PR Founding Father
20201107_125206.jpg

Attachments

• 20201107_125206.jpg
    20201107_125206.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 130

Bass 67

PR Member
Finally got the the 2021 YZ250F! State 8 had one. This is a new learning experience for me because my son has rode 2 strokes from the age of 5 to 16. Any tips and tricks of the 4 stroke trade would be greatly appreciated. From fuel to valve adjustment any settings that I could use. Thanks!

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
play w/ the maps! the 21 they moved a lot of the power from down low to try to get it more mid-top and it lost a lot on bottom. Coming from a 450 I missed that. Your son coming from a 125 he won't notice any difference, but definitely check the yamaha site and setup your power tuner app with the maps they have (and you can find some more if you look at some of the testing/review sites like keefer for example) theres a free rev map and a top end map, and a low end map.. My fav so far I think is the low end map, I'm leaving that & the top end map programmed in to give me 2 options depending on the track..even though it takes about 30 seconds to swap them out from your phone. Coming from a 2 stroke he probably won't like the engine breaking so much, the free revving map gets rid of some of that compared to the stock map for sure.

ive only got 1.9 hours on it, so I'm still adjusting.. but very happy with my 21 yz250f right outta the box. made a few minor clicker adjustments but even on stock settings it felt great. yamaha has done a hell of a job with that bike the past few years and I think it's got even better in 21.

Bass 67

PR Member
I did see a map that did get rid of some of the engine braking. Thanks a lot! We have some test and tune to figure out.

MX099

PR Addict
So is it a rule of thumb when you buy something new that you check all the bearings for grease?
Yes
Bikes don’t get a good grease job at assembly . This keeps them from leaking on the dealer floors in hot climates. I recommend doing suspension linkage, swingarm, and steering bearings

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
I would say yes, BUT i will say I was VERY impressed w/ the amount of grease my yamaha had. I would have been fine without touching it, but who knew.... It really only takes about 2 hours to do it. I also like doing it because when I put it back together everything gets loctite and hit with a torque wrench.

John250

PR Founding Father
I never bother checking bearing grease on my new Yamaha's anymore. Waste of time. They are always fine.

My son had a '19 with 60 hours on it. The valves we all fine and in spec. Yamaha does not have valve issues like some of the other brands.

Bass 67

PR Member
I’ve always used maxima 75 for the oil changes on the 2stroke. Would it still be good for the 4 stroke?