How much it is worth??

Fix it. I will be curious how much it really cost you for the rebuild....sometimes I think the $$$ figures sound higher here than what they really end up being.

Jon Bring it over Tuesday and we will tear it down and get it all figured out! I kinda forgot. Ill get ahold of you tomorrow.

I would look into repairing the engine or possibly buying an entire replacement engine or bottom end and use the head and cylinder if they are OK. Might be less work and hassle and probably the most cost effective.
Parting out a bike may take a long time and become quite a hassle.
Selling as a whole, you will probably not receive much for it.
If you can find another complete motor it would be a simple swap. then sell any parts of the engine that are salvageable or retain for spares for yourself.

Just my 2 cents.

As a former power seller on ebay with more than 6,000 feedback, I can tell you this: There is a reason I walked away from it, as MANY have over the last 3 years. I could type for an hour on horror stories as well as success stories. Trust me when I tell you, the general population has gotten very wise to "the ins and outs" of how to make that system suck. Sale prices are way down, fees and shipping costs are way up. Chargebacks are commonplace and you end up with no part returned and no money. Do not part your bike out unless you want your head to hurt and your hourly wage to hit an all time low. Bite the bullet and fix it & ride it or basically give it away and move on. Ebay is not what it once was. If anybody wants any more info on that whole ball of wax, PM me your phone number and I'll fill you in.

Jon- You're insane fast, talented and intelligent. You'll get it handled one way or another. See ya soon.

I think Service Honda sells brand new engines. Not sure what the cost would be, but it may be worth doing by the time you buy all the stuff? Not sure....

Scotty810 is onto something there.......... Service honda may have done a crossover and have a good engine laying around to sell!!!! That might be a hot ticket!

What exactly happened to your bike? I just bought a used 09 CRF450 and was wondering if there is anything I should look out for.
Thanks.

I had a huge problem on my 09 yz450. I posted it like a year and a half ago now. Had the bike for 6 months and the crank went out the front. I went to a Yamaha shop to see how much they would charge to fix it and it was like $3800.00 and i told them theres no way!!! So i asked if they could get me a motor and they did and it only cost me $1700.00 with shipping. But i also bought the bike from them and i knew a few people from there. But I still have the bike and its running awesome and rode all last year on it. Freshining it up right now with plastic, graphics, tires, chains, sprockets, and checking valves. So my advice would be get it priced then if its way to much look for another motor. I was really happy i got my bike back after not riding while the bike was down but i didnt have to wait for someone to finish the motor cause i got a new one slapped it in and went riding!!!

As a former power seller on ebay with more than 6,000 feedback, I can tell you this: There is a reason I walked away from it, as MANY have over the last 3 years. I could type for an hour on horror stories as well as success stories. Trust me when I tell you, the general population has gotten very wise to "the ins and outs" of how to make that system suck. Sale prices are way down, fees and shipping costs are way up. Chargebacks are commonplace and you end up with no part returned and no money. Do not part your bike out unless you want your head to hurt and your hourly wage to hit an all time low. Bite the bullet and fix it & ride it or basically give it away and move on. Ebay is not what it once was. If anybody wants any more info on that whole ball of wax, PM me your phone number and I'll fill you in.

Jon- You're insane fast, talented and intelligent. You'll get it handled one way or another. See ya soon.

I only sold a couple of items from my part out on eBay. For the most part I listed everything on ThumperTalk and that has worked pretty well. It's a slow go.. and some of the people are idiots. But if you can deal with some annoying emails and people that have no money demanding pictures of every angle of a brake lever...it's not too bad.

What exactly happened to your bike? I just bought a used 09 CRF450 and was wondering if there is anything I should look out for.
Thanks.

I think my problem was just a lot of hours of hard riding. I prolly had 70-80 hours on it (at least).
I think the bottem of the rod let loose from the crank, broke my cases, broke the piston, and cylinder, and whatever else down inside. My mechanic, Nick Stevens, is tearing it down tonight, so I should have a list of parts to start shopping for.

Back