1. Dismiss Notice

Craigslist restoration candidates

Discussion in 'Old Guys & Old Bikes' started by DTS, Jan 28, 2018.

1. DTS

DTS PR Addict

MX955 and Vet261 like this.
  2. Vet261

Vet261 PR Addict

Nice little collection!

I'm lucky there are no RM's in there otherwise I'd probably be at the ATM today.

DTS likes this.
  3. AHRMA361

AHRMA361 PR Founding Father

Racing Number:
    That 91 CR250 looks very original.

DTS likes this.
  4. DTS

DTS PR Addict

I don't know why, but I'm into the YZ

5. DTS

DTS PR Addict

chubakka likes this.
  6. k01

k01 PR Elite

That was my least favorite year YZ 250. Just had it a few months and traded it back to the dealer for a jet ski that I'm still riding.
    93 250.jpg

jeffro667 and DTS like this.
  7. DTS

DTS PR Addict

I remember seeing those YZs brand new on display at loretta's when I was a kid. I still have no idea why I was blown away, but they just look cool to me. ...Just noticed it has a combo of 93 and 94 plastic on it.o_O

..So far, the guy is dreaming and wants $1700 for the 95 CR, and he said he would take $1000 for the 1990 CR. I don't know any of the other prices.

8. MX955

MX955 PitRacer Pro

Racing Number:
    Is that CR a 1990 or 1991? That seat that is one it looks like a 1991 seat..

9. DTS

DTS PR Addict

#17 is a 91. I haven't talked to the guy selling that bike.. but I do think his is way over priced.

I've only heard from the guy selling the 3 Hondas and 1 Yamaha.

10. DTS

DTS PR Addict

11. NQ1965

NQ1965 PR Elite

That looks like a decent bike for a $1000.
    Non-Current contender.

I'm such a sucker for old dirt bikes. :D:D

DTS likes this.
  12. Vet261

Vet261 PR Addict

He lowered the price on that KX250 to 800 bucks. I talked to him on the phone, sounds like a decent guy. Might go look at it, he said a few others were in line ahead of me so I doubt I'll get the chance to.

13. AHRMA361

Racing Number:
    If you do get to look at it, see if you can get that cat in the one photo thrown in as a bonus.

NQ1965 and DTS like this.
  14. DTS

DTS PR Addict

Nathan and I checked it out this morning. Real nice guy, but we passed. The bike started up easy but had a few things that bothered me. It needs a real wheel, kickstarter is worn out, and a bolt was broken off in the tank.. to name a few. Also the clutch would make a weird pop noise when it was pulled in.

Hey mike, his cat has an enormous head!

AHRMA361 and chubakka like this.
  15. Vet261

Vet261 PR Addict

I bought it.

DTS is correct, it's certainly not perfect. BUT, it was 800 bucks. I've bought WAY worse for more money than that, and a few from people that were supposed to know what they were doing with building "race ready" bikes.

It's a very good base and seems pretty solid.
    The forks are pit free, work properly, and don't look like anyone used pipe wrenches on them.
    The shock has a clean shaft, intact bottom bumper, and dampening works.
    Most bearings feel tight, linkage is squeaky and seller said he thinks it needs a couple linkage bearings ($11 OEM)
    Starts up and seems to run nice, sounds pretty good.
    Needs rear brake pads.
    Seat foam is questionable at best....I might pull the seat from my 89 KX125 and then buy new foam and cover to put on the 125.
    Clutch has that "tick" in the operation, but I believe that is a worn actuating arm. That may be as simple as filing a burr off it, or buy a new one ($40).
    Broken bolt in tank. Ehhhh....not fun but I'll fix that. Otherwise tank is in nice shape.
    I didn't really see anything wrong with the rear wheel other than the rim is scratched up and the spokes have some corrosion. I didn't think it needed a whole new wheel.
    The radiators are in decent shape....and you can buy those GPI aftermarket for this bike for $78 a set on Ebay. Missing the radiator louvers, those are available OEM for $13.

I'm thinking $250 in parts and some TLC and this bike will be a pretty good racer for someone.

20180207_193116.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    dmx153, Dano762, Mandy Boorom and 7 others like this.
  16. NQ1965

NQ1965 PR Elite

You just described half of the bikes in my garage. :D

That's minor routine stuff for a 30yr old bike.
    The fact that you could hear it pop, smoke and vibrate says that it has great potential.

17. alphado

alphado PR Founding Father

Racing Number:
  18. MarctheSharc

MarctheSharc PR Founding Father

....LOL!!!

Kari ....I think we're going to need a bigger boat .....

Vet261 likes this.
  19. DTS

DTS PR Addict

The rear rim has a flat spot in the left side. I'm stoked you got the bike john!

20. AHRMA361

Racing Number:
    Vet261 likes this.