2013 Baby Burr

There are a few of us headed down from the west side of Cleveland as usual. I can't make it on Saturday, but will head down Saturday afternoon to ride on Sunday.

On the road again....

Thanks to my amazing brother and buddies, I will be headin' down tonight sometime. Gonna be a hoot, two days, 200 miles, mostly trail, some road (you'll know by my tears as my new tires waste away on the asphalt). Things were looking bleak for me on Wednesday, when I decided to begin finally turnin' a wrench on the ole' Husky. Thanks to my bro who helped me get my frozen axle (and center punch) out, wingman Dual Sport Dave who made me a special tool and inspired me to not give up, and Sharc for showing me his time saving tricks to swappin' out the rubber. Also, Sharc provided his handlebar straightening techniques, my bars are ALMOST completely straight! I was kinda used to making a left all the time, it's easier to get through the narrow trees that way.... Sharc came over twice to help this weary, lonely Husky rider. Oh, did I mention that this series is sponsored by Husqvarna? And who hasn't seen and loved the new Husa...., i mean KTM, errrrrr..... Husky two-strokes? I want one. I can't control myself just thinking about a 300 two'y with electric start. Stop, please, it's too much.

Okay, the scoop: The Enduro Riders Association (they have great tshirts, get one while your down there) presents the 2013 200-mile National Dual Sport Trail Ride October 12th & 13th. Yea, it says trail ride, and there are easy outs for trail riders but this is probably a little more than that sounds. Easily C enduro style trails, closer to B's with expert sections that will test any riding level. These events are fun because there is no time requirement. Go at your own pace, with your buddies in a nice big group, and just see if you can complete the WHOLE course. It's pretty hard to do that I think, harder for me than it was to climb Kilimanjaro. It's good though cause there are always easy outs provided if you get tired. The ride stages at Vinton County Junior Fairgrounds in McArthur, Ohio, where everyone camps (gonna be cold at night). ERA's goal is to provide as much trail as possible, and they do a pretty good job. This is also the dual sport that usually goes through, (sometimes over) the haunted tunnel, see some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs5xlNbKrAw&feature=c4-overview&list=UU99ehZ-U-YSdyk2j1QXqlUA

Entry to this event includes: Lunch on the trail on Saturday, with a Hog Roast at the end of that day's ride, then a hot lunch on the trail on Sunday usually in a clearing on top of a big Hill (small mountain? foothill?). Breakfast both days provided by the area 4-H club, for a small donation, and tons of door prizes. I took home a bunch of husky stuff last year. Everyone usually wins something. I got most of the Husky stuff cause there are only like three of us out there, as usual. Atleast my name isn't Higgins. You can ride one day, or two, doesn't matter. Here is the flyer for more information:

http://www.enduroriders.com/images/Baby_Burr_2013_flyer_R4.pdf

P1050882.jpgP1050881.jpg

I posted some photos, from 2011. Couldn't locate my more recent shots but they are: Me standing in "Riz's Hole." This bad boy took me out in 2010 when I had the wild hair-brained idea to stay to the left on this down hill. Take my advice, stay right. Then the entrance to the Haunted Tunnel, it freaks you out the first time you actually see it, then lunch on day one, and parked bikes, served in the park on the square of some small town, and Lunch on Sunday on top of the hill with Dual Sport Dave catchin' a breather on a hay wagon, and a couple shots of the view from up there. Also shown is the ladies servin' dinner on Saturday night and the riders eating in ERA's club house. Oh, and a couple of coooooolllllddddddd morning shots.

Hope to see some of you Pitracers there, say "Hi" if you see me. I'm the guy with "Riz" on the number plate. My ego's not too big, do ya think?

Attachments

• P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 432
  • P1010030.jpg
    P1010030.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 399
  • P1010041.jpg
    P1010041.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 429
  • P1010044.jpg
    P1010044.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 401
  • P1010071.jpg
    P1010071.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 400
  • P1010055.jpg
    P1010055.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 410
  • P1010058.jpg
    P1010058.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 452
  • P1010070.jpg
    P1010070.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 431
  • P1010072.jpg
    P1010072.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 401
Damn good post, glad to see I'm still up here on Pitracer. Riding Orange now, I know, I know. You guys are all right, correct that is, and I have finally seen the light. Riding an XC set up for dual sporting, 250. Killer bike, riding is actually enjoyable. I just learned that after 30 years riding Huskies. Okay, that said. Life is grand as I am enjoying my newer bike, a KTM, and still riding as many dual sports and some enduro's as possible.

So I am well aware that this site doesn't really cater much to the dual sporting activities but who knows, some of you may be thinking about it. And I could have sworn I once saw Robin Sr. getting' lunch slopped onto his plate at an event. So, who's thinking' about it? I have to tell you, these events are amazing. Yes, we aren't doing doubles or triples, or manualling whoops, but we ride amazing single track through unbelievable back woods one would rarely see any other time. Caves, 30 creek crossings in one trail type stuff, big uphills, big downhill, all kinds of fun and games. Also, might I point out that where we live, northeast Ohio, we sit fully accessible to at least a dozen events within three hours. A lot more if you add in the Sportsman and dual sport classes in many of the enduros.

Okay, so what is the point of all this? As everyone sits here watching the super cross and talking about this year, or if you are a select few you are in Florida getting ready to ride the Daytona track after the pros go on Saturday, lets talk about what events we face this year in Beta/AMA National Dual Sport Circuit, and several private events.

Our sport starts off like NASCAR, with the Super Bowl first, and by that I say the Renfro Valley Dual Sport, May 5 & 6, 2018. This 2-day, 170-180 mile dual sport is hands down one of the best you'll ever ride. The red-clay-sand soil of Kentucky is amazing. It usually rains at some point during the weekend and drains unbelievably fast. Nothing like beatin' ass down a singe track trail or a gas-road creek in like third gear, leaves halfway growing on the trees, riding with your buddies and seeing some amazing scenery. It's a blast, and these riding clubs work really hard laying out these trails during the lead up to these events, it's amazing some of these routes that are cut through pricker patches and up creeks. Do a YouTube search for Renfro Valley Dual Sport, and check out these event flyer here:

https://www.usdualsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Flyer-2018-Renfro.pdf

Okay, I'm tired out and will write more later. Enjoy the ride everyone!

Back