Bought a KTM

jj584

PR Addict
Well we sold one of the kids 19crf250’s and bought a 250sx. He loves it so far, have the last Honda listed and probably getting an SXF. Take me to KTM school. Is there anything I need to do different on these?

Attachments

• 915261BC-C357-4532-A067-F553BF0B7A3A.jpeg
    915261BC-C357-4532-A067-F553BF0B7A3A.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 147

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Keep Screws very snug - not gorilla TIGHT
Check often when new - hardly ever after
Keep an eye on the shifter screw - very snug - not tight. it's a taper on the shaft
Keep an eye on the spokes when new
Silencer screws.
Motor mounts - head stay

Air forks -
Get your spring rate first ---- Set in middle clicker range, keep reducing pressure 3-5 lbs until he hears the clunk, go back up 3-5 psi and that's his spring rate.
The manual settings were off for me - ya gotta do the tests so he can feel the bike changing and it will change.
It can go from beauty to beast if not in the ballpark. Or from a sled to a scalpel. Take the time to try different pressures.
Now you can play with clickers

Don't make the chain too tight - keep some slack -

Last edited:

jj584

PR Addict
Keep an eye on the shifter screw - very snug - not tight. it's a taper on the shaft
Silencer screws.
Motor mounts - head stay

Air forks -
Get your spring rate first ---- Set in middle clicker range, keep reducing pressure 3-5 lbs until he hears the clunk, go back up 3-5 psi and that's his spring rate.
The manual settings were off for me - ya gotta do the tests so he can feel the bike changing and it will change.
It can go from beauty to beast if not in the ballpark. Or from a sled to a scalpel. Take the time to try different pressures.

We went to OIR Sunday, took him a session to get into his groove. After that he looked normal on it. I left the clickers in standard, started at 149psi as a recommendation off the net. We finished at 134 psi as the spot he liked the most. His only complaint so far was that rear wouldn’t settle. We have a lot more break in time to go but might have to drop the rear spring rate. He’s tall but weighs nothing at 6’2” and 155lb.

Dano762

PR Addict
Oh - and F-Yeah on the two stroke -!!!!!
Congrats and you are spot on with the two stroke trend - Used bikes, Beta, TM, KTM, Yamaha ......... Wonder if we see Honda, Suzuki, or Kawasaki make a move. Google search Two-Stroke Tuesdays - some spectacular stuff.

As a used bike craigslist/Facebook Marketplace addict, I have seen a big shift over the last few years. Two strokes are all the rage. Used 2-strokes have doubled or tripled in price - started before COVID. Sub $1000 bikes in 2018 are the new $3000 plus bike in 2020.

Look how much front page space is now dedicated to two strokes in the magazines. 2015 = no two-strokes; 2020 = two-stroke front page news every month. They are hyped and romanticized - partly because new 4-stroke are getting so expensive.

2015 to 2020

thumbnail_IMG_5081.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5089.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5082.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5084.jpg

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Silencer screws.
Motor mounts - head stay

Air forks -

Yea the suspension is so adjustable you can way right and way wrong in one day if messing with it. Can be frustrating but rewarding too. Still not where I want mine to be but I’m gonna try up 2 spring rates in the shock and a different linkage.

jj584

PR Addict
Ride it until you get tired of screwing with it, then go buy a Yamaha and you'll be happy.
I’m boycotting Japanese brands at the moment because dealers are adding Covid premium’s to the price. More than one KTM dealer was generous with pricing.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
My 17 husky 250f handled great stock. My 18 350 isn’t near as comfortable as that husky. Both have wp aer48. Wonder what stock spring rates were....

jj584

PR Addict
My 17 husky 250f handled great stock. My 18 350 isn’t near as comfortable as that husky. Both have wp aer48. Wonder what stock spring rates were....
Race tech site says the stock rear spring is what my kid needs at 155, I don't believe it. He s getting more deflection than dampening at the moment. They also recommended 145 psi in the fork, he was happy at 136.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Go softer until he blows through it.
I have a funny suspicion many of the specs are governed by the legal team as much as the test team.