When did KTM overtake MX?

Toddco327

PR Addict
After watching some amazing racing over the past week at Lorettas, the one thing I noticed is KTM dominating the classes with the amount of riders they have is insane. I lump Husky in with them also.

Mini classes 95% KTM and Husky. Even the big bikes classes were its majority KTM. As for bikes I saw up front... even tho Suzuki apparently sucks... they had a great showing for the amount that were there. Same with Yamaha.

I guess my question is why so many KTM’s? Are they that good? Is it just what the cool kids ride? Steel frame? Or is it the internet telling you that you’re bike is crap unless it’s KTM?

Also I know moto is dead but how is KTM doing so well?

John250

PR Founding Father
Moto is NOT dead!! The races this year have been having record number of entries and crowds. Its been a great year for amateur motocross.

I do believe that everyone thinks KTM is the best bike out there. Lets be honest though. 99% of us could ride any of the big 6 bikes and we are going to finish about where we do now, the bike is holding no one in the local amateur ranks back. All the big 6 bikes are way better than 99% of us are riders.

DC817

PR Addict
I have been a Kawi loyalist for a long time. Owned alot of Kawi 250f’s over the years. That being said, I’ve rode a couple 350’s over the past year and loved them. Decided to pick up a 21 350 SXF about a month ago and can’t believe how comfortable I feel on it. Literally every part of the bike feels better than my Kawi’s ever did... even the dreaded air forks I think are really good once you find a decent setting.

Unfortunately I broke my leg a week ago but I cannot wait to heal up and get back on the 350. Honestly the most fun I’ve had riding... possibly ever. Maybe it’s the 350 vs 250f bringing up the fun factor so much but regardless, I couldn’t be more impressed with the KTM. Just felt super comfortable on it right away.

Vet261

PR Addict
KTM starts them young!

The Japanese brands sat around watching KTM build 50s and 65s for years and years and did nothing about it. Those 50 and 65 racers then want a KTM 85, which of course is better than the others because they actually update it. Then those 85 racers grow into a 125...oh jeez KTM is the only one that makes a modern updated 125!

So by the time a serious racer is ready for a 250f he/she has likely been racing an orange (and now white) bike for most of their life.

The final nail was hammered in when Roger D moved from Suzuki to KTM. He helped redefine the big bikes, made them add suspension linkage even if just for appearances, and they now dominate the starting lines.

hershey

PR Elite
I've rode and owned every brand but Kawi. I can honestly say that my Husky is the most comfortable and best handling bike I've owned. The RMZ cut a tight corner better but thats the only thing any bike has ever done better that I've owned.

The attention to detail is second to none also. Reliability wise, im with Pit. Never have had a major issue with any modern bike.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I really think the "starting young" part has played a HUGE role. How the big Jap companies can year after year ignore the 50 class is well over my head. Then you get into 65... same thing. Yamaha at least is trying with a newer 65 but others... I mean Kaw still rolls out the same bike they have for 30 years and expects what? Same for Suzuki with that 1988 - 2021 RM85. Come on, the tools are well paid off. Build something new. Honda? Yeah, they have no excuse. Personally this is why to this day I have never and will never own anything Honda. Of course it comes down to the green salad of salvation. The big bikes (IM SURE) have a bigger profit margin. But, not trying to brainwash them young has to kill the bottom line when these potential buyers get older.
KTM is hitting on all cylinders now. They pull the Husky name out of the ashes and a few years later...BAM. Now they are doing it with GasGas. In a few years there will be more red Gas Gas then Honda Honda.
How has none of the big brands not bought out Cobra? Hello Suzuki... Its the same color. Don't give me this crap the companies don't make money from motocross bikes... excuse me... KTM did it.

Roachy

PR Addict
They’re just a few years ahead of the Japanese. Quality, all there parts, everything is just a little bit nicer, yeah they’re pricey but you’re actually paying for R&D not new graphics.
I say BS, everyone spends big money on suspension and they look like they have 100 hours on them when they 40; unless your name is cameron.

Double D

PR Founding Father
Moto is NOT dead!! The races this year have been having record number of entries and crowds. Its been a great year for amateur motocross.

I do believe that everyone thinks KTM is the best bike out there. Lets be honest though. 99% of us could ride any of the big 6 bikes and we are going to finish about where we do now, the bike is holding no one in the local amateur ranks back. All the big 6 bikes are way better than 99% of us are riders.
I have had nothing but pleasure from my ktm. Had a couple few of them. Rm125’s my favorite bike.

Double D

PR Founding Father
When? Ask rocket I think he was the first one and started the Ktm revolution. At least on Pitracer.