Camp Cattail 2019

NQ1965

PR Elite
Camp Cattail AHRMA weekend July 20-21 (Next Weekend)

Anybody thinking about doing it?

66686003_1950414245059591_7531579965079289856_n.jpg

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
That's good enough for me.
Grass track for motocross would be a good enough reason to drag Poor Tom along.

Vintage Days came and went so fast, I feel like I've only gotten warmed up for the season. Still got the itch.:D

Reactions: k01

Dano762

PR Addict
One of my favorites. Good cause, folks, and fun grass track - with fun elevation changes. The down and up hill loop remind me a Action Sports down hill and climb back up (not quite as big).

Mike - you will enjoy the Cross Country - deep ruts and good mix of technical stuff.

Reactions: k01

k01

PR Elite
Great that it is a 2 day event now too. Multiple MX and CC classes the same day in the summer heat was a bit much.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Would like to, but not sure we'll make it back down on Sunday for the Cross Country race.
We're not camper's, and at 80 miles one way, a bit of a haul for my old Ford.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Dead engine start
Green Flag wave start
Hand on Your Helmet start
Backwards falling gate start
and now.... A Rubber Band start

Memory tells me that I've done a "forward falling" gate start, but I just can't remember where?
The only start I haven't done yet is where you have a starting line, and run to your bike.
IMG_7473.JPG

I know this is kind of goofy, but a Happy Family is a Racing Family right?
My oldest granddaughter who wanted to come to the race couldn't, assigned one of her helpers to go and provide Race Day Reporting. So Nancy, (Grandma), had to see to it that this happened. It got some puzzled looks, some laughs, and a couple people helped in the assignment for fun.
This is Annie, The Freas/Molden family motosports racing correspondent. (this will win me a bushel full of PaPa points with all three of my granddaughters)

Every motorsports reporter has to have a camera and GoPro.
IMG_1437.JPG

Loading for a race is a lot of work! (But I really dig this "Post-Vintage Non-Current" truck) :D
IMG_1438.JPG

6:15 a.m. and on the road. 76 miles to Camp Cattail.
IMG_1442.JPG

Look Ladies "Racing Bling".
IMG_1443.JPG

Racer Registration...Attention to details here is important.
IMG_1444.JPG

Weekend Of Legends! ………. Camp Cattail's motocross Hero's
IMG_1445.JPG

Vintage Event T-Shirts are a must-have. Tells where a Racer has been.
IMG_1447.JPG

Grandpa's favorite part of the day......Putting on the boots.
IMG_1450.JPG

Race Ready for Moto-1.... (just not sure why we call him "Poor Tom"). just don't get it?
IMG_1451.JPG

Stretching..SOOOO important. Reduces chances of injury, and improves flexibility and reflex's.
IMG_1454.JPG

Helmet Inspection... Making sure he didn't forget his transponder sticker.
IMG_1458.JPG

Post Vintage 50+, Moto 1........Move over boys, here we come!
IMG_1471.JPG

Not only a racer, but have to be a mechanic too.
IMG_1479.JPG

After 4 moto's, it's time to hit the road again. That's Racing! Love It!

From Central Ohio's "Camp Cattail" AHRMA race, reporting to you from Freas/Molden Motorsports Reporting, This is Annie saying Goodbye, and see you in 2020.
IMG_1485.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:

k01

PR Elite
Dead engine start
Green Flag wave start
Hand on Your Helmet start
Backwards falling gate start
and now.... A Rubber Band start

Memory tells me that I've done a "forward falling" gate start, but I just can't remember where?
The only start I haven't done yet is where you have a starting line, and run to your bike.
View attachment 61173

I know this is kind of goofy, but a Happy Family is a Racing Family right?
My oldest granddaughter who wanted to come to the race couldn't, assigned one of her helpers to go and provide Race Day Reporting. So Nancy, (Grandma), had to see to it that this happened. It got some puzzled looks, some laughs, and a couple people helped in the assignment for fun.
This is Annie, The Freas/Molden family motosports racing correspondent. (this will win me a bushel full of PaPa points with all three of my granddaughters)

Every motorsports reporter has to have a camera and GoPro.
View attachment 61174

Loading for a race is a lot of work! (But I really dig this "Post-Vintage Non-Current" truck) :D
View attachment 61175

6:15 a.m. and on the road. 76 miles to Camp Cattail.
View attachment 61177

Look Ladies "Racing Bling".
View attachment 61178

Racer Registration...Attention to details here is important.
View attachment 61179

Weekend Of Legends! ………. Camp Cattail's motocross Hero's
View attachment 61180

Vintage Event T-Shirts are a must-have. Tells where a Racer has been.
View attachment 61181

Grandpa's favorite part of the day......Putting on the boots.
View attachment 61183

Race Ready for Moto-1.... (just not sure why we call him "Poor Tom"). just don't get it?
View attachment 61184

Stretching..SOOOO important. Reduces chances of injury, and improves flexibility and reflex's.
View attachment 61185

Helmet Inspection... Making sure he didn't forget his transponder sticker.
View attachment 61186

Post Vintage 50+, Moto 1........Move over boys, here we come!
View attachment 61187

Not only a racer, but have to be a mechanic too.
View attachment 61188

After 4 moto's, it's time to hit the road again. That's Racing! Love It!

From Central Ohio's "Camp Cattail" AHRMA race, reporting to you from Freas/Molden Motorsports Reporting, This is Annie saying Goodbye, and see you in 2020.
View attachment 61189
So there wasn't some kind of grandparent's moto separation anxiety thing going on. That's good to know!

NQ1965

PR Elite
So overall the Camp Cattail AHRMA regional motocross race was a pretty good time. As usual for us, we didn`t get as much time as we'd like to socialize with those that we know, and those that we met.
There was a good bit of time spent by those that organized the event and seemed as though the program went well. There was a good deal of issues getting the race results straight but I think they got them worked out.
It was stated that the event earned $9000 for camp cattail last year, so thats a huge plus.

The track layout was pretty good with a good mix and variety of riding challenges. Some corners were disc`d up, and some left as grass. I'm not used to so many tight hairpin turns but that`s racing. You take what you get.

I was in race #1, "Vintage 50+", and we were mixed with 4 other class's I believe.
Then I was in race #7, "Post Vintage 50+". There were 10 of us alone on that line.

I don't know Woody's last name, but I've raced with him before at Action Sports.
He's tough to beat on that Husky.
IMG_7482.JPG

If you want to catch some of these bikes, sometimes you gotta let her fly!
IMG_7500 (2).JPG

We had some good tight race action going on, which is always fun.
IMG_7501.JPG

IMG_7518.JPG

KO1's sweet YZ125
IMG_7522.JPG

Here, I'm giving it my all to stay ahead of Frank Flinners YZ465 and those behind him.
IMG_7530.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG

These two are for you Dano762.
This was uphill jump climbing out of the "Action Sports" style woods loop.
IMG_7553 (2).JPG

And with a little KO1 flare
IMG_7571.JPG

In my Vintage 50+ race, I spent a lot of my time battling with this guy, Mike, from Amanda Ohio on his Bultaco. And though he was actually in the 60+ class, he was good competition for me.
IMG_7583.JPG

In moto-1, we started out with him ahead of me, I later made a pass, but with the help of some mis-shift neutrals in my gearbox, he later got around me again. I spent two moto's chasing him.
Hell of a good racer!
IMG_7593.JPG

No photo collection would be complete without KO styling it out for us.:D
IMG_7642.JPG

IMG_7644.JPG

I later realized that she didn't get any shots of Jeffro racing on a sweet 96 CR250.
Raced with Jeff quite a few times, but have never got to watch him race motocross.
My mistake. I didn't tell her.

Attachments

• IMG_7531.JPG
    IMG_7531.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
Yea, they had to do some banner tape repair in many places around the track.

Here's a pretty good clip of the Post Vintage, 50+, moto-1 race start. I got to tear through a section and ride the rest of the race with it streaming from my bike.

The cool side of the story though was that about half way around the track, 1st lap, the leader developed a bike issue and I found myself in the lead for awhile. You don't see THAT very often!

Same race, GoPro footage.
The three guys on my ass were all fast and smooth riders. The grass was just starting to dry out, and I came into the scoring tent wide and too fast with rear wheel locked. I'm sure one of them would of got by me in the next lap or so anyway, but it was great while it lasted.

In moto 2, those same three guys had a good clean start and pulled away. I was following up in 4th, with the guy behind me who led the beginning of moto-1. Him and I battled all four laps. He was finally able to make a pass on me when I mis-shifted in the bottom of the woods loop. My finish's ended up being "4th and 5th".

Sorry for all the pic's and rambling on, but I did have a blast, and Nancy did a great job capturing it as usual.

Last edited:

k01

PR Elite
I found new reason to race AHRMA at Cattail. Next Gen MX 60+ is now my favorite and after 23 years this bike is finally running fine. Cruised my moto laps with a big grin and that's exactly what I'm looking for.
2019-07-17 21.42.00.jpg