KTM Suspension Experts??? HELP!

KTMkarl794

PR Addict
OK guys here's the deal, bought a 09 KTM 250 SX (yes the two stroke, because they rock) but I'm having some major suspension issues. Originally the rider before me was 135 lbs, so FCR had totally re-worked the suspension. The bike handled great but I bottomed out on braking bumps it seemed like. I ordered some .45 fork springs (.44 stock, FCR had put .38's in it) new fork seals and took her over to PDR to have him switch springs, and change the oil front and rear. When we pulled it apart we found two different size (length and diameter) fork springs (wtf!?) and the Rear Shock had been gutted and changed from a progressive rate dampening system to a straight rate dampening with a progressive rate spring (which by the way was the wrong diameter spring and was wrecking havoc on my shock body).

PDR and I put the stock rear shock spring back on (which is NOT progressive), new fork springs, new oils, new seals, set the sag and I took it to the track. While yes it's stiffer, it handles like crap, I lose the front end in corners, blow through the stroke on big jumps and bottom hard (enough to blow the new fork seals) and the rear end bucks like a freaking bronco coming into corners.

So my question is this, who is the KTM expert around these parts. I'm unfamiliar with the new closed cartridge forks, don't know what has been done to the valving by FCR, and don't know any of the new KTM suspension "tricks."

I'm familiar and comfortable with the old (2002) "open" forks where I could adjust oil level and compression to play with bottom resistance and plushness, but these new forks, I don't know where to start.

Any help advice is appreciated!

Back