OEM paint codes?

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
I think we've talked about this before, but how do you find OEM color codes for a perfect OEM paint match? Does the code just match the color, or would it be the exact stock paint match? I've talked to people about painting frames, and they've asked me things I have no idea about, like... "Do you want it done in lacquer or enamel?".

Please don't say powdercoat, or Duplicolor or I will go off the chain. They are both fine, but I like factory paint. --L*64

Would really like to know myself. I am redoing the paint on my Z50 and would love to find that "Shasta White" so it all looks nice and pretty like when I first got it.

What about primer? Anyone got a suggestion for that.. not to blow off lucky's OP, just dont want to make another thread for the same type of question.

IMO-- which doesn't mean a ton b/c I don't know too much about paint, the type of paint is important b/c some paints won't stand up to gas, chemicals, etc... as well as the stock paint. That's why I'd like to know if the code is just to get the right color, or if it's to get the right color AND type. --L*64

Well no love from the pitracer paint pro's.... I decided to go ahead and dig into the paint myself after talking with few different guys from work. I went with an "epoxy" paint because of the added resin for a better adhesion to the metal. I stopped into Summit Racing and grabbed a can of etching primer, two cans of VHT Epoxy All Weather Paint (It says no primer needed, but my parts where pretty whooped so I figured it cant hurt), and a can of VHT High Temperature Clear Coat.

This was the inital wheel after I took everything apart.
IMG_0111.jpg

I did no cleaning to the wheel, I just started with a 100 grit sandpaper, then finished with a 150 grit to achieve this.
IMG_0114.jpg

And my final result after primer, paint and clear coat. I was really happy with this as it was my first time doing a repaint on anything metal. I didnt do any resanding after I painted either before the clear coat, next time ill run over it with a 400 grit to try and clear up some blemishes. But this bike will not be seeing anymore track time, so I am going to just keep my first result and start putting everything back together.

IMG_0115.jpg

Last edited:
How's this paint holding up?

Its holding up great but the bike just sits in the garage also. I think it would be ok for something that doesnt see much abuse (rocks, metal to metal contact, etc). I would recommend this product. Next time im using more than two coats though..

Back