Follow Your Nose

NQ1965

PR Elite
I'm riding around in my golf cart early today running my Monday morning equipment checks, and as I'm coming between two buildings my nose picks up the distinct odor very similar to old school motorcycle 2-stroke oil being burned. As my brain began teenage flashbacks, I slowed up my speed to try to zero in on the source. I never did locate it but I couldn't shake the smell out of my brain the rest of the day. I've always recognized that fuel being burned takes on a stronger or different odor when the cold temps set in, and I've always kind of like that too.

I know we've had threads on 2-stroke oil one here, and I'm really not all that interested in oil performance information, but I'd like to know from some of you older guys what exactly was the 2-stroke oils that gave us that very unique appealing motocross odor.

I also recall from my teenage years that very unique fragrance given off by high octane racing fuel being burned. As a kid, one of our neighbors was into the RC-Airplanes that required HO fuel. And along with that, living only about 5 miles (as the crow flies) from National Trails Raceway dragstrip, where we frequented as often as we could, especially for Spring Nationals, the smell of racing gas absolutely filled the air.

And even though my kids really aren't that old, (thirties), they all recall the MX-smell, and always comment on it when the subject comes up.

The two names that always come to mind, but I'm not sure of the smell was always "Bell-Ray" and "Klotz"?

Last edited:

Frankie

PR Member
For years and years Blendzall mixed with race fuel was then and is still today my cocktail of choice. Castor oil and race fuel always had a distinct smell.. Or aroma would be the fancy term. Later in life I always said if they made an aftershave that smelled like it, I'd wear it.