05 CRF 250R Clicking at top stroke

mthalt10

PR Member
i got a 05 crf 250r and when i get the kick starter at the top stroke and kick it a little past the top stroke it makes this "Click" noise, also when i turn the engine off it makes the "Click" noise a couple times. it does not make the noise when the engine is running though and the motor runs strong. does anyone know what this "Clicking" noise may be?

It sounds like the auto decompression, BUT! "theres always a BUT" the valve should not be sticking or hanging up and causing the click sound. You could have a valve hanging up then snapping back closed or a weak or damaged spring that is not closing the valve fast enough before it is past the small decompression pin. In either case the valve should not be clicking back closed after passing over the decompression pin. The reason you do not hear it while it is running is because the the decompression pin retracts for full compression.

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! take this advice and have it looked at. If the valve floats and hits the piston you "WILL" be in for major repair work instead of just a valve job on the head. Thats minimum. If it happens at the wrong time (face of a jump) it "WILL" be disastrous.

NOT WORTH THE RISK!!! I KNOW DEEP DOWN YOU DON'T WANT ANYTHING TO BE WRONG WITH THE BIKE "BUT" YOU KNOW it is not supposed to make that clicking noise. DON'T RISK IT.

i freak out at any little noise my motor makes. ive had too many bikes blow up at real bad times. any little noise and im tearing stuff apart lol.

good luck

thanx for the advice. i will take your word for it and get it checked out. its better to fix it now then later like you said.

Peace of mind

Peace of mind is absolutely priceless, and the last thing you need is second guessing the dependability of your equipment. Especially with your life potentially on the line.
An easy way to resolve this is to go to some dealerships and slowly kick over a few of the same bikes new or used.
This will cost you nothing except some time going around to some dealers, and it will put your mind at ease (as far as "is the Mechanic, or shop just taking advantage of you") or prove to yourself that the bike has an issue in the top end.

Good luck and remember safety first. This sport is risky enough without any issues with your equipment.

compression release i promise....take the valve cover off and roll the motor over and you will see what makes the noise....the reason it makes that noise when u shut it off is because the compression release works on centrifical force

yeah i ride a 05 250 and it was bugging me alot to, i tore apart the top end to find it was just the compression release, its meant to make it a little easier to start and the clicking is just the sound of it hitting the rocker arm opening the exhaust valves just a tad bit to release access pressure, after the bike is started the centrifugal force disengages the compression release mechanism, the sound also happens when the bike reaches low RPMs when the bike is being shut down.

MX25

Back