250 vs. 350 vs. 450

Never used this..seems cool...

• Total voters

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Update - Went to the crow canyon demo day - track was in excellent shape I was really impressed by that - I'm usually picky about tracks too. Went in 90% committed to the 350.

Rode the YZ's first and I did a total 180 flip from what I though about them originally - (mellow map maybe?) - 250f felt kind of slow (mellow map?) and the 450 felt much more linear and smooth roll on not jumpy - and the suspension and ergos were perfect - hopped right on and felt more comfortable then I probably ever felt on my kx250f. KYB SSS stuff is magic.

Then hopped on the KTM's second demo session of the day - rode 250, 350 and 450 - really not pumped on the suspension and chassis feeling - harsh - twitchy - just weird - it all felt super weird - 350 and 250 motors were on point - KTM 450 was too gnarly.

So being later in the day I was kind of let down on lack of comfort on the KTM's - my guess was damn track must just be dry and choppy - went back and jumped on the yz450 - still felt better on the YZ.

Now I'm second guessing BIG TIME. Lol. Dirt Bikes are hard. I think my skills are for sure better now than the last time I rode the YZ450 also.

John250

PR Founding Father
I have a new YZ 450. Been struggling to get suspension right since SRS worked on it. It was good, but a little harsh compared to my old bike. Now it is horrible. I just want to get it back to where it was prior to SRS working on it. But it is a great bike.

Romanyak256

PR Addict
Update - Went to the crow canyon demo day - track was in excellent shape I was really impressed by that - I'm usually picky about tracks too. Went in 90% committed to the 350.

Rode the YZ's first and I did a total 180 flip from what I though about them originally - (mellow map maybe?) - 250f felt kind of slow (mellow map?) and the 450 felt much more linear and smooth roll on not jumpy - and the suspension and ergos were perfect - hopped right on and felt more comfortable then I probably ever felt on my kx250f. KYB SSS stuff is magic.

Then hopped on the KTM's second demo session of the day - rode 250, 350 and 450 - really not pumped on the suspension and chassis feeling - harsh - twitchy - just weird - it all felt super weird - 350 and 250 motors were on point - KTM 450 was too gnarly.

So being later in the day I was kind of let down on lack of comfort on the KTM's - my guess was damn track must just be dry and choppy - went back and jumped on the yz450 - still felt better on the YZ.

Now I'm second guessing BIG TIME. Lol. Dirt Bikes are hard. I think my skills are for sure better now than the last time I rode the YZ450 also.

i was out there also, i remember passing you a few times. But only bike i rode was the 150sx and loved it. Not a fan of the ktm 4 strokes, i don’t like the chassis and handling. I’ll stick to my crf450... weird thing is i always keep it on stock map and i rode all day out at crow on the aggressive map.

mcso434

PR Member
I'm really kicking myself for not heading to the demo day at Crow so I could ride the 350 and 450 back to back. I ride woods and some harescrambles. I have been set on buying a white or orange 350. The main purpose would be for a track bike, so I could learn that discipline. I certainly would try the 350 in the woods because I'm curious about it in that setting. I currently ride a Beta 250rr and it is the best bike I have had for my purposes.

So today I rode a '17 450sxf. The thing was abrupt and jumpy on the throttle. I think if I was set on strictly a track bike, I'd go 450. But, thinking about trying that thing in the woods, I'd be whiskey throttling all over the place! Definitely couldn't ride it like my 250 2T in the woods!

I guess that wouldn't scratch my itch of wanting to try the 350 in the woods either. But, I'm also not sure I'd even like the 350 for woods either.

Should have gone to the demo. :(

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I still like the 350s.

Can’t deny Yamahas SSS. THAT s**t is sick. Always has been. The wp aer Kit is adjustable enough to match sss in my opinion with time and set up. I need to ride a new yz 450. Last one I had was a 13 and it about ripped my arms off. Couldn’t ride it. Suspension was amazing though.

Crazy to think 13 was 7 years ago already.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
I still like the 350s.

Can’t deny Yamahas SSS. THAT s**t is sick. Always has been. The wp aer Kit is adjustable enough to match sss in my opinion with time and set up. I need to ride a new yz 450. Last one I had was a 13 and it about ripped my arms off. Couldn’t ride it. Suspension was amazing though.

Crazy to think 13 was 7 years ago already.

I remember passing you a bunch with my WP aer forks.

trent56mx

PR Addict

I think you should wait until the electric quad comes out

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I'm really kicking myself for not heading to the demo day at Crow so I could ride the 350 and 450 back to back. I ride woods and some harescrambles. I have been set on buying a white or orange 350. The main purpose would be for a track bike, so I could learn that discipline. I certainly would try the 350 in the woods because I'm curious about it in that setting. I currently ride a Beta 250rr and it is the best bike I have had for my purposes.

So today I rode a '17 450sxf. The thing was abrupt and jumpy on the throttle. I think if I was set on strictly a track bike, I'd go 450. But, thinking about trying that thing in the woods, I'd be whiskey throttling all over the place! Definitely couldn't ride it like my 250 2T in the woods!

I guess that wouldn't scratch my itch of wanting to try the 350 in the woods either. But, I'm also not sure I'd even like the 350 for woods either.

Should have gone to the demo. :(

Ride a 350. As much usable motor as a 450 I’d say. They are FAST. Once you get it up in the revs a bit it’s a 450 - down low it’s like an aggressive built 250f. Wish it had spring forks. Technical Touch KYB inserts are spendy...

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
i was out there also, i remember passing you a few times. But only bike i rode was the 150sx and loved it. Not a fan of the ktm 4 strokes, i don’t like the chassis and handling. I’ll stick to my crf450... weird thing is i always keep it on stock map and i rode all day out at crow on the aggressive map.

Next time say what’s up! I rode a CRF a couple weeks ago too - great suspension but I felt the rigid chassis people talk about. - motor is gnarly too. I get why people like it - but not my style I think. Honda’s turn so damn fast too. Drop right in that inside rut no problem. Yamaha is hands down the most comfort I’ve felt just hopping on the bike and riding.