Supercross triples.....not that high

trent56mx

PR Addict
Ok this one is grinding me. When Emig says they are 35-40 feet in the air! I'm saying 10-15.
Unless someone can give me a rational explanation how you can ascend to quadruple the vertical height of the take off jump.

anybody that can go that high off a standard super x triple can have my truck. I'll even leave the spare change in the ashtray

been going to super x races since 1990. at kenworthy's one year they actually put up a pole with the height by the widowmaker on national weekend. have a picture of myself at a whopping 12'. that jump was around 70 feet long

Yeah but that was 12 feet from the top of the jump if i remember right. He is saying 30 from the ground. 15 foot take of + 15 feet easily from the top of the take off. I say thats pretty accurate.

yeah being a nerd now. link to the above picture. measure height from bottom of the the rear wheel to top of his head. little less than an inch. saying that is 7 feet. Bottom of his rear wheel is 2 inches above the bottom of the tough block directly below it. 14 maybe

Ok this one is grinding me. When Emig says they are 35-40 feet in the air! I'm saying 10-15.
Unless someone can give me a rational explanation how you can ascend to quadruple the vertical height of the take off jump.

anybody that can go that high off a standard super x triple can have my truck. I'll even leave the spare change in the ashtray

I think there are some that MIGHT make 20 ' off the floor. Last year at Indy one of the triples shot the riders straight up, I thought it looked higher than normal. But in any case I think that is rare. I'm with you on this one HB, Emig is dramatizing !

They do it for tv. They want it to sound crazy for people who just happen to stop on it while flipping through the channels.

Anyone remember him saying that Larocco's Leap was like jumping as high as a 4 story building or something stupid? I have a picture of me at the peak in the air, with a flagger directly below me. If the flagger is 6ft tall, it puts the bottem of my wheels around 20'-22' high. Thats closer to your gutters on a 2 story house than a 4 story building!

Stop it you guys....you're busting my bubble..... in this photo at Grumpy Valley, I was jumping the 95' double, and was 30' in the air....lol

View attachment 2758 Grumpy big double.JPG

Sorry, still learning the picture thing. Different bike and long, long ago sharc...lol

Attachments

• Grumpy big double 2.JPG
    Grumpy big double 2.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 206
nice grumpy valley (RIP) pics. that is super x size ups.

and I agree about sometimes 20' captain dave on taller/steeper than normal faces

have walked many a supercross tracks. Triples are huge, 15-20 up is huge. Just, ahem......not THAT high

Only time I claim to have been around 30' was on the nut bag double at spokes top track

Only time I claim to have been around 30' was on the nut bag double at spokes top track

I can vouch for that jump being 30' off the ground ! I personally witnessed hells bells heller jump that and it is by far the largerst jump I have ever seen in person. And I have been to plenty of pro sx and mx nationals !

Back