YZ fork seals seeping

loneranger171

PR Addict
Just noticed some oil leaking from front forks on yz125. Don't have time to have taken apart and sent out to fix...especially with only about 2-3 rides left in the year probably 4 me...do u all think I can wait it out? Im not an over aggressive rider/jumper...just wanted to get thru year b4 finding someone local to fix 4 me....

If its just barely weaping (causing the lower legs to get wet form working) then you may get a couple rides. If you find puddles in the floor next to your front tire, Remember the outer tube only holds around 350ML +/- (about a popcan) of fluid. If you loose too much you could damage the bushings and insides of the tubes, in this case you should just bite the bullet. Plus you have one less thing to worry about this winter...

Clean them out with a seal saver. 9 out of 10 times it is just a little bit of dirt stuck in the seal.

Pop out the wipers and use some contact cleaner and spray around the seals... then pump the forks up in down.... repeat a few times... all ways works for me....

I just did the business card trick. Post the wipers down and stuck a business card up there to loosen any dirt. When I put the wiper backup the spring was stretched out that holds it in place. I put a zip tie around it so I hope it works

done the business card trick several times with success... ive also went a long time with blown seals.. probably not good

I would agree with sliding down the dust seals and cleaning with contact cleaner. It doesnt hurt to apply a small amount of fork oil with your finger to the areas that you sprayed contact cleaner on. This will keep the rubber moisturized and keep it from drying out. Worse comes to worse, fork seals are easy to replace, and do not cost to much. I can rebuild a set of forks in roughly an hour to give you an idea of how long it takes.

I sprayed some contact cleaner up there and it seemed to help. Figure I got one more ride left this year and ill get them replaced over winter as spring gets closer since the bikes gonna b sitting anyway

Word of caution, some contact cleaners will eat plastic and rubber. Make sure you have on eye protection as well, some cleaners have pretty nasty ingredients.

Back