Sprocket sizing

Holmboyz

PR Addict
How many of you change up your sprocket sizing when racing different tracks...is it worth having a few sizes in the trailer as an amateur?<!--EndFragment-->

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I do....I run different gearing at high point / steel city /redbud than I would at dirtworld or pymatuning... (for example)

TCracing

PR Addict
It really depends on the track and conditions, They will never be the same.
IE: you may have an track that is hard packed and fast one day then soft and deep slower the next time.
So it all depends on what is best suited for the track, the conditions, and the rider.
Much like suspension.
But for an amateur, I don't think most would notice much improvement either way, as far as gearing goes or suspension. as long as your in the middle such as were stock usually is, you will be OK.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
no thanks. i dont think at the end of the day its going to make a difference where i finish.

Are you kidding me? All this save weight talk on here about wheels and performance parts that you chummed up all winter.....? How's that gonna make a difference?!?!?! Sometimes I can't understand you lol.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
its all about the bling blinglol

but really i doubt id notice a 1 tooth difference or something. at least w/ weight and stuff the biek may handle different, or feel heavier or something and make you more tired. im not saying ill run a steel sprocket, im just saying that if i run a 50 or a 51 probably isnt going to make any difference in my day lol. actually i could have a bike that weight 150 lbs or 300 lbs and it still prob wouldnt. dammit :(

Jason145

PR Addict
I usually go down 1 tooth on the rear for the bigger tracks but for the local events i've always liked stock gear ratios

Cody Havel

PR Addict
I'll change my sprockets if I don't like where the gears are. For example, if I usually find myself wanting to get into 3rd sooner at the majority of the tracks I go to, I'd add a tooth to the rear. I can feel differences in gearing right away. Whether it's just one tooth or more. Does it really make me go any faster to have changed my gearing? Probably not. But it does make me more comfortable making the bike do what I want it to.

But as far as changing sprockets for every track, I don't do that. It's not worth it to me.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
atvgearratiochart.gif

flyin polack

PR Addict
Guy at the track said 1 tooth on the front is equal to 3 teeth for the rear in gearing. I believe him.

I went up down one tooth on the rear because I was coming up short on tables and doubles in 2nd gear, and couldn't carry enough speed to get 3rd gear to work. It worked great, even as slow as I am.
One full tooth on the front sprocket is REALLY noticable. On my 144 it was a completely different bike. I'd go with the rear sprocket first.

Scotty810

PR Addict
I should clarify my answer.....Gearing does matter, but to change it week to week for different tracks is overkill IMO. I've played with different ratios from year to year, but not day to day.