Cylinder boring and honing

jamartin01

PR Member
I haven't needed cylinder work done in a while, but I'm currently in the need for a bore and hone. Who do you guys use for that work locally or do you send your stuff out somewhere?

What is the cylinder off of? My understanding is that these cylinders (thumpers anywase) are so hard with the new materials that simply honing them out is sufficient. So when I put new piston and rings in my 450, I just used one of these stone type hones that I bought from Autozone. All you have to do is break the glaze and put a nice cross hatch pattern in. Not sure if that's what you are looking for or not....

I guess I should have been more specific, haha. Its for a service honda CR500 I picked up late last summer. Im going through the whole bike this winter and it's due for a top end. The cylinder doesnt look too bad, but is definetly worn in places and i'd like to get it cleaned up. Havent had a two stoke since my 01' cr250 and the guy I had work on it is no longer in business. None of the 450's I've had since have needed cylinder work.

I know many of the vintage and post vintage bikes owned by people on here have been bored by Breyley Yamaha in North Royalton.

I've also had two cylinders bored by Eric Gorr while doing porting. Well, I guess three now that I just built the RM144!

I would use Eric Gorr if you want to send it out, if you want to do it locally Action Sport Cycle in Alliance has always done a great job for me at reasonable pricing.

Back