Grenaded....well, lower con rod seize anyway...

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Well...these little 50's...so sweet when they are kicking it, but as seems to be on a timer...something is going to fail...

So we get to 62 last night, ready to kick it. Spence gets on the C track to warm up until sessions start, when flipping through the rollers within first few laps, but gets back up for a few more...then bike stalls on him.

I had to clean the carb the night before of which looked like the idle jet was the culprit, but all looked ready to rip after that... Did find out that the flip through the roller he somehow dislodged the throttle housing cover which at best let him only go half throttle. Not thinking this had anything to do with the seizing, but just the facts ma'm.

Anyway, hung out for a couple rounds of sessions and headed home. Wanted to wash and tear it down last night, but didn't feel like it. Plan to today. It's not kicking over. Either piston or something came apart inside and is lodged in cylinder or crank is seized I assume. Kind of hoping for the piston/cylinder issue, but even then, if pieces down in the crank, it really doesn't matter at that point...

Damn is all I have to say. Was really looking forward to seeing him on the track last night. Glad I decided to keep the KX home. Of course, one of our Cobra buddies has to say "you just need to get him off the KTM"...like the Cobra's are issue free...lol.

Is what it is. We'll see how soon we're back up and running. May have a 2018 PW 50 for sale here soon....lol

Cool. A little over an hour haul for me, but if they have the parts and/or can at least get them in short order, that'll be the ticket. Wheelsports said they were on backorder. Next will be someone to do the work if more than a top end. I have an extra cylinder, but never sent it out to get fixed. We'll see what joy we open up tonight... Thanks!

Well...looks like lower rod bearing siezed. Going to watch some vids to see if it's something I want to tackle. Did my Tecate motor back in the day, but I expect a little more performance and longevity than I did in my trail riding 3-wheeler days... This would have to be a little simpler with the auto clutch, etc., but....

Depending, I may have to use aftermarket parts if I want to get it going by next weekend. I'll call that AES in the morn...

Well, had to make an executive decision. Parts looked scarce both OEM and aftermarket in my limited search. RMATVMC had the OEM crank assembly in stock along with a piston kit and said it would be here by Tuesday. All I need to decide now is who is doing the work.

Anyone have a repair manual for a KTM 50SX, preferably in PDF format, before I buy one? Thinking a 2009-2022 will work for the bottom end.

Those bikes are the easiest to work on, no transmission. Do it yourself, if you can do a too end, you can do that crank. If not, bring it here and I'll do it for you.

Those bikes are the easiest to work on, no transmission. Do it yourself, if you can do a too end, you can do that crank. If not, bring it here and I'll do it for you.
I tore it apart last night. Was hoping/thinking maybe I could get by without taking apart the clutch side... Didn't think that through very well. Left it on the bench with the primary gear still attached. Other than that, I'll take the old crank assembly out then start putting it all back together. Would like to think I could be ready for 62 Thursday, but not feeling all that confident. Just too much unknown, really. Biggest thing holding me back is what bearings/seals to replace while I have it apart. More so the ones I have to split the cases to swap out...and also getting them out. Repair Manual says to put it into oven to heat up, yada, yada. Again, probably easy in the end, but just the time needed and more so the unknown of doing it right and potentially taking a wrong turn at some point and not finding out until Thursday at 62...lol.

Wish me luck. My bro in law next door pretty good DIY mechanic, so we'll see where we get tonight. ;)

I got my 65 manual from kristofsx.com for $10. Just fyi.
Found one on this site: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1168651/Ktm-50-Sx.html?page=5#manual

Thanks!

Back