Anyone Good with Car Stereos?

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
I have the stereo in my Tahoe screwed up....I used to be good at working with car audio, now I don't have the patience or time.

I have the 2003 factory Bose audio system with AM/FM and 6 disc CD changer. I tried adding an "aux" out to connect ipod, mp3, etc. Can't get it to work, and worse I now have it where my CD changer won't work either.

HELP!

I got the adapter. My factory stereo has 3 plugs on the back -- main wiring plug, antenna, and then the open Aux wiring plug. I purchased the GM adapter, it all plugs right in but I can't get it to work. The adapter has jumpers inside it and the instructions stated to set one way for radios that have a CD/Aux button and the other way if they didn't have that. Mine does have the CD/Aux button but any way I set the jumper it still didn't work.

Worse yet, after giving up and putting it all back to stock my CD player won't work now. When I start the truck the CD icon blinks but if you hit CD nothing happens. If you hit eject it says "no discs" (and there are 6 already in there) and if you hit load it does nothing but the blinking CD icon goes away.

Thanks Dave for the link, I can't get there from work but will look at it when I get home.

Funny how the littlest things push you over the edge. At one point my mind pattern shifted to "I bet the new Tahoe's have this all built in....maybe I should buy a new truck!" haha.

I dont think that link will help you. It is just a post of what adapters to buy to do what you need. Sounds like you may have sent a spike through the stereo and shorted something inside of it. Hopefully Im wrong !!!

I do know that the dealerships send their stuff out to be worked on, try calling them to find out who the repair shop they use is and contact info. They may be able to atleast tell you if you need to repair it or reset it somehow.

The new trucks will fix that problem for you !

if you need to replace your stereo check out crutchfield,when you buy a receiver from them they include all the necessary adapters to install it in your vehicle

Don't feel bad. The CD player in our last GM Bose system died after maybe 5 years. You're ahead of the curve!

Thanks Halfpint, I've used Crutchfield before, they are great.
I stopped at a local car audio shop tonight and as expected, their only real answer was to basically just try and sell me a new system.....

Now I'm wondering if a complete unit out of a newer Tahoe would work......hmmmm.

Pit, I know you have already been to a shop but there is a place in Sheffield that is AMZING with ALL car systems.. I get all my stuff from them and they are VERY knowledgable about all systems.. B's Car stereo in Sheffild/Elyria right by World Gym and Gander Mountain. If you have time pop in there and see what they have to say. They have always helped me in the past.

Back