Just a washed up old guy looking for opinions

DC817

PR Addict
I haven’t been on pitracer for a good 9-10 years since I sold my last bike, good to see it’s still around!

Anyways, I’m 99% sure I’m going to jump back into the moto game. Haven’t touched a bike since 2010 and haven’t raced since 2009. Now being a washed up and 30 years old, I’m ready.

Most of the time I’ll just be spinning laps at open practices for fun but will race a few times a year. Never rode 450’s in the past, always 250F’s. Just looking for opinions of some vet guys on whether you think I should buy a 450 or 250F? The KTM 350 would probably be perfect but that’s a steep price tag for as much use as I’ll get out of it. By the way, I’m up 50+ pounds since my last days racing at 130 if that makes a difference in your opinions. Appreciate any advice and look forward to seeing some old familiar faces at the track!

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Bought a 450 in 13. Hated it. Love my husky 250f. Want a 350. But if you’re thinking about it just do it now. The tariffs are gonna make those bikes even more expensive. I’d get a 350 if I was you....or a 144/150 smoker.

jj584

PR Addict
I’d get a 250’if I wasn’t so fat. I ride a 450 and I love my bike, but when I play with my sons 250f it’s so much easier to ride. I’m 230lbs.

SCHAFFERNOCKER

PR Addict
Glad you're back, we did alot of racing in the past, I remembered the name after seeing your profile. You'll be ok on a 250F or 350. 450's are nice to fluff around on. Being your not a bigger guy you wont be at a disadvantage on the smaller CC bikes.

People just can't give up moto. It's a serious addiction!!!!

DC817

PR Addict
Glad you're back, we did alot of racing in the past, I remembered the name after seeing your profile. You'll be ok on a 250F or 350. 450's are nice to fluff around on. Being your not a bigger guy you wont be at a disadvantage on the smaller CC bikes.

People just can't give up moto. It's a serious addiction!!!!

Yeah man, I remember you. And you’re not kidding! Almost 10 years and the itch never went away.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
Head to a practice track with some old buddies and ask around, people will let you spin a few laps to see how it feels. I love my 450 and bigger motors, but my dad has a 350 now and with a flywheel weight on it, I hate to say that I like riding that too. 350's and 450's can run an awful lot of hours without needing any work if you are keeping the air cleaner clean and the oil changed. Pretty nice to be able to just jump on and ride. Since the 19's are coming out now, you might be able to find 2017 KTM's and Husky's for sale soon that have the AER forks (a huge step up from 16's and earlier) for a decent deal so people can get their hands on 2019's. The 17's were very nice rides in 350 and 450's from KTM / Husky, and they are pretty bulletproof.

Glad you're back.

Meister

PR Founding Father
450! Or an alta. However, you'll probably really dig a 350. Low end grunt like a 450 but you ride it wide open like a 250f (like your used to).

My next piece of advice is to just have fun. Some of my buddies get so pissed if they race someone from back in the day and get smoked. Well, this ain't back in the day. It's for fun at this point in our lives. Don't ever make it stressful. Sure, nerves might show back up at a race, but make it FUN. Even if your tongue is hanging to your chain on lap 2, back her off and have fun doing it. We're "old" now and dont have crap to prove!

DC817

PR Addict
Appreciate everyone’s advice! Ended up buying a used 250F tonight. Exactly like Meister said, it’s all about fun now and ultimately I think I’ll have a lot more fun on the 250F. Went the used route to make sure I’m going to ride as much as I hope to before I drop a lot of cash. See everyone at the track!