Nuclear Plants in Japan

Scotty810

PR Addict
Everyone following this? I am AMAZED at how horrible the coverage of this event has been. The info babes and talking head of the 24 hour news channels are just spreading fear and panic. With all this hype, they are going to keep the U.S. from building more nuclear plants. We need more. People don't get it.

Everyone following this? I am AMAZED at how horrible the coverage of this event has been. The info babes and talking head of the 24 hour news channels are just spreading fear and panic.
Agree100% with ya Scotty…. Anymore, the media is downright repulsive.

The really interesting part about the media to me :

Have you ever watched al jezzera news ? I only have a few times for a couple of minutes, but the story that comes from a non american news agency is COMPLETELY different than our media normally. Now this was on middle east news items, still I think we as us citizens tend to think we aren't fed propaganda from our own government

Here is an article from NEI (Nuclear Energy Institute) that I received yesterday.

"UPDATE AS OF 9:40 P.M. EDT, MONDAY, MARCH 14:

An explosion in the vicinity of the suppression pool at Fukushima Daiichi 2 just after 6:20 a.m. Japan Standard Time (5:20 p.m. EDT) may have damaged a portion of the reactor’s primary containment structure.

Pressure in the suppression pool has been reported to have decreased to ambient atmospheric pressure shortly after the blast. Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) has reported possible damage to the reactor’s pressure-suppression system. Radiation levels at local monitoring stations have risen but are still in flux. TEPCO has evacuated some workers from all three Fukushima reactors with the exception of approximately 50 workers involved in sea water pumping activities into the reactors as part of emergency cooling efforts.

Residents within a 20-kilometer (12.5 mile) zone around the plant were ordered to evacuate on Saturday following a hydrogen explosion at Unit 1. Another hydrogen explosion occurred this morning (U.S. time) at Unit 3.

Efforts to inject sea water into Unit 2 have been complicated by a faulty pressure relief valve. The fuel at Unit 2 has been exposed at least twice, before being re-covered with sea water.

Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary, Yukio Edano, has said a partial defect has been found inside the containment vessel of reactor 2 at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant."

I am currently taking a nuclear engineering class, and we asked my professor (a top nuclear expert in the country) for his thoughts. Thought I would post them in case anyone is interested....

"This elevates this disaster beyond TMI. Two issues are of concern.
First, like TMI, hydrogen explosions have stressed the primary containment vessel, but in this case, it appears that there may be a permanent leak. The reactor vessel, a strong tight concrete structure which contains the suppression pool is now the primary containment. It is good that the pressure has reached ambient - if I read it correctly as NOT being vented directly to atmosphere - as that means that the suppression pool is condensing heated gasses. The problems with the pressure operated relief valve (PORV) is similar to that of TMI when the operators attempted to reflood the reactor - seems like a common problem in a LOCA/overheat situation - the gas bubble acted as a vapor barrier to incoming liquids.
Second, by pushing sea water into the reactor, there is much more activation of products (primarily minerals) that can become radioactive. Since the reactor is in shutdown, this is minor, given the low flux of the reactor. Sea water is, however, corrosive, which will lead to more containment issues as time goes on. Additionally, many of the minerals that are injected tend to oxidize. In an oxygen deficient high temperature and high pressure environment, this further separates hydrogen from the water - increasing the potential for explosions.

The primary work must still be to cool the core. After this, the crisis will be averted and the long process of removing the core will be at hand.

Some news correspondents have discussed a lot about radiation coming to the US. I have two comments. Firstly, the primary gases of concern (if venting instead of severe explosion) are I-135 to Xe-135. Their half lives are 6.7 and 9.5hr respectively. Thus with dispersion and decay as it traverses the Pacific it is unlikely that radiation levels in the US will increase beyond a slightly measurably amount (remember we can measure picocuries - there are 520 picocuries of radiation in a banana - giving us the silly measurement of a BED (banana equivalent dose))
In the case of an explosion (like Chernobyl - which is a different type of reactor, or from nuclear bombs) the high temperature of the explosion (much more energy than the hydrogen gases that seems to be the cause of the recent explosions) put the debris into higher elevations and they are carried by the jet stream. This is a very unlikely scenario.

This said, it is not a very good week for nuclear energy and more so the Japanese people. The nuclear crisis at present is a bad diversion for a country that should be at task searching for survivors and sadly burying their dead. It will be interesting in the months to come to see what the overall reaction of the US will be."

Back