shot in the dark regarding a part I need

mooch

PR Elite
I have no idea how I did it but the upper fork tube (brake side) is tweaked on my 2006 YZ250 and it needs to be replaced.

I found a complete set of 2006 YZ450 forks on ebay that I can buy cheaper than buying just a new upper tube and I might go that route. Couldn't find just the 2006 upper fork tube online anywhere.

Thought I'd check to see if by some super-slim chance anyone might know of anyone having an upper fork tube laying around for a 2006 YZ250 (crazier things have happened I guess :) ) The part numbers for the 2005 and 2007 are different than the 2006 part so I'm locked into needing the 2006 part.

Oh...Thanks to Parma Dave for locating the slight tweak that was causing my front forks to feel like crap.

Try Action Sport Cycle in Alliance. They helped me out with a lower fork assembly once.

Sorry to here that mooch that sucks. At least you found the problem, little consolation. You know ones out there somewhere its just trying to locate it. Good luck.

Brian, Alliance is an option I forgot about...I ended up getting a few hard to find 81 YZ250 parts when I was putting that bike together. I'm torn now between hurrying up and buying the forks on Ebay as I'm paranoid they'll get bought out from under me (it's a "buy it now" price rather than being an auction) or risking it and waiting until tomorrow to call Alliance. If I bought the complete forks on ebay I could try to sell the other parts I don't need.

John, I have no clue how that tube got bent as I've not had any big get-offs with that bike...heck, it even has the original stock bars on it. Parma Dave told me the slight tweak that's causing the binding is about 6 inches up from the bottom of the tube, so that couldn't have been caused by tightening the triple clamp bolts to tight. Dave said he put the upper and lower tube on a "V block" to measure any slight runout...the bottom (and less expensive) bottom tube was ok.

Pretty much an expensive mystery as to how that sucker got tweaked.

Sorry to here that mooch that sucks. At least you found the problem, little consolation. You know ones out there somewhere its just trying to locate it. Good luck.

Yeah, I was riding the bike with that binding fork last summer and knew something was screwed up but just ended up riding my post vintage bikes more just to stall off doing anything about getting it fixed.

Thanks Jim...and yep, you're right about 2008 being a different part number.

The 2005 forks weren't SSS, and then after 2006 the upper fork tube wall was thinner to build in more flex.

a few years ago I messed-up some internal suspension parts and thought I was screwed. after checking all over with everyone wanting major dollars, I called Factory Connection. they were able to help me with just what I needed @ an unbeatable price. give them a call, it cant hurt

Back