Harsh reality of privateers and motocross folding?!!?

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
So we have all these people saying these privateers deserve a ride such as masterpool. But then everyone forgets that no one cares about Moto anymore. The teams aren’t going to sign anyone for just their talent in motocross. Don’t get me wrong masterpool is insanely talented and can hang outdoors but the money maker which is supercross he wouldn’t make a 450 main event probably. So makes me wonder if possible in the future we see factory teams quite racing nationals in total. I know we have lost quite a few teams for supercross only but if one factory team thinks it’s not worth it to race Moto anymore. Do you think it would fold all together? I hope it doesn’t happen obviously but with the thin field and everyone’s focus on supercross only I could definitely see it happening.

It’s a business. Factory’s, tracks, sponsors, riders etc. Moto isn’t dead. It’s thriving but most of us don’t see it because it’s not at eye level.

If moto was dead would clubMX have a team? If moto was dead would people know what MERP is? If moto was dead would GNCC be a thing? The answer is that moto isn’t dead. The investment by the teams/factory is calculated. The most exposure is MX/SX. The most riders are at GNCC events. So that’s why you see factory rigs at the nationals. That will never go away. But also the GNCC market is growing so you’ve seen an effort to give that more exposure.

Our sport is young compared to other sports. Football, baseball, soccer, hockey have been around for 100+ years. Moto has been since the 70’s and it’s a niche sport.

As for privateers going to other teams that will be few and far between. I can tell you right now that most of us have seen who Masterpools sponsor is, SportClips. There are contacts signed and dollars being exchanged. The days of being “a nice guy” are gone. Sport Clips is a corporate sponsor with dollars invested into exposure to their brand. They have a marketing department. HR department. Customer service. Branding and brick and mortar stores. This isn’t Larry’s Construction sponsoring him. So as much as we, the fans, would love to see it. It’s not going to happen until contracts are up and new ones are being made.

Just because your local gate has 4 people in it doesn’t mean the sport is dead. It means the dollar of the rider is being invested in different areas. Companies wouldn’t make bikes if they weren’t seeing a year over year increase in profit.

Never said Moto was dead. I know Moto isn’t dead. But to the factory teams to me it seems Moto is dieing. Supercross only teams and riders only riding supercross. Priority isn’t motocross anymore. Obviously money is the only thing to make it priority to riders. But that’s why I say I can see factory teams thinking well there’s no real reason to be here when we can just race supercross only and keep practicing till playoffs.

All the main factory teams are at all the events. Your satellite teams will pick and choose. That’s why Firepower Honda is doing SX/WSX. They have a more international presence. Plus budgets from title sponsors will dictate what you can and can’t do. The more you win the more you make from sponsorships and the more they pay you for you exposure if you do win.

Moto absolutely could be way scaled back by the factories. If the "money" stays in SX and WSX, you will see the factories get behind that program if that is what the top tier riders want to ride and if that is where the exposure is for their brands. The nationals could then be for those others that want to ride outdoors, and the factories would support satellite teams to run the nationals at a fraction of the budget they give. Look at the Canadian Nationals as a perfect example in my opinion. I can see American outdoors going more that level of racing. Then the superfast outdoor riders, they go GP.

We already see it. The SMX playoffs, not one round is at an outdoor track. They are man made tracks at Charlotte, Chicagoland, and LA. Places that have access to lights, seats, cameras, restrooms, concessions, etc. Why? Because that is how they make the most profit. I don't think Matthew is far off on his thinking. And look at the top talent not racing outdoors that are on the WSX gate. All those guys make a 40 man gate in the outdoor nationals if they are there. When I read the rosters for both classes, I was like wow, they are not riding the nationals?

I also would not be surprised if you see less and less top talent focusing on Loretta Lynn's in the future. Once these top tier guys get into the B class, the focus will be on SX futures and that is where they will showcase themselves. Not at a regional or some track in the middle of Tennessee.

WSX will not be around in a couple years, no talent is really riding there and the seats were empty. Need profit to continue.

American MX won't go any where, SX will grow for sure but seriously, how many top guys run SX only?? Just the older vet end guys who are at the end of their career or these young gate fillers who can't hang outdoors.

MX is far from dead.

We have already saw that Loretta’s doesn’t matter anymore. All the star boys have been skipping Loretta’s and going straight pro. They ride all the races leading up to it and qualify but just skip.

Back