Project budget college commuter

streaks383

PR Addict
Alright my goal is to get a bike I can commute to college with. Parking is everywhere and the pass is only 45 bucks yearly. Right now I have a 1990 Yamaha RT-180, bought it as a basket case for 50 dollars. I have 200 into it total now after it was bored out and rebuilt, running good. It has a lighting coil and a rectifier thing on it already. Two stroke but oil injected so I can fill up at the pumps. It is only 99 dollars a year to insure it through Geico. I have a new flat track tire for the front lying around I will put on it. Now I need a headlight, tail light, turn signals, key ignition switch, control switch for the light and turn signals, brake light switch, mirror and a horn. I found all of these on Ebay and can get them shipped to me for 200. The cheapest dual sport tire I could find was 45, 60 after shipping. This puts me street legal for 460 bucks total. Does anyone know if the bike is a 12 volt or 6 volt system? If it is 6 volt can I run 12 volt lights, not going to be run on the highway (clearly). Or does anyone have any ideas?

Well does it have a 12v or 6 volt battery.That would tell you if the system is 6 or 12>If you run 12 volt bulbs it would be really dim in a 6 volt system.And if you put 6 volt bulbs in a 12 volt system they will go nuclear and burn out.

Back