IS THIS WHAT A KX250 2-STROKE WOULD LOOK LIKE IN 2023?

Scoob

PR Founding Father
minn-7588.jpg

By Morton Larsen

“I am so pleased that you guys are doing a fine job in putting attention on the two-stroke bikes again. Our sport needs it. The motocross sport should not be for rich kids and Vet racers only. Our sport is not just about racing and getting new stuff all the time. Many seem to have forgotten what made out sport big. When I was a kid, I was so proud the first time I changed a piston myself on my first 80cc. There were many kids running around in the garage helping each other prep the engines. We did not have tons of money to buy new machines every year and if the engines broke, we still had a chance to work enough to pay for the parts. The social aspect was a big thing in the old days. We spent 100´s of hours hanging around in the garage working on the bikes.

“I like four-strokes, but the 250F killed it. I became an educated motorcycle mechanic and have worked with mostly motocross bikes all my life. More and more teenagers do not fix their bikes, or at least not their engines. Dad can not help them there either, and none of them have the tools for fixing a 250F. Poor Dad, when he wants to help his beloved son buy his first used 250F, they have no clue about the condition of the engine, and often (when the engine breaks) it will cost them two times the price of what they paid for the bike. 1½ years after the young kid stopped racing again...

Vet261

PR Addict
I know you're just quoting an MXA article....but wouldn't it be more accurate to say 2017-2020? That is the KX chassis used as far as body style.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
I know you're just quoting an MXA article....but wouldn't it be more accurate to say 2017-2020? That is the KX chassis used as far as body style.
Yeah, figure they might have used at least a 2023 frame, right? Curious what year engine they used. Not sure I caught if it said. They need to do a shoot out with the current Katoom models just to see how far advanced they are. In the end, the 2017-2020 KX 250 might run/ride a little better than my 2005... ???

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Keep dreaming scoob. Even if they ended up making a 2023 2 stroke you'd be in but out at the last minute !
Is all I got at times...better than no dream at all I s'pose. Yeah, I'll just wait until Spencer gets a factory ride to get his leftovers...haha Maybe someone should build a 2023 KTMawasaki?

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Yea !!! We need 2 strokes before they’re definitely more affordable.

also me: spending more money than I’ve ever spent on a dirtbike to buy a more affordable so rich kids aren’t the only folks to race….2 stroke.

hershey

PR Elite
Yea !!! We need 2 strokes before they’re definitely more affordable.

also me: spending more money than I’ve ever spent on a dirtbike to buy a more affordable so rich kids aren’t the only folks to race….2 stroke.
I always laugh at the 2 strokes are more affordable thing. Every 4 stroke I've owned has never needed a clutch or top end. 2 of my 450s git a top end when I was selling simply because one had just over 200 hours and the other well over 300. No valve shims were needed either. In that hour time frame I would have put 5-7 top ends in my 125 and at least 3 clutches.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
I always laugh at the 2 strokes are more affordable thing. Every 4 stroke I've owned has never needed a clutch or top end. 2 of my 450s git a top end when I was selling simply because one had just over 200 hours and the other well over 300. No valve shims were needed either. In that hour time frame I would have put 5-7 top ends in my 125 and at least 3 clutches.
Man, you must ride them like a pansy. Do you get out of 1st gear? Neutral?...300 hours at idle isn't saying much...lol.

Kidding man. That's good wear time due to good maintenance I assume. Last thumper I had was a 2007 KX 450. Two rebuilds in ruined the chance I get another... I am sure they are better these days, but I'll pass.

Last edited:

hershey

PR Elite
Man, you must ride them like a pansy. Do you get out of 1st gear? Neutral?...300 hours at idle isn't saying much...lol.

Kidding man. That's good wear time due to good maintenance I assume. Last thumper I had was a 2007 KX 450. Two rebuilds in ruined the chance I get another... I am sure they are better these days, but I'll pass.
My 09 yz450f got lots of hard riding time. But honestly I don't abuse them like many others faster than me, we all know that. Those 2 bikes were yamaha and a Husky. I've had 4 other 450s but didn't rack that many hours before I sold them but still over 100 and didn't do top ends. All of the others were yamaha and one RMZ

Must be the Kawasaki factor for you.

663dad

PR Addict
MPS produced one with a 2012 kx250f frame and used a 2007 KX 250 motor, my son in law had one

Attachments

• 338741C0-3DCD-4FA5-B833-7379EADB784C.jpeg
    338741C0-3DCD-4FA5-B833-7379EADB784C.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
My 09 yz450f got lots of hard riding time. But honestly I don't abuse them like many others faster than me, we all know that. Those 2 bikes were yamaha and a Husky. I've had 4 other 450s but didn't rack that many hours before I sold them but still over 100 and didn't do top ends. All of the others were yamaha and one RMZ

Must be the Kawasaki factor for you.
People don’t understand you can ride hard and destroy graphics while not actually riding the engine hard. I’ve never been the one to be revved out I try to ride smooth and always in the correct gear to keep pulling while not revving it out. Also people in air when the rev crazy there’s no reason for it. Hundred percent is the rider and how they ride the bike goes to how long the bike lasts and how well you take care of it. My graphics get destroyed from riding hard but the engine itself doesn’t because I don’t ride crazy.

John250

PR Founding Father
People don’t understand you can ride hard and destroy graphics while not actually riding the engine hard. I’ve never been the one to be revved out I try to ride smooth and always in the correct gear to keep pulling while not revving it out. Also people in air when the rev crazy there’s no reason for it. Hundred percent is the rider and how they ride the bike goes to how long the bike lasts and how well you take care of it. My graphics get destroyed from riding hard but the engine itself doesn’t because I don’t ride crazy.

Christian Craig was just interviewed and was talking about helping Haiden Deegan. Christian said he kept asking Haiden, why the hell are you revving the crap out of the bike? Stop. He said he told him to change gears, that's what they are for and you'll actually go faster. He mentioned some other names as well, and just said it was nuts that they needed to learn how to ride and use the motor and technique.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Christian Craig was just interviewed and was talking about helping Haiden Deegan. Christian said he kept asking Haiden, why the hell are you revving the crap out of the bike? Stop. He said he told him to change gears, that's what they are for and you'll actually go faster. He mentioned some other names as well, and just said it was nuts that they needed to learn how to ride and use the motor and technique.
Makes sense and is why I was faster than I ever was on the thumper. Still not fast by definition. I really do not know how to rev...well, unless I am wide open which only ever happened at the dunes. Dunes are fun, but yes, can be hard on the bike I s'pose...

Maybe Craig needs to talk to Barcia...lol.