Chad Reed on JGR Suzuki

jj584

PR Addict
If it happens it’s a good deal for Reed and a draw to JGR for name dropping. They’re not going to win the 22 though.

John250

PR Founding Father
If it happens it’s a good deal for Reed and a draw to JGR for name dropping. They’re not going to win the 22 though.
Saw reeds interview. He even said he was not out there for wins. Said he was competitive and he thought he could still be am ambassador for someone. Sounded like he was only going to race if it was on a factory bike. I am told JGR has the biggest presence in the pits now, so what's one more rider?

four26stroker

PR Member
I'd sign Reed just on T-shirt sales...He's to me like a DeCoster type guy. If given the opportunity he could Run a Team and draw the right riders. He's fast and has riden all the fastest bikes. He knows more about this sport from the ground up to the top. He has maintained a level presence and commands respect based on his performance...I'm a fan roll 22

Lotts24

PR Elite
Rumor is suzi is on board with reed riding. They will supply bikes and equipment for him. Jgr just needs to work out the finance side of things. I def feel their is possibilities after riding for reed their so seems to be a good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jj584

PR Addict
I’ve thought for awhile that if he could land a brand ambassador job or something else on a team he would give up racing. Do you guys think he was pissed when Villapoto moved to blue?

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
No, I don’t think they care. There is a “limited-unlimited” amount of slots for ambassadors. They’re put in place for marketability. And as such if the market warrants two brand ambassadors, manufacturers will produce two.

These ambassadors have to be nostalgic. MC, RC,JS7, Reed, dungey villopoto, Pastrana. Cant think of many more than can slide into those positions. They’re known to people that have no idea about motocross.

Ever have someone ask you about a t shirt !? Oh do you race ? They respond with Yea ricky Carmicaels or bubba Stewart! And then you’re thinking To yourself “oh brother here we go” and three sentences later either them or their cousin has a sponsor and their pro card.....blah blah.

But that’s marketabikity. Guys that just spew off those two names because of t shirt will more than likely go out and buy the brand that JS7 and RC are associated with if they spend the money. At the least they’ll buy a t shirt with the pros name on it and advertise for free.....nobody is buying a husky 2 stroke that doesn’t already have an immense love for motocross because gared Steinke is on one....he’s an awesome dude but never will be able to be a brand ambassador.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I think the whole brand ambassador thing is kind of stupid to be honest. Villopoto x Yamaha (should be Kawi), McGrath x Kawi (Should be honda)

Maybe I am just crazy and brand loyal but if you made your legacy on a certain bike....wouldn't you want to represent that bike? I dunno. Reed has rode them all so I guess it doesn't matter. RC at suzuki is the only one that makes sense.

John250

PR Founding Father
Have to agree. You think of Honda, you think of McGrath or Rick Johnson. Yamaha, Chad Reed or Bob Hanaha, Suzuki would be RC or Decoster, Kawaski would be Bubba or Villapoto or Jeff Ward. KTM would definitely be Dungey, he put them on the map. Specific brands make you think of certain people even if they have rode for other companies.

I see JGR signing Reed to a "mentoring" coach for the 250 team and a 450 SX contract.

moto856

PR Member
I'd sign Reed just on T-shirt sales...He's to me like a DeCoster type guy. If given the opportunity he could Run a Team and draw the right riders. He's fast and has riden all the fastest bikes. He knows more about this sport from the ground up to the top. He has maintained a level presence and commands respect based on his performance...I'm a fan roll 22

Totally agree

trent56mx

PR Addict
I think the whole brand ambassador thing is kind of stupid to be honest. Villopoto x Yamaha (should be Kawi), McGrath x Kawi (Should be honda)

Maybe I am just crazy and brand loyal but if you made your legacy on a certain bike....wouldn't you want to represent that bike? I dunno. Reed has rode them all so I guess it doesn't matter. RC at suzuki is the only one that makes sense.

Disagree. If they're badass enough to win multiple championships I don't care who pays the bills to keep them relevant and attending events after they hang the boots up.

They were awesome riders, great champions, entertaining personalities and if they want to stay around the industry good for them.