Air Filter Cleaning Process

Scotty810

PR Addict
What system does everyone use for air filter maintenance? Specifically, I'm looking for the filter brand, type of oil you use, and how you clean it.

Now that I live in an apartment, I need to find an efficient/clean way to deal with this hassle. Previously I've used gas to wash them, then a soap and water mixture, then oil them. I don't have a place to do that now. Anyone use No-Toil in their house (sink or washing machine I've heard...)?

i use twin air & no toil air filters but for fiter maintenance you can't beat no toil! i use it in the sink or if i got alot to clean at once the washing machine is good too!!!

Agreed, can't beat No-Toil. The new No-Toil oil also has no alcohol carrier in it so it's even cleaner to use.

I've washed filters in the washing machine many times with No-Toil. Works great and no issue.

i pull my air box off every ride and clean out with the hose.. and then clean the filter with simple green and reoil with belray filter oil.

no-toil for sure. been using it for the last 5 years or so. I love it and it cleans the filters very well. I've had several filters last like 2 seasons. I think thats pretty good out of a $30 foam air filter that gets washed just about every week!

if you run out of no-toil filter cleaner ive found that a tub of oxy clean does the job just as good if not better than the notoil stuff!

Well us quad guys soak our filters in sopay water inside our beer coolers on the back rack of the four wheeler, we usually run around all day with sloshing around in there, that way it gets good and clean. Take it out there before you drink to much back at the camp, that way it can air dry before you hit the trail the next day.

So with the No-Toil you pull the filter out of the bike and toss it straight in the washing machine? Once its clean, air dry it and then re-oil and you are done? That sounds awesome...

Correct.
No-toil has special bio-degradable oil and filter rim grease that cleans up with their cleaner and water. If they are really dirty I usually clean them in a sink a little bit first just to get most of the loose dirt off, them toss them in the washer. The washer spins them almost completely dry and they look like brand new.

If you only have one filter it's not really worth running the washer, just clean it in a sink. I have several so I save up the dirty ones until I need to wash a load, them toss them all in.

No Toil is a household item under our kitchen sink. :) The stuff is great.

P.S. Make sure you get the green. The green is the newer stuff, the red is the older and we have had problems with it eating the glue on the filters.

Back