    When I comes to burning, I am a wimp and tend to make multiple smaller fires instead of one gigantic brush pile/fire. Open burn is easy; look up the rules in county where the land is located for the permissible dates. I post an "Open Burn" sign and call the local fire department to let them know so they don't respond if someone calls the fire in.

I am sure the guys that clear professionally will chuckle at how amateur time I am. Mowing, clearing, and messing around on my little chunk of land is like therapy for me. Tackle it yourself, take your time, be safe/smart, and have fun.

13. weasel49

weasel49 PR Member

Racing Number:
    I am not sure if they do it in Ohio but in Mississippi local fire departments would do control burns for preventative and training purposes on private land.

14. OSU85

OSU85 PR Member

That last video looks like it’d be a blast

Double D likes this.
  15. Double D

Double D PR Founding Father

Racing Number:
    I Likey!!!!

16. Ron505

Ron505 PR Founding Father

I would definitely consider erosion possibilities if you scrape it with a dozer. I'd just start with cutting the bigger trees, and brush hogging. That way your leaving some vegetation to keep from getting any erosion problems.
    What's your end goal for that land?

17. ktrop251

ktrop251 PR Member

Racing Number:
    Hey if you need a hand let me know man. I'm right down the road!

18. OSU85

OSU85 PR Member

I wish it was right here. Working over in Minerva now and looking to find something closer that way

19. ktrop251

ktrop251 PR Member

Racing Number:
    Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure there's tons of room out there for dirtbikes.