AMA Gopro rule

hershey

PR Elite
So, brining up the past, can anyone point to a case where a gopro actually has caused an injury ? I know there has been mention of an incident where it was a possibility that a helmet mounted camera caused an injury. But where is the proof? And if it were an issue, why didn't we see a bunch of it or still see it with all the non racing helmet cam footage ??

Looking for track footage lately is not what it used to be. Setting up a camera on the chest mount isn't as easy as the helmet mount and our Garmin camera doesn't have a field large enough for catching everything when standing in the proper position and sitting.

I'm just wondering what the real issue is here. I just don't believe the break away force of a helmet mounted camera is more than a neck. Is it because the AMA can't monetize it? There was a big stink about that for a while. Is it because they don't want 1000 people coming up after races saying so and so cheated...I have proof?

MX099

PR Addict
I didn’t think the go-pro caused the injury. I thought that some of the creative mounting methods took away the effectiveness of the helmet.

John250

PR Founding Father
Anyone remember when GO PRO advertised on SX? No longer. My guess is Feld tried to extort even more money from Go Pro because of the race footage during races and Go Pro said to go pound salt. So Feld said, ok then, no cameras. I would bet $100 the conversation was very similar to that. It has zero to do with rider safety.

hershey

PR Elite
Anyone remember when GO PRO advertised on SX? No longer. My guess is Feld tried to extort even more money from Go Pro because of the race footage during races and Go Pro said to go pound salt. So Feld said, ok then, no cameras. I would bet $100 the conversation was very similar to that. It has zero to do with rider safety.
It's not Feld, it's the AMA

MX315

PR Addict
I know they make a smaller go pro now that fits under the visor ..But yes I miss the helmet mounted footage for sure.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
I know they make a smaller go pro now that fits under the visor ..But yes I miss the helmet mounted footage for sure.
Not only do they make the cameras so good and so tiny but also the mounts people use are tending to be on the chins of the helmet so if someone were to crash it really wouldn’t affect the helmet at all for what it’s built for.