Air Filters

John250

PR Founding Father
So I was reading this debate on FB about whether to oil a Yamaha air filter or not, and how often to change it.

I absolutely say you always oil your filter, but just enough to do the job, it should never drip. But here is where these people seem to freak out like I am harming my motorcycle. I look at the filter after riding, and if it is dirty, it gets changed. If it is not dirty, it stays put and gets used until it is looking dirty like it needs changed.

What's the point in changing the air filter if it is visably still clean? Why would I change it? I've survived 49 years of riding doing it this way.

Do some of you change your air filter if it's still clean? Why?

So I was reading this debate on FB about whether to oil a Yamaha air filter or not, and how often to change it.

I absolutely say you always oil your filter, but just enough to do the job, it should never drip. But here is where these people seem to freak out like I am harming my motorcycle. I look at the filter after riding, and if it is dirty, it gets changed. If it is not dirty, it stays put and gets used until it is looking dirty like it needs changed.

What's the point in changing the air filter if it is visably still clean? Why would I change it? I've survived 49 years of riding doing it this way.

Do some of you change your air filter if it's still clean? Why?
Oh no, you didnt

I'm not changing it if it's not dirty and has not gotten wet. If I don't intend on changing it due to good conditions or little ride time, I'll be careful while washing to avoid getting wet.

My Honda got dirty if the wind blew, so I changed it every ride. Yamaha seems a bit better in that regard. Went through Daytona the filter I left Ohio with.

Im with the im not changing it if its not dirty crowd. I always use FFT, get off my grass with that aerosol stuff.

I really wonder how GNCC riders make it 3 hours without stopping for a filter change.
Sometimes they stop for a filter….and dig handfuls of dust out of the airbox before putting the new one in. LOL.

Local fast guy Mike Pillar went viral washing his filter out in the creek at Ironman in 2021 mid race.

Sometimes they stop for a filter….and dig handfuls of dust out of the airbox before putting the new one in. LOL.

Local fast guy Mike Pillar went viral washing his filter out in the creek at Ironman in 2021 mid race.
That sounds horrifying. I'd literally push it back and load up to leave. Lol

II always use my battery powered shop vac to suck the dirt away before removing yamaha filter. I always oil with the correct amount. I always clean the filter after washing. I also use gasoline to clean my filter. then soap and water. I cannot believe the stained/dirty filters people think are clean. my filters can be a year old and still look brand new. I always check the glue making sure the gas has not destroyed yet

would have liked to see what that cylinder looked like after the tear down.. had to be wasted...

II always use my battery powered shop vac to suck the dirt away before removing yamaha filter. I always oil with the correct amount. I always clean the filter after washing. I also use gasoline to clean my filter. then soap and water. I cannot believe the stained/dirty filters people think are clean. my filters can be a year old and still look brand new. I always check the glue making sure the gas has not destroyed yet
Jim lemme make your life easier.

….notoil. Your wife’s sink.

Belray was my go to. But the convenience of notoil is awesome and superior in my opinion.. don’t tell my wife but I might throw filters in the washing machine.

They did recently change it up a smidge. I think the old formula was better. But still my airbox stays clean.

Belray was my go to. But the convenience of notoil is awesome and superior in my opinion.. don’t tell my wife but I might throw filters in the washing machine.

They did recently change it up a smidge. I think the old formula was better. But still my airbox stays clean.
i take them to work with me and clean them when i should be working.... lol putting them in the washing machine at my house would be a no no... :rolleyes:

Notoil here too, I put about 10 filters in the washing machine with the notoil cleaner and regular laundry detergent. They come out like new, environmentally friendly and the easiest way I've ever done it.

Back