Rough tracks for pros vs amateurs

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Not here to complain about rough tracks but one thing makes no sense to me. Why do we let amateur tracks get gnarly and rougher than a pro national track. After riding red bud this weekend I feel that that track in 450b which was the very last Moto of the day was the roughest track i maybe have ever ridden. To the point where I think the national track isn’t that rough. Also saw MX SPORTS had a meeting with all the tracks saying not to rip it so deep to keep racing better with more passing while also keeping it safer. So why are amateurs riding tracks rougher than they are wanting the pros to ride. Seems ass backwards to me

I’ve been saying that for years and then half the tracks run pro classes first. Big races way more bikes going across the track than a pro race and all types of riders so like the rollers get ate out way worse with people gassing between each digging out so I think it’s just more bikes is what makes it worse

Not here to complain about rough tracks but one thing makes no sense to me. Why do we let amateur tracks get gnarly and rougher than a pro national track. After riding red bud this weekend I feel that that track in 450b which was the very last Moto of the day was the roughest track i maybe have ever ridden. To the point where I think the national track isn’t that rough. Also saw MX SPORTS had a meeting with all the tracks saying not to rip it so deep to keep racing better with more passing while also keeping it safer. So why are amateurs riding tracks rougher than they are wanting the pros to ride. Seems ass backwards to me
You've answered your own question.
You're in 450B. It should be the most difficult.

This is the National Championship, the pinnacle.
It's as tough as it gets.

The Red Bud crew had the track ON POINT all weekend.
They never prepped.
Light sprinkles with the water truck - that's it.

Yes, it got rough. But not blown out by any means. All the jump faces stayed solid.
Getting rough is what happens when you have hours & hours of the best racers pounding a track.

Regionals are: A ROUGH track, 72 hrs of brutal conditions, and three drops of a full gate with AMPED racers !!!

If you're making the Statement:
I believe an Amateur Regional track is more beat up than a track the pros have been on.
Then I agree -!

Last edited:
Absolutely my statement is the regional tracks are way rougher to me than what a pro national track looks like. The breaking and acceleration bumps are everywhere where as a pro track would only be in areas before and right out the corner. Also the ruts are good ruts where as this weekend they’re all long and squiggly. The one thing you can never say about red bud and one positive is they are good at watering and the jump faces get zero ruts where as that part stays safe. The track was brutal though I hit a hole before that middle tabletop with the flag and it popped my tire coming at it so fast and it was so rigid and deep. I just think why the amateur tracks they allow for them to get so rough compared to pro tracks. I would love for the pros to come ride the day after a regional and hear what they have to say. Very excited to ride spring creek this weekend hopefully it’s really good

Ha yep, we call the run up to (T-2) (table two) (the flag jump)..the wheel breaker!!!!
Eddie Carbon exploded a wheel on that uphill.!

Because we need little Johnny next pro rider on a 65 to beat his chest and say we need it rough! Rough as tracks like that usually do not produce the best racing. Look at spring creek the last couple seasons. Not ripped near as deep and put on the best races two years in a row on the national circuit. Loretta's and the regional process is like AAU basketball. It's really not about the quality of the expirence. They just tell you this is the best of the best, prop you up to make you feel good while the promoters are cashing in at the bank and laughing at a whole lot of suckers.

I think its more how much the tracks being rode by different skill levels. We use more engine breaking and brakes and are natuarally going slower. Therefore the tracks turn out different. Look at vet fest, that many bikes, that many skill levels, the track just forms differently. Just my .02

Ha yep, we call the run up to (T-2) (table two) (the flag jump)..the wheel breaker!!!!
Eddie Carbon exploded a wheel on that uphill.!
I hit that huge pot hole in the Moto before I realized my tire was flat twice and it almost got me over the bars when I hit it so it had to be that hole

I would love for the pros to come ride the day after a regional and hear what they have to say.

Very excited to ride spring creek this weekend hopefully it’s really good
My guess is they have....well, not as pros. ;)
Good luck this weekend bud! :)

Back