Rebuild or Trade in

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Right now I'm cruising to hit 80 - 100 hours on my YZ450f by the time winter hits..........at 40 hours right now.

Just figuring it up quick it's going to be pretty spendy to rebuild for next year off the top I'm thinking
- Full Motor
- Full Suspension (Already rebuilt once so far this year)
- Linkage/Misc Bearings
- Chain Sprockets
- Plastics/Graphics/Seat Cover
- Clutch
- Rims (maybe)

At this point would it just make sense to trade in and get a new 450 - probably green since you can get them pretty cheap leftover and be cheaper off. It sounds insane but is it? I dunno. Flame away.

I like my YZ so much even if it doesn't make sense money wise I could still end up keeping it - we'll see.

JMO330

PR Member
You know to some people 100hrs is just broke in. I agree with selling it outright first. Then go buy new. Just my .02

John250

PR Founding Father
Hershey rebuilt a YZ450 at 300 hours. Honestly your probably good another season on it. But I would trade in before I did all that for sure.

Romanyak256

PR Addict
You put some serious $ in your bike. I’m still on factory clutch 3rd set of fork seals and had to buy a new killswitch module and that’s it, and that’s on a 2017 crf450r. Granted i only ride once maybe twice a month, thags probably why i haven’t even broke 50 hours yet. I’d try selling it out right first, you’ll get the most $ that way, unless you have a buddy who will hook you up on trade in value. Ask use to always give us top $ for trade in on our bikes.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
You put some serious $ in your bike. I’m still on factory clutch 3rd set of fork seals and had to buy a new killswitch module and that’s it, and that’s on a 2017 crf450r. Granted i only ride once maybe twice a month, thags probably why i haven’t even broke 50 hours yet. I’d try selling it out right first, you’ll get the most $ that way, unless you have a buddy who will hook you up on trade in value. Ask use to always give us top $ for trade in on our bikes.

The list above is what I’ll have to do this fall/winter at 80 or so hours.
So far it’s just been 3 sets of tires, chain and sprockets, and I am going to order a clutch when I get back from red bud.

hershey

PR Elite
don't even think about rebuilding the top end until 200 hours minimum. Like John259 said, I had an 09 yz450f. I was much faster and rode a lot back then. I put 300 hours on it in 3 years, did a top end just because I was selling it. Everything was in spec except one valve needed one size larger shim. My 16 Husky was at 200 hours, needed absolutely nothing other than The valve stem seals were leaking because I over heated it at the Amherst mudfest.

Its a 450 and you aren't qualifying for nationals. The motor will be fine!

Romanyak256

PR Addict
don't even think about rebuilding the top end until 200 hours minimum. Like John259 said, I had an 09 yz450f. I was much faster and rode a lot back then. I put 300 hours on it in 3 years, did a top end just because I was selling it. Everything was in spec except one valve needed one size larger shim. My 16 Husky was at 200 hours, needed absolutely nothing other than The valve stem seals were leaking because I over heated it at the Amherst mudfest.

i had an 07 Yzf450 with almost 900 hours before it finally Grenaded on me. Every time i checked it valves were always in spec. It did start to smoke so i put new rings on the piston and a timing chain just because it was there. Older Yamahas ran forever.

jj584

PR Addict
From what I’ve been seeing used bikes are commanding a premium at the moment and dealer inventory is low. All that work rings in at what? $600-$700?

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
My full 4 stroke motors crank up have been around $1,200 - that's valves and all.

I should - but I don't rebuild my four strokes myself.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict

Good god that's a lot of hours......

jj584

PR Addict
I don’t think you need a crank and valves on a 450 at this stage. Def look into doing your own it’s not that difficult. If you want a green bike go for it but I think the rebuild will save some cash. Even new bikes cost a lump after purchase. Bars, grips, suspension, and all the other little tid bits we love.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
The manual may show otherwise, but you really don’t need to be doing all that to the bike just yet.
I do pistons on my 450 at 25-40 hours depending on race time and I think I run the bike pretty hard, would be comfortable going 60 hours but it’s cheap and easy to do myself so why not.

Valves are good if they are in spec. Once you have to start shimming that’ll be your first red flag.
Crank should go 200+ imo, if they go before that id personally blame manufacturing or my maintenance.

If the clutch is bad throw a new clutch pack in, otherwise run it. I get like 80+ hours out of a clutch.

Change your oil, keep the filters clean, and bearings greased, especially if you ran the bike through more than excessive mud at Wildcat creek.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
I will 2nd that Kawis are dirt cheap. I’m in the market for a new bike and they are tempting, but I don’t think that’s what I want.

Dano762

PR Addict
It is not the price of a new bike that chases me down the rebuild path. It is the freight, set up, administrative fees, and sales tax of a new bike. Those extra new-bike costs go a long way towards funding a rebuild.

Plus I like things better the more I use them and longer I have them. Kinda get attached to them.

oldmxrider

PR Member
Gee, I wonder why, I here You can’t get anything out of a used four stroke bike !

Work on more bikes in a season than most will do in a lifetime and have for many Years.

Have seen the carnage !

Seen the hours on them when ring flutter ruined the cylinder, when the bottom end rod bearing let loose and blew out the cases, when the worn valve springs float and let the piston hit !

Let alone if that thing lets go at the wrong time and injures a rider !

I am VERY old school and will do My best to keep the bike safe and on the track cost effectively.

Just My 67 year old opinion !

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I will 2nd that Kawis are dirt cheap. I’m in the market for a new bike and they are tempting, but I don’t think that’s what I want.

Yeah for 7ish out the door it's a really good deal. I'll probably throw a top end in this winter and keep moving - I don't like being caught between rebuilds in the middle of a season (especially for a crank) so if I'm close to that 100 hour mark I'll probably do the whole thing for peace of mind.

I really like my yamaha - glad I rode before I bought.