What has the sport of motocross become?????

Lakota837

PR Member
I'm sorry but I have read a lot of the posts that are on here lately and it really makes me wonder what has the sport of motocross become? First everyone was complaining that they didn't want to race on Easter Sunday because they have family things. Multiple people have posted that they couldn't race because they would end up in divorce court. I guess they really do not understand what the motocross family is or maybe they are afraid to have there direct family involved in the sport they love or maybe they're afraid to have there leashes tightend. I thought that is why so many of us loved being involved in this sport is because it is a family sport and that the people that we race with are our extended family.
Now the OMA has promised to provide great racing along with great tracks to race on and they're only on the 3rd race of the year and they want to change race dates on short notice because of the chance of bad weather. I am not a weather man but as they posted there is an 80% chance of rain. I have checked 3 different weather websites and the highest that one of them currently shows is a 60% chance of rain and the rest show even less. If they went through the time and the money to provide and hand out flyers and all of the trouble to make the schedule and now they are going to change it because of the weather maybe we should all move to somewhere beside Ohio so that we can have reliable weather. If this is the way that they are going to start off I hope that the rest of the season we only have sunny skies. If they want the best conditions why not just move the race to Saturday morning because then it will be sunny and warm and Saturday night is going to be dark and cold.
In the long run though it is up to the OMA on how they want to promote there race series. They are the ones that will have to deal with any effects their decisions cause.

Michael

PR Addict
I don't see why you're getting flustered over people's religious beliefs and commitments with their family. This is just the OMA, not an AMA LLQ. Not everyone's world revolves around racing. Believe it or not, people are allowed to spend their weekends doing other things.

As for the weather, not racing in the rain is not going to hurt the turnout. I'm sure this last minute change will be alright, and the turnout will be greater than it would have been Sunday. A high chance of rain, and Easter Sunday are just a recipe for a terribly low turnout.

I know that if I wasn't working Saturday, I would not have been going to Malvern at all this weekend with the race being on Sunday. But, now if my place of employment was to burn down I'd probably be at Malvern tomorrow.

John250

PR Founding Father
MX is a family sport and I race with my son, and my family usually always attends also. But my family and my wifes family are not going to follow all of us to the track on Easter Sunday. And my wife would never go racing on Easter. So therefore if I thought I should go racing on Easter, that's where my I would be divorced comment came from.

As far as OMA changing a race date because of weather, I think that is awesome. It allows them to get the best attendance possible, and allows us to race in good conditions. Besides a mud race is low turn out, they lose money, its more work for the promoter, and harder on their equipment and what not also. So I like the fact that they are willing to switch up dates.

hershey

PR Elite
The choice between family and racing is a no brainer. Not all families are total mx freaks. I dont think that is anything new or changed from past times in our sport. I do agree that changing the date for rain is not what you would have seen in years past. I can understand the reasoning and I dont hold that against them but I hope it is a one time change. Sunday is race day.....if you want to race night races then go for it on those nights. I hate night racing personally....it just isnt the same. I would race in the mud anytime before a night race. Ask JO....he knows my mud capabilities! Lol

nitrofish

PR Addict
I'm sorry but I have read a lot of the posts that are on here lately and it really makes me wonder what has the sport of motocross become? First everyone was complaining that they didn't want to race on Easter Sunday because they have family things. Multiple people have posted that they couldn't race because they would end up in divorce court. I guess they really do not understand what the motocross family is or maybe they are afraid to have there direct family involved in the sport they love or maybe they're afraid to have there leashes tightend. I thought that is why so many of us loved being involved in this sport is because it is a family sport and that the people that we race with are our extended family.
Now the OMA has promised to provide great racing along with great tracks to race on and they're only on the 3rd race of the year and they want to change race dates on short notice because of the chance of bad weather. I am not a weather man but as they posted there is an 80% chance of rain. I have checked 3 different weather websites and the highest that one of them currently shows is a 60% chance of rain and the rest show even less. If they went through the time and the money to provide and hand out flyers and all of the trouble to make the schedule and now they are going to change it because of the weather maybe we should all move to somewhere beside Ohio so that we can have reliable weather. If this is the way that they are going to start off I hope that the rest of the season we only have sunny skies. If they want the best conditions why not just move the race to Saturday morning because then it will be sunny and warm and Saturday night is going to be dark and cold.
In the long run though it is up to the OMA on how they want to promote there race series. They are the ones that will have to deal with any effects their decisions cause.
Newbie. I'm clubbing seals on Sunday.

mooch

PR Elite
Wow, if your this wound up over what people are or aren't doing over Easter weekend...good luck dealing with any kind of issue that actually matters.

Meister

PR Founding Father
You mean catering to the riders is a bad thing? Yup, really hope they quit doing that! Who would have thunk. Cant make everyone happy.

Hershey, your outa your mind about the mud vs night thing! Im blind and cant see for crap at night but any day of the week id rather ride a good track at night than ride a mud hole during the day. The wash time alone isnt worth it specially for a local race! Now a llq or a national, bring on the slop! Some of my best results were in the slop but damn i hate clean up!

MalvernMX

Ok, where do I start? Last night weather bug on my I pad was still saying 80% chance. This morning it is now saying 90%. Racing on Easter is risky enough (from a promoters perspective) add in an extremely high chance of rain and is a recipe for disaster. Never mind the 6 to 7 grand I have out of pocket to put on this event. We have sponsors who have agreed to provide a pile of products to give away in exchange for having their name in front of a large crowd.

Are we always going to be able to schedule for perfect weather? Obviously not. Two weeks ago at our season opener we had a very iffy forecast but I made the call on thursday that we were going to go for it regardless of what weather came. We had drizzle Saturday and very cold temps Sunday. This weekend is a totally different scenario. By moving one day not only is it a no brainer financially but I keep my word to my sponsors. Also come Monday morning instead of having 65 riders talking about how they toughed it out I can potentially have few hundred talking about great track conditions.

"The OMA has promised to provide great racing on great tracks" yes we have and empty gates and knee deep mud does not provide either. So wether it is our 3rd or 303rd race I will do EVERYTHING in my power to provide my friends and customers the best possible conditions I can. That's exactly what I have done this weekend!!

Is this how things were done 5, 10, or even a few years ago? I'm very proud to say not very often. Times change, businesses that are not willing to change with them will not thrive. Especially in this very competitive market. One need not look far to find examples of this all around us. Ok, breakfast is over and it is time to get my crew going. It's going to be a great day! Heck I might even throw a leg over a bike. Let's ride!!

Roachy

PR Addict
I don't see why you're getting flustered over people's religious beliefs and commitments with their family. This is just the OMA, not an AMA LLQ. Not everyone's world revolves around racing. Believe it or not, people are allowed to spend their weekends doing other things.

As for the weather, not racing in the rain is not going to hurt the turnout. I'm sure this last minute change will be alright, and the turnout will be greater than it would have been Sunday. A high chance of rain, and Easter Sunday are just a recipe for a terribly low turnout.

I know that if I wasn't working Saturday, I would not have been going to Malvern at all this weekend with the race being on Sunday. But, now if my place of employment was to burn down I'd probably be at Malvern tomorrow.

X2 ! I hope everyone has a great day of riding!

hindsy

PR Addict
who is this "PC" rider you speak of? i know RC JS RV RD CR but no PC... :)
really not sure why you would make reference to someone's personal choice whether they ride on Easter or not. I've been there as a little kid, but never went after growing up.
As for the weather and scheduling changes I get the why and it would be more fun for the participants for sure. Maybe making it a Sat day race would've been my only difference in choice. now if its a pro or LLQ race thats an entirely different situation.
Georgie I had to skip thru it to not go nuts reading.

hershey

PR Elite
Hershey, your outa your mind about the mud vs night thing! Im blind and cant see for crap at night but any day of the week id rather ride a good track at night than ride a mud hole during the day. The wash time alone isnt worth it specially for a local race! Now a llq or a national, bring on the slop! Some of my best results were in the slop but damn i hate clean up!

After this weekend I might be leaning your direction! Lol

Lotts24

PR Elite
Sat was an awesome day and my family is thankful for the switch. We wanted to race but I can honestly say if it would of rained on sunday with it being Easter we wouldn't of raced. You def have your die hards that will race no matter what but with the holiday weekend you may have lost a few with the rain. You win some and you lose some but I feel the baziilion riders and racers that were there on sat. was a win win situation. Bet ya the person complaining wasn't even there so they have no clue what they missed.

I can't see at night very well but I would much rather race at night than in the mud. Clean up is much easier too.

DirtworldMX

PR Addict
Ok, where do I start? Last night weather bug on my I pad was still saying 80% chance. This morning it is now saying 90%. Racing on Easter is risky enough (from a promoters perspective) add in an extremely high chance of rain and is a recipe for disaster. Never mind the 6 to 7 grand I have out of pocket to put on this event. We have sponsors who have agreed to provide a pile of products to give away in exchange for having their name in front of a large crowd.

Are we always going to be able to schedule for perfect weather? Obviously not. Two weeks ago at our season opener we had a very iffy forecast but I made the call on thursday that we were going to go for it regardless of what weather came. We had drizzle Saturday and very cold temps Sunday. This weekend is a totally different scenario. By moving one day not only is it a no brainer financially but I keep my word to my sponsors. Also come Monday morning instead of having 65 riders talking about how they toughed it out I can potentially have few hundred talking about great track conditions.

"The OMA has promised to provide great racing on great tracks" yes we have and empty gates and knee deep mud does not provide either. So wether it is our 3rd or 303rd race I will do EVERYTHING in my power to provide my friends and customers the best possible conditions I can. That's exactly what I have done this weekend!!

Is this how things were done 5, 10, or even a few years ago? I'm very proud to say not very often. Times change, businesses that are not willing to change with them will not thrive. Especially in this very competitive market. One need not look far to find examples of this all around us. Ok, breakfast is over and it is time to get my crew going. It's going to be a great day! Heck I might even throw a leg over a bike. Let's ride!!

Very well put Jason!!!!