Chillitown Regional

hershey

PR Elite
Wow, what a weekend. Word for the week?? Rain, lots of it.

Scott said 3" of rain earlier in the week so they let it dry out til Thursday night. Friday was a bit dry but good. Rain Friday night, sat am was good. They did a mid am prep that made it really smooth and easy. Then the rains came again sat evening. Over night it really let loose making Sunday insane. 2 really hard rains Sunday just put the nail in the coffin.

This was said to be the largest regional this year, it was packed. Austin was in the 10-12 85cc classes. 60 in one and 65 in the other. Didn't make it into the mod class but squeeked in through the lcq in the limited class. Ended up 18th OA so definitely making huge improvements thanks to Chris Whitcraft, lots of working out and plenty of seat time. So much fun to watch.

Really good battles all weekend. The super mini class was intense. Just to revisit the Malvern Qualifier post, let's look at lap times for a min. So the best lap all weekend was a 1:39 if I didn't miss anything. On sat with the smooth, easy track that was set in the super mini class. Austin got a 18th in his 1st heat of the mod class and ran a 1:49 lap time for his best. The leader in that heat ran a 1:44 for a best time.

On Sunday in the 2nd 85 limited mudfest, the leader ran a 2:14, 10th place ran a 2:36 and Austin logged a 2:53 in 20th place. The leader in Supermini 2 that was just a few motos later ran a 1:56. So Austin was 10 sec off the fastest lap of the weekend in 18th place on the easy track, in the mud and ruts, the technical stuff Austin does pretty good and was 39 sec off the leader in his race and 57 sec off the fastest lap of the day in like conditions. Easy tracks make close racing because it's easy. Difficult tracks make better racing because the best can truly shine.

All in all good weekend of racing. Glad we went for the regional experience, heading north for the last one this weekend, this year is learning for Austin in prep for next year. These large gates and races can only be experienced a handful of times a year, got to keep learning and be ready for making the ranch next year!

Last edited:

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Seems as if the Kenworthy curse is heading a little south. Always a mud fest or two at Chilitown. Guys it's not a curse...just weather in Ohio...

John250

PR Founding Father
Sucks for all involved. So much time and money invested to have a muddy s**t fest. Feel bad for Scott and all the riders.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Looking like the keyboard warriors are bashing on ctown. Man I gotta say one thing I would not wanna have ever is a youth regional. As for a promoter stand point it seems like absolute hell not because of the kids at all but the parents. At the end of the day based off what I have read people are clueless and are just pissed off parents because little jimmy didn’t get his tickets because of the mud. Everyone was racing the same track at the end of the day.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Looking like the keyboard warriors are bashing on ctown. Man I gotta say one thing I would not wanna have ever is a youth regional. As for a promoter stand point it seems like absolute hell not because of the kids at all but the parents. At the end of the day based off what I have read people are clueless and are just pissed off parents because little jimmy didn’t get his tickets because of the mud. Everyone was racing the same track at the end of the day.

I'll take it. Every year. Hands down. The yelling and voices you hear eventually go away. Now I would encourage promoters to have the law there. Without a doubt.

hershey

PR Elite
Hershey has some good stories even though he won’t go there lol. Defiantly earned my respect for speaking up when no one else did! Don’t forget to turn that gas on.
Oh yeah, almost forgot about that one. It's not about the track or program so I'll bite.

Dude is on the line with his kid when I'm up there with Austin in staging. He had been yelling at his poor kid most of the time up in staging and behind the gate but keeping it quiet. Gate drops, his kid takes off and stalls the bike 10' out of the gate. This very large burly guy with an entire hairy back full of Harley tattoo goes ape s**t crazy. Screaming mf'er and other profanities on and off while his kid is out there kicking his 65 like his life depends on it.

After about 10 or 15 seconds of this, I'm already starting to prep Austin's gate and I'm fuming. 40 parents looking around, some in horror, most ignoring and nobody saying a peep. I hit my limit at about the 5th mf'er and told him to lay off. He kept going ignoring me so I yelled it loud enough that he turned finally and told me to mind my own business. I just kept up saying he was acting inappropriately and his kid wasn't going to do any better or want to do this if he kept it up. At this point Heather is reminding me to let it go and finish attending to Austin before I get kicked out.

So I did, as I'm finishing prepping his gate,, the hairy Robinesque gorilla starts back over to me, Heather steps in from the fence to stop him. There would have been 2 hits, his fist, my face and me to the ground lol. Anyway he was calm and continued over to tell me next time be a man and pull him to the side and discuss my issues with him in private! I simply replied be a man and be a dad for your kid.

Turns out his kids bike stalled because the dad forgot to turn the gas on.