Whitcraft/Kilbarger Motocross Camp - Sharing My Experience

mshafer62

PR Addict
Possibly you have seen the posts regarding the Whitcraft/Kilbarger Motocross camps. I attended the most recent 2-day camp and want to share some of my experience with you.

Saturday started a little bit after 9am, an hour earlier than normal due to the possibility of stormy weather (that never materialized). The first lesson is posture on the bike. Levi demonstrates. It's more than elbows up or balls of your feet. It's toe and knee position, back and wrist angle. They take time to work with everyone to get into a strong riding position. Chris doesn't stop emphasizing the benefits of this (I've been told this before from previous lessons but I didn't have it correct. Old habits die hard). It's a wide age group and almost evenly split between big bikes and little bikes so we divide up and head out for our first corner drill.

Our first drill (with Levi) is a short rhythm section followed by a left turn, short straight and immediate right turn, slightly uphill. Proper form is the emphasis. We do this as a group, then 3 at a time. It gets much harder when your peers are watching you.

Our second drill is a slight downhill with a short loamy rutted 90* turn to the right that you have to do standing up. Chris explains in detail how to place your weight and what you do if your front wheel starts to come out of the rut. Surprisingly I make it through the drill without falling but Coach Chris reminds me about my form.

Next, we work on starts as a complete group. Levi discusses his technique. Then adds "The start is your only chance to beat everyone to the first turn. Don't lose the opportunity". We make 4 or 5 starts. My fellow Vet rider Jim beats me every time!

We take about an hour break for lunch while Chris and Levi head out to prep 2 different corners.

The first-afternoon drill was a roller/whoop section into a long slightly uphill left hand turn that is tilled deep and I mean deep. 450 axle++ deep. I struggle as ruts are formed and of course I fall over in the freshly tilled soil. It was almost like falling into foam. A hook at the end of the corner makes it even more challenging. It is a great drill to learn to get your leg up and out, lean the bike over and hold a steady throttle. They have been adding sawdust and sand to the soil to emulate the conditions at Loretta's. In every drill there is a lot of repetition and critique.

Our last drill for the day was a downhill jump followed by a long turn to the left with a short uphill. Some riders tripled the jump, others doubled, I rolled it and started down the hill. I had a hard time hitting that rut and again I crash and get pinned under my bike. As we work on this it does get easier. After this drill there is an open session to ride but I have to leave. The day ends close to 5pm.

Sunday (9-3 with an hour for lunch) used the same corners but the level of intensity definitely increased. More corner drills, some included side by side competition and some against the clock (with pushups if you failed to better your previous time (yep, I had to drop and do 10)). There were also gate drops with hot laps.

So now, what do I really think?
I passed on Vet Fest at Red Bud to attend this camp. I love riding at Red Bud, but I felt my riding needed help, especially my corner speed. So I committed to attend the school. I'd been thinking about attending one for a couple years. But I thought if I just rode more I'd get better when in reality all I was doing was continuing to practice poor habits. You may have noticed from above there isn't a mention of jumps, their camps are all about corners and starts. When you think about how many positions you could gain by improving your corner speed or getting a great start, it only makes sense.

Would I do it again?
The short and long answer is yes. Would I do every camp they have? If I had serious racing intentions, probably yes. The repetition and instruction creates good habits. As I'm looking to keep riding for as long as I can I'd probably attend 2 camps per year, just to stay fresh.

Misc,
If you're traveling to attend, they allow camping at the track. There are also hotels in Logan and cabins that you could rent in Hocking Hills approx 15-20 min away. In fact you could make a long weekend of it with the activities available in the area. My fellow Vet, Jim was there with his son which was very cool they share the same interest. Possibly they would consider a family camp or vet camp?

Lastly,
I almost didn't attend. I was worried about my age and skill level vs. the group, blah, blah, blah, but it wasn't an issue. Everyone made me feel welcome and I feel like I learned by watching others not just from the instruction. Also, it was a great to ride Levi's private track. It's VERY different than my local track.
I can't say enough good. Thank you, Chris and Levi, for your tutelage and patience. $300 well spent.

Photos from Ontheroad http://www.ontheroadmx.com/Riding-Schools/RIDING-SCHOOL-82017/

Last edited:
I signed Austin up for the class at chillitown with the dynamic duo with Gibson helping out too! Amazing class and instructors. The same basic format. They really took the time be be certain every rider, and parent, understood the techniques and form. But even better they explained WHY you should use them.

Austin improved in every aspect including his confidence. His start form is perfect now, better than mine for sure. Really helped him out. I'd send him again when they have some 50cc stuff for sure. And I'm in on the next class myself for sure.

I really want to attend one of these next summer after I'm done with school.

When you don't ride and race everyday skills and fundamentals get sloppy. I need to strengthen up my upper body and core. I get tired fast and get sloppy. These guys instruction on composition will pay off ten fold when you're dog tired last lap of a regional. Might be the difference between losing the qualifying position.

Good for you Mark. I stopped by earlier this year to see what was happening and it looked like all kids enrolled. Really miss riding there, just a few miles from HAH.

Since my original post, I've thought of a couple additional details to share

-It's not a fashion show, save your new kit for another day
-Same for new tires
-Parents might want to bring a large umbrella for themselves as some viewing areas have shade, others not so much
-Don't wait to sign up, previous camps have filled up fast

14084.jpeg 14086.jpeg
Photo credits to Corey Mays

Back