Sweet 89 CR 500

Ahhhh the memories. Last time I raced my old (1995) CR500 was at DMC in 2004. I got a LOT of weird looks as that thing shook it's way down to the starting line.

That bike was also fun in the college boy (16-24) class in the mid to late 1990s. Most everyone else was on 125s. Holeshots fell like rain.

Why in the #$% did I sell that bike?

Thinking back, what made the 89s so fun on a track is that they had a 15+ HP gain in only 1000 RPM at the steepest part of their dyno curve. The bikes were nearly 50 HP at half max RPM, and they peaked over 60 HP (stock). 89 was the first year for the lowboy layout and those bikes actually turned really well once the forks were set up. They started worlds easier than the older CRs thanks to a small change above the exhaust ports. Funny thing was Pro Circuit did all of the cylinder work for Honda's CR500 National motors.

I have no doubt Rose's CR was a rocket.

I would love to try a real 500. I rode a KX500 once back in the 80's and was terrified of it, never rode one again. Of course I now have an RM465 but those bikes are pussycats and only make about 40hp.

Great, I want one now....

Lucky for you that Suzuki didn't keep up in the OPEN Class and make RM500's into the late 80's and 90's so you are off the hook! Or you could get a CR 500 and get yellow plastic for it and put some suzuki stickers on it!

Or just stay away from the 500's altogether, there is a reason they died out without any 4 stroke influence on that........ they were too much motor for regular people to actually ride and control! Powervalved 250's killed the OPEN Bike back in the day with their big HP numbers and more usable friendly power.

How about this RM 500:
100-0057_IMG.jpg

Thanks for the photo now I want a 87 RM 125 !

Well of course you do. Is there any old bike that you don't want? :D

I rode Open B because it was the easiest class, easier than the 30+. And riding a light '89 ATK 406, even with it's old Rotax 399 motor and weird design was kind of like cheating.

Scan071, January 26, 2005.jpg

Back