Post to the AMA regarding off-road riding areas being closed.

Toddco327

PR Addict
I believe they are counting your money spent on memberships during this time.

I imagine the fight isn’t worth the time. They aren’t losing market share. The membership fee has been paid. Nothing else to gain. Revenue is probably down, but every other retail establishment is also down So what is the point of risking pissing off a senator or governor when they can just sit on the side and wait out the month.

vetmx793

PR Member
I tried to get AMA involved when they shut down Beachwood trails & Lo-con wrote them a letter.... they didn't want to get involved.??? Not sure why I'm still a life member??? Thought they fought for riders rights!

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I just re upped my membership for 3 years bringing me to a life member about 5 months ago. Probably shouldn’t of done that.

jj584

PR Addict
In the news today Dewine said certain approved businesses will be start to open May 1. Gives hope but I sure would like to know who gets to choose which non essential business gets to open first.

John250

PR Founding Father
I do think they do a lot legislatively. That's the one section of the magazine I always take a look at. This pandemic I think is much different, and I am sure they have discussed it. They are on the leadership team meeting on a regular basis to come up with procedures for tracks to follow to re-open. I got that email the other day.

The roadside towing is awesome. Used it once on my car with an electrical issue, and once when my daughter was in an accident, and they even got keys out of my sons truck. Great service. No reason to really pay for AAA.

Georgie, being a life member is awesome! Ive been racing almost as long as you've been alive (slight exaggeration) on a life membership with no fees!!

RLT Competition Bulletin 2020-6:
Safe-to-Race Task Force Announced
TO: 2020 Motorsports Athletes, Race Fans and Staff
DATE: April 15, 2020
SUBJECT: RLT COMPETITION BULLETIN 2020-6:
Safe-to-Race Task Force Announced

The Race Leadership Team has appointed a Safe-to-Race Task Force to manage our sport’s race to recovery. Members of the committee include representatives from AMA, AMA Pro Racing, Feld Entertainment, Ignite Partners, MX Sports Pro Racing, USMA, and others experienced and knowledgeable in motorsports event operations and management. The group also includes event software developers, series managers and a rider representative.
The goal of the committee will be to develop best practices for a post-COVID19 motorsports event to be shared with race promoters and event organizers nationwide. The Safe-to-Race Task Force will review current processes and procedures for cash transactions, gate admission, race registration, technical inspection, riders meetings, race procedures, podium celebrations, press conferences, autograph sessions, fan participation and viewing areas, parking and camping areas, etc., and recommend new protocols that focus on protecting the personal health, safety and welfare of athletes, fans and staff. The group will review how to accommodate current social distancing guidelines and identify preventative actions that can be implemented during an event, such as hands-free registration, cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces, and maintaining safe distancing in public areas, as recommended by the CDC. The group will also develop an infectious disease outbreak plan for event organizers that can be shared with their community leaders and local health officials. This group’s final product will be the Safe-to-Race Tool Kit.
It is the opinion of the RLT that the return to competition will be determined on a local level, and that local authorities and health officials will play a significant role in the decision on whether it is safe to race. By developing a Safe-to-Race Tool Kit for event organizers that can be shared with local authorities, the return to competition may be quickened, as health officials can be assured that adequate infectious disease safety precautions were in place. By being proactive and developing motorsports-specific safety protocols, the Safe-to-Race Tool Kit will provide the information and comfort to officials and fans that it is safe to return to the racetrack. By working together, we can all race safe. We look forward to sharing the results with our race community.
Safe-to-Race Task Force Members:
AMA:
Bill Cumbow, Mike Pelletier, Alexandria Kovacs
AMA Pro Racing: Gene Crouch, Jared Johnson and Joey Mancari
Feld Entertainment: Dave Prater
Ignite Partners: Ken Hudgens and Tim Murray
Motorsports Reg: Brian Ghidinelli and Chris Redrich
MX Sports: Tim Cotter, Jeremy Holbert and Jeff Canfield
MX Sports Pro Racing: Davey Coombs, Carrie Russell and Roy Janson
Mylaps: John Dains and Gabe Ellett
Pro Motocross Organizers: Amy Ritchie and Alan Verlander
USMA: Robert Johnson and Shawn Stewart
Rider Representative: JH Leale
About the Race Leadership Team (RLT):
As a result of the COVID19 crisis and the resulting cancellation of events, it became necessary to communicate on a regular basis with the race community regarding scheduling. The Race Leadership Team (RLT) was organized to accomplish this goal and consists of representatives from the AMA, MX Sports and MX Sports Pro Racing. The RLT meets every Monday to review race schedules, making adjustments as needed, and work with event organizers to reschedule events when possible, as we maneuver through the crisis.
The RLT continues to urge racing families to use common sense: 1) wash your hands often; 2) avoid shaking hands or coming into close personal contact with others; 3) cough into your elbow; 4) if you are sick, stay home; 5) if you are really sick, go to the hospital; and 6) don’t panic.
The health, safety and welfare of our riders, fans and their families remain paramount, and we will keep our race community apprised of all further developments.
Please direct all communications to info@mxsports.com.

Last edited:

Vet261

PR Addict
I received an email later in the afternoon from Michael Sayre, Director of Government Relations for the AMA in Washington DC.

I really don't feel comfortable posting the email online, but it was nice that he took the time to reach out to me. It didn't say a whole heck of a lot, more of a "hang in there" type of thing.

This is all probably moot at this point anyway with President Trump and Governor Dewine (Ohio) both announcing today at their respective press conferences the plans to begin opening the country back up in phases.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
"Rider Representative: JH Leale"
Who the hell is that? One unknown person? Who elected that person? What directive did he / she get from the riders?
Hey, I'm glad they are planning but this is so typical of MX. All the people who stand to make money off the racers, but not a single racer in sight.
Back in the late 90's we nearly had an organization STRICTLY for the racer... How much better off would we have been now if that would have came to fruition...

Double D

PR Founding Father
I believe they are counting your money spent on memberships during this time.

I imagine the fight isn’t worth the time. They aren’t losing market share. The membership fee has been paid. Nothing else to gain. Revenue is probably down, but every other retail establishment is also down So what is the point of risking pissing off a senator or governor when they can just sit on the side and wait out the month.
I’m sure Rita Coombs has something to lose.