RIP Pat Avery

Windtunnel36

PR Addict
I found my long time friend Pat dead in his home yesterday. He had some health issues but appears to passed in his sleep. He was a former rider racer back in the day. Still a huge fan of the sport. Went to many races to spectate including the last couple MXON, many Nationals, SX and loved attending the Grass Track races at Red Bud each year. The XR races were his favorites and he built several trick XR's for others to race. He worked at High Point many years ago for John Penton in the race shop. I have so many stories from that era of his life with many famous racers involved but I won't tell them this time. He didn't have much family left and it is sad that he died alone. He was one of my closest friends and will be missed by many. He had planned on going to the next MXON at Red Bud. Maybe we will have a memorial at the race in his honor. I hope you are riding and wrenching Pat.

Last edited:
Just registered to leave a comment here. I have known Partick since HS and he was one of my closest friends. We have gone to many races over the last 40+ years from USGP's at Mid-Ohio in the late '70's and just about every national MX & SX race in Colorado up to the 2020 National at Lakewood. The dude loved going to races of all type and his companionship will be greatly missed. Windtunnel36 (L) and Pat (R) outside St. Elmo's Indianapolis before the SX race. RIP buddy, we will see ya on the other
side.

Attachments

• IMG_1998.JPG
    IMG_1998.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 164

Vet261

PR Addict
Very sorry to hear, condolences.
We all know death is tracking us, but that doesn't make it any easier when we see it come for our friends and family.

Moto on Pat!

Windtunnel36

PR Addict
Thanks for the condolences pitracer friends. I thought of several stories of fun times with Pat and it's cool if you don't care but it helps me mourn my friends passing. That picture of Pat and I was in Indy for the SX race a couple years ago. I laughed at the picture of me wearing the Kawi shirt I got at MMVD's. We saw Marvin M and his wife outside of our hotel. We were chatting with him and I said I was a big fan. He looked right at my shirt and said I can see that. Another story, Pat worked at Sachs in Westlake in the late 70's. Not sure if they had something to do with Hercules motorcycles or not but seemed several there road that brand. Pat's Dad bought a Hercules Wankel engined bike about that time. My friend Dave is next inline to inherit it. But Pat borrowed a Sachs box van and my brother and Pat and I went to Watkins Glen, NY for the F-1 car race in 79. There were an estimated 300,000 people there. It rained most of the weekend and was a muddy mess. They had a band ready to play on Sat. night but it was too wet so it was canceled. People went nuts and burned at least a dozen cars in the bog. State police in riot gear came out trying to get things under control, it was madness. I was never at Unadilla for an MX race but some have said it was about as crazy. The race on Sunday was worth it. Mario Andretti was world champ at the time in the John Player Special. We left Sunday night to get home to go to work on Monday. We ran out of gas and drained the mopeds we took to get enough gas to get to a station. Fun times.

Windtunnel36

PR Addict
I thought of another story about Pat. In the late 70's a bunch of teams came to Ohio to practice for the USGP at Mid-Ohio. MotoX Fox team was here early and had High Point service there bikes. Pat had the cylinder off of Pat Richter's trick 77 Suzuki RM 125, so he took the porting specs and thought who else has a 77 RM 125. I did, so they ported my cylinder and put on a Moto plat ignition. Man that thing was fast, probably faster than I could ride it. I did win some local races. Went to the state championships at Mid Ohio and got smoked. But it was fun then and thinking about the fun times we had together. I also thought the first time I met Pat I asked if he liked dirt bikes. He said sure, I have a brand new YZ125. We were instant friends.

hershey

PR Elite
I found my long time friend Pat dead in his home yesterday. He had some health issues but appears to passed in his sleep. He was a former rider racer back in the day. Still a huge fan of the sport. Went to many races to spectate including the last couple MXON, many Nationals, SX and loved attending the Grass Track races at Red Bud each year. The XR races were his favorites and he built several trick XR's for others to race. He worked at High Point many years ago for John Penton in the race shop. I have so many stories from that era of his life with many famous racers involved but I won't tell them this time. He didn't have much family left and it is sad that he died alone. He was one of my closest friends and will be missed by many. He had planned on going to the next MXON at Red Bud. Maybe we will have a memorial at the race in his honor. I hope you are riding and wrenching Pat.
Sorry to hear that. RIP