Used bikes

jfalat

PR Addict
How far would you guys drive to look at a used bike? I have been looking at a yz85 for my son ,but dont know if driving 5 hours is worth it when all you have to go on is some pictures.

Yes, a long drive for a used bike is a bummer, I've been lucky when I've done it and the bike has been as described, but could easily go the other way. I just passed on a bike because of the drive, about the same distance.

Have them meet you in the middle. Use Google maps agree on a time and a safe location. Then get each others cell Numbers in case of any problems.
Also this keeps em honest. If they know all is good on there end and no problems, then they are more likely to spend time and drive to meet you. On the other hand If they have a POS, or not fully disclosing any issues, its not as likely that they will roll the dice to meet with you.
This changes the game for the seller. If you drive all that way to them, they loose nothing if you walk away. If they drive to meet you now they have something to lose when you meet if it is not exactly as described.
If they are not willing then you probably saved yourself Lots of drive time and fuel cost.
BUT (I hate the BUTs) NO guarantee. I have done this with other items and had PPL show up with Junk.
Met a guy about a Van once. He didn't want me to drive it at first then when I did he insisted I turned around less than 1/4 mile in a drive. Why? the Auto transmision wouldn't shift. Then he acted like I HAD to purchase it because He met with and allowed me to drive it. "Left that Jack A$$ standing in the parking lot." Wasn't the first and Sure it won't be the last. Just goes to show you. Some times you win, sometimes you loose. All you can do is try to put the odds in your favor and do what is best for YOU.
GOOD LUCK! Remember to Trust your gut feelings.

I have done this with boats,cars and bikes my experience is that if you wait it out you will find something closer if you look hard enough. I have been digging around on craigslist alot lately and there are a ton of 85s for sale. My cousin has an 08 kx for sale for 1500 if your interested.

Thanks for the input guys...wwracing i think i have looked at every bike on craigslist about a hundred times, but my son wants a yz now.... it was a rm 2 weeks ago ...maybe in a few more days he will switch to a kx.. LOL...

I think the YZ is the best 85 going right now. I think you should be able to find one closer than that though.

It may have already been mentioned but bikefind.com is an awsome web site for locating bikes

Shocking revelation that John250 thinks that the YZ is the best 85 going right now. Here's another shcoker for you..... I think the KTM 85 is the best 85 going right now. Actually the KTM 85 is a very large motorcycle for an 85, so depending on the size of your kid.......... it might be too big a bike. But it has all the cool goodies that other KTM's have...... hydraulic clutch, 4 different bar pacement positions, aluminum bars, etc all stock. I have one that I use for chasing my little on and it's amazing how well I fit on that 85......... and it's fun to ride.

The KTM is a great 85 too. But is big. The Yamaha is one of the smallest 85s. But from what I read the Yamaha is a great bike.

I think all of the 85's have their strong points for certain riders. I read a report on all of them last year and it gave the rider that each was suited to........ they are just geared to different size and style riders. Find out which your rider is and get him the correct bike for his style and size and you'd be better off than buying specific brand...........

Drove 4 hours to look at a 2004 85 for my brother. Hit the jackpot. Thing was mint almost never ridden, still had the tits on the tires and got it for super CHEAP. Under 4 figures!! And the 2011 aren't any different from 2004's. The plastics weren't even scratched. The fork guards...factory flawless. The tops of the pegs still had the factory paint on them. No boot wear or anything. I was just in utter amazement.

It's hit or missed though. 5 hours, if the price is right and you're pretty sure it's not gonna be a flop then go for it. Factor the difference of a new bike with what you spend in fuel and buying the used bike. If its a big savings from what you're going to have fork out at a dealership then you HAVE to go look at the bike...

And like Robin said they have their points for each rider. But a RM 85 is very snappy and nimble, easy to pick up on...they turn great and don't fall on their face on an inexperienced rider like the yamaha's do. Seems like yamaha's are fast but you need to have a good well rounded rider on them to use the high power band. And then again experienced riders use the RM 85. I think its well rounded and great for a beginner that will push hard when the experience comes along as well.

Having a kid getting out of the 85-supermini class last year, I think the majority of bikes were RM,YZ, and KX. We had a honda and loved the reliability but we were for sure the minority. There were very few KTMs.

It seems like there are a lot of yz for sale... and i think my son really want a yz because i ride them.. but if i find a good deal on a rm i would buy it.. i just have a hard time finding what i think is a good bike.

I never had Rms on 80s. Borrowed tony gallos at KROC for the mini shoot out and felt right at home on the Suzuki. I always had yamahas. And a Kx 105 for my last year....

How experienced is your son ?

Georgie... he is coming off a ktm 65 and is not a bad rider. i would like to get him a bike the is easy to ride. if he wasnt that short i was looking at a sweet kx100, but i dont think he would come close to touching the ground. i know there is a rm on here that looks good but its a 4 hour drive just to look at it.

My sister rides an RM 85 and my girl friend rides a yz 85. The RM is much much easier to ride than the yz. Rm has a power valve and it certainly makes a difference. The YZ hits really hard and is a bit much for a young rider. However if your son is a talented rider and can keep it pinned the yz would be the way to go. If he rides in the bottom or mid-range at all the rm is the way to go. I ended up putting a flywheel weight, a size down front sprocket and had the cylinder ported on the yz to make it user friendly. This is not saying the RM is weak on top, it just has a wider powerband and can be lugged more than the yz. My good friend (adult female) has a cr 85 expert and it was in between the two, hits harder than the rm but not as hard as the yz, bottom and mid was better than the yz but not as strong as the rm. I rode a kx 100 when I was a kid but I can't tell you the power characteristics, I was nothing special, top 5 rider in supermini. But I climbed lots of hills in hillsville with my dad and managed to do all the doubles and triples at the local tracks with it. I don't remember being scared of the power so it must have been pretty smooth.

Post up your year and price stipulations maybe somebody on here has scene one local to them or knows somebody selling.

Joe, YZ 85 are fast / but hard to ride (think pipey)
The RM's are much more forgiving but still plenty fast....

.....and 5 hrs. seems long.

Back