Mecum Motorcycle Auction Vegas

Vet261

PR Addict
On TV next week
Las Vegas: MotorcyclesTue Jan 31 8:00PM - 2:00AM DELAYED
nbcsn-horizontal.png

bruceb

PR Addict
There were also a few 2 stroke street bikes that were appealing (Suzuki Gammas, Honda NSR)
bruce

BILL88L

PR Addict
I went through every page on this and there are some awesome bikes for sure. I saw one that got me real emotional for the following reasons:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0117-262914/1976-suzuki-gt550-triple/

In 1981 at 16 I was working as a ride operator at Geauga Lake and a 65 year old guy had this exact same bike for sale on Aurora Rd in Aurora with 900 miles on it for $950. It was off the charts mint and way better than this one on miles and condition. I had to borrow some money but I of course bought it and I spent the next 3 years riding the piss out of it. It was fast as hell and would go 138 MPH tapped out. Didn't really corner that well as evidenced by the 3 times I went down on it.

The final wreck happened in college at OSU on a gravel laced on ramp, bald tires from lighting them up didn't help, to 315 and the result was 4 hours of rock scraping on my t-shirt and shorts body. Bell Star helmet(always) saved my head but the bike was pretty banged up.

2 weeks later my brothers best friend died drinking and driving and my late father pulled me aside and said "your mother and I don't want you riding that bike anymore and I will pay you every dime you paid for it and we can put it in the trash - the dirt bikes are ok but not on the street" The man had tears in his eyes for the first time I had ever seen in my life. I actually sold it to a friend for I think $500 but I never did ride it again.

The smartest man I ever knew was spot on. I absolutely had no business having a street bike at that point of my life. God I miss him.....

Last edited: