Painting

What's the matter ? Afraid to get over spray in that sweet workshop of yours ? LOL..... Seriously though I have always had great results using the spray cans and hanging the frame with tie wire. The frame area is so small the cans get great coverage. Use multiple light coats. I had mine powder coated a few times and honestly the job looks the same but the powder coat holds up better.

If you dont like the spray can idea I can get the body shop down the road to paint it, we always trade work off. He did my latest helmet for me and it turned out great. He owes me anyway, we just wired a new lift for him.

Prolly hard to hold a paint can steady with that whole whooping cough thing going on huh?

It's gotta suck to have something like that linger on for soooo long.

I've painted some stuff in my garage but it's a pain. I'd rather just take it somewhere and have it done right with quality paint; no mess or fuss for me. Especially the yellow I need, it tends to get all over everything. Half my floor is still yellow from painting forks last Winter.

If I cannot find a good spot local for decent price or trade I will likely end up doing it myself, somehow. Probably exactly how Dave said.

Funny thing is I've checked with body shops before....they are very clueless when it comes to dirt bike stuff and I've gotten quotes of like $800 to paint a frame. Obviously that's not going to happen. Dave if the body shop you are talking about is realistic with pricing let me know and I'll check into them. I would bring a bare, blasted frame ready for primer and paint.

Why not get it powder coated? I've had a few done and it holds up nice and doesn't wear off as easy as paint.

I can get it done for you at the cost of paint only. Most likely have to buy a pint of paint because that is the smallest size they will sell most paints in. The best bet is to get a color code you want to use so there is no question about what you are going to get.

Personally if it were mine and I was going to ride it somewhat I would do like Greg said and powder coat it, it's worth the money. If not I can get it done for you, I'd say less than $100 if the color isn't too outrageous. the red for my car was just over that and it is usually one of the most expensive colors.

Can't really say that I am a big powdercoat fan after starting on the 84 CR250. Quite a few places the powder coating is chipping away without much resistance. Seems that you would need to have the part prepped really really well before coating is applied or no adhesion. And the fact that you can't do touch up sucks.

John-- I'd have thought you'd have learned your lesson with powdercoat by now. IMO-- it's bogus on frames. Crunches when you tighten engine mounts and such. Call Marksman. I talked to Mark about a frame before, and we talked about $150- $175. That's baked on too. I'd rather have a relatively thin coat of paint rather than a thick one, as it seems like thick paint seems to chip. Another place that I used before was Fantastic Finishes on Pearl. They did a decent job on a 110 frame for me for $100.

Don't forget about that body shop supply store around the way that will scan a color, and mix you up a can of paint, then sell you a clear coat with a hardener to finish with. I swear that I've had better results with Duplicolor epoxy in a can, than some high dollar paint jobs. Keep me posted, cuz I need a frame done too. --L*64

Yes, I know. I'd say the most likely result of this will be me going to the supply store and getting some of that nice epoxy paint and spraying it.

epoxy paint is holding up great on my pit bike frame and i kinda beat on it pretty good through the woods and stuff lol

still waiting on price for powder coat from a guy in akron that did my wheels... ill let you know, always good to have options

What's up Stacy? What kind a pit bike ya got?

John-- I think Biddy has a Snap On paint gun sitting around.... why not try and learn how to paint stuff ourselves? I always have something that needs painted. We'd just have to go to that auto body supply shop and get paint. --L*64

I can paint. Remember my old Toyota 4x4? I re-painted the bed on that myself....with a roller. Just kidding.

I just don't have a good place to paint without making a giant mess. Maybe I will work on taking the single door slot of my garage and whipping up a temp paint booth setup that can be setup and torn down easily.

What's up Stacy? What kind a pit bike ya got?

John-- I think Biddy has a Snap On paint gun sitting around.... why not try and learn how to paint stuff ourselves? I always have something that needs painted. We'd just have to go to that auto body supply shop and get paint. --L*64

just painted my 50 frame. i got a piranha 125 too but its pretty crappy lol

Sounds sweet. Is it a stock fiddy?

Yeah-- a temporary type of paint booth. I've seen some refrigerators on the side of the road on trash day that we can use to bake the paint with.... Ya gotta get real bead blast cabinet too. --L*64

nope its set up for 50 stunting.. street tires, pegs,12 bar, has stiffer springs bars exhaust etc its pretty laid out but definitly not for dirt. i take it in the woods sometimes anyways hahaha. .street tires dont help it out much in there thats why i got that 125 to beat up in the woods so i can leave that one on pavement.

take it to ace powdercoating. im actually looking to take my rm frame there real soon. they normally charge 150 for frame and swingger. (thats sandblasted, prepped, and powdered) so for a frame alone im guessing 100? iv had them do a mini frame, to see how they do an they did a good job and nice guys to deal with.

located right off 77 on 241 near hartville

Stacy-- So you're stuntin' on that thing huh? Haha! You should get a set of dirt wheels in addition so ya can ride it in the dirt too. I'm about to lace up a set of 12 inch motard wheels for my 110 stocker for road racing. I have an NSF100 I'm working with, but the 110 should be pretty fun as a pavement racer. I love it on pit bike tracks already. --L*64

Back